PDA

View Full Version : Ladyfinger WIP

stoney
05-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Acrylic on matboard. I could have sworn I had started a thread on this. Oh well. I had to wipe out the top third as the styilized sky didn't work. So, this is where the work stands at this point in time.

At first, the intention was to paint a type of workboat named "Ladyfinger." Then I took a close look at the waves generated. They said 'storm.' Couple that with either 'creative spelling' and/or a lack of education and/or someone trying to work in a foreign language and all sorts of other possibilities arise.

Storm. Workboat. Workboat or lifeboat? Is the boat empty? Is someone laying in the bottom of the section you can see (survivour or corpse)? Or is everything fine and the other part of the picture when it comes into view will show this? Or not?

It's intended to generate lots of questions and no answers.

I'll make adjustments in the water reflections once I get the sky back up. I've also got to show the side planking on the starboard inside.

xreader
05-31-2004, 12:54 AM
Very nice, Stoney. I am intrigued by the various images that come to mind as you relate the possibilities. :confused: I will be looking for the final. :clap:

stoney
05-31-2004, 01:00 AM
Very nice, Stoney. I am intrigued by the various images that come to mind as you relate the possibilities. :confused: I will be looking for the final. :clap:

Thank you. :)

I find it interesting how the 'mood' or 'intent' of a piece has the tendency to head in a new direction part way through.

Yokovich
05-31-2004, 01:18 AM
do I get to be the one to point out the transposed letters??
awesome colors stoney!! great design. I like this alot

stoney
05-31-2004, 01:22 AM
do I get to be the one to point out the transposed letters??
awesome colors stoney!! great design. I like this alot

Deliberate transposition.

/quote
At first, the intention was to paint a type of workboat named "Ladyfinger." Then I took a close look at the waves generated. They said 'storm.' Couple that with either 'creative spelling' and/or a lack of education and/or someone trying to work in a foreign language and all sorts of other possibilities arise.
/quote

Thank you. The work is dragging me along. :)))))

stonewhiteclown
05-31-2004, 08:24 AM
It's a winner, Stoney! Very delightful transparent water, and yes, questions are there :) Love the speed.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

stoney
05-31-2004, 11:35 AM
It's a winner, Stoney! Very delightful transparent water, and yes, questions are there :) Love the speed.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you, kindly, Alex... :)

Dyin
05-31-2004, 03:41 PM
ahhh, the questions...doing a nice job of showing some of the boat beneath the water and it's good to be creative in so many ways!

stoney
05-31-2004, 04:54 PM
ahhh, the questions...doing a nice job of showing some of the boat beneath the water and it's good to be creative in so many ways!

Thing is, I'm 'winging' it. ACK!!!! (it's fingernail biting to the elbow time) :)

stoney
06-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Whew! Completed! I think I've got a very 'angry' sky and distant heavy wave action. Hopefully, it generates the question of incoming storm or outgoing? In which case, it may increase the 'wondering' and the tension.

Celia
06-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Nicely done, Stoney,........ and a story to boot........ the sky is lovely, or scary, depending on the time of day........ you did a great job.......

celia

stoney
06-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Nicely done, Stoney,........ and a story to boot........ the sky is lovely, or scary, depending on the time of day........ you did a great job.......

celia

Thank you, gracious lady. Hmmm, generating a story based on the picture. That would be easy to do....I think I'll let it 'percolate' in the 'back of my mind' for a bit and see what I come up with. :)

stoney
06-08-2004, 03:43 PM
(snip)

I'll make adjustments in the water reflections once I get the sky back up. I've also got to show the side planking on the starboard inside.

"You see? I was right!;" Chicken Little shouted in triumph. "Validation! At last, validation."

( couldn't resist commenting on the inadvertant 'hook' in the prior post )