PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 29 Eiffel Tower (meets the iceberg)

stoney
05-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Acrylic paint on scrap matboard, second attempt. First attempt was a disaster and I painted over the whole thing and tried again. This one, after about an hour and a half, wasn't much better. Too much trouble with eyesight and fine motor control left much to be desired. I'll probably wipe it out in a couple of days and use the matboard for something else.

Ah, well, it happens.

A frame shoppe in town gives away their scrap matboard, which is a big help in the learning process. :)

dabblerdot
05-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Doesn't that just choke ya, when you try so hard and the darn thing doesn't work the way you planned ??? :mad: I don't think you should give up on this- you've got a good start on the tower, and I'm dying to know what you have planned for the large tan area. Actually, I'm impressed you have time to paint at all, with hosting this weekend's very wonderful WDE !! :) :)

stoney
05-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Doesn't that just choke ya, when you try so hard and the darn thing doesn't work the way you planned ??? :mad: I don't think you should give up on this- you've got a good start on the tower, and I'm dying to know what you have planned for the large tan area. Actually, I'm impressed you have time to paint at all, with hosting this weekend's very wonderful WDE !! :) :)

Well, double-vision (permanent) isn't known for its depth-perception qualities, but the lack of fine motor control is what 'did me in.'

Tan area sides and then in front of the tower itself would be a line of trees.
Side tan area would be background. Green area would be lawn. Sun from the left so there would be lawn shadows. Foreground tan area would have a lady holding her little boy's hand while he's got 'big eyes' at what he sees (body language).

The tower was the real disaster, but it looks like (from your reaction) it isn't as bad as I thought. Yes, the left leg is fixable. It was all the rest of the paint blobs and wavy lines which irritated me.

Thank you for the compliment on my hosting the WDE. :)

A lot of it *was* 'time travel,' back into a time long past. One shot I almost posted was of the street side of Parliament (London) before they dug down about 30 feet for, effectively, what's now a dry moat inside the wrought iron fence.

Yokovich
05-31-2004, 01:35 AM
hey stoney I think your work looks great despite your grousing!! your flair shines through and if I were you I would not worry about making things look "too" realistic anyway--what you have going on is heart --there are plenty of artists who can make things look super realistic--scads of them--originality is what the world needs! you just keep doing what you are doing--your style is unique and valid --it stands on its own merit.
(matisse worked from his bed when he became "impaired"!!)

Celia
05-31-2004, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the great WDE ! ! !...... Well Done ! ! ! your Eiffel Tower is coming along nicely....... give it a chance, and post updates........ thanks again.......

celia

vanityfaire
05-31-2004, 06:17 AM
This is going to be just fine. I like the lines within the tower. Keep going with it. Its your turn to shine here...vanity ;)

YYcat
05-31-2004, 08:38 AM
I agree with the others, just leave it for a moment and you will know what you have to do about it later. I like it so far. :D

stoney
05-31-2004, 11:11 AM
hey stoney I think your work looks great despite your grousing!! your flair shines through and if I were you I would not worry about making things look "too" realistic anyway--what you have going on is heart --there are plenty of artists who can make things look super realistic--scads of them--originality is what the world needs! you just keep doing what you are doing--your style is unique and valid --it stands on its own merit.
(matisse worked from his bed when he became "impaired"!!)

Thank you. No, realistic or super realistic is beyond my capabilities. I have fun with things, although there are times this broken body is irritating. This was one of them.

Tagline: Fighter pilots do it with chaff and flare.....

stoney
05-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the great WDE ! ! !...... Well Done ! ! ! your Eiffel Tower is coming along nicely....... give it a chance, and post updates........ thanks again.......

celia

You're very welcome, and I will continue with it.

stoney
05-31-2004, 11:13 AM
I agree with the others, just leave it for a moment and you will know what you have to do about it later. I like it so far. :D

Thank you, Joanna. :)

stoney
05-31-2004, 11:14 AM
This is going to be just fine. I like the lines within the tower. Keep going with it. Its your turn to shine here...vanity ;)

Thank you. :)

Drumbeat-trish
05-31-2004, 01:16 PM
I like it the way it is - there is no doubting what it is -and I think the large tan area accentuates the tower. I understand the frustration of the hands not doing what the brain is trying to tell them :)

Dyin
05-31-2004, 03:45 PM
I am so thrilled the mat scraps are working for you! I think this still has possibilities. I have trouble with my motor skills sometimes too. Just calls for a different approach...maybe more suggestive or for me, working in a larger format works. Main thing is you beat IT and not vice versa!

stoney
05-31-2004, 04:22 PM
I like it the way it is - there is no doubting what it is -and I think the large tan area accentuates the tower. I understand the frustration of the hands not doing what the brain is trying to tell them :)

Thank you. I'll continue to work on it in a couple of days.

stoney
05-31-2004, 04:35 PM
I am so thrilled the mat scraps are working for you! I think this still has possibilities. I have trouble with my motor skills sometimes too. Just calls for a different approach...maybe more suggestive or for me, working in a larger format works. Main thing is you beat IT and not vice versa!

The battle is constant. As people have told me before, I still can do things, but piecemeal and at a slower pace. It gets irritating from time to time and I get stubborn and try to push things. Usually such becomes the exercise in frustration, like here.

I've been working on figuring out the angles involved (sketching so far) on doing a section of the berthing area on a DDG. Such is from a grounded and centred viewpoint showing all the stuff that's 'shoehorned' in along with it-from memory.