PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 29 2004 - a very nervous Rock Quarry WIP

theIsland
05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Acrylic on stretched watercolor canvas, 12"x9"

Finally found time to paint this weekend, and as soon as I sat down, the tornado sirens started going off. So this is two hours of work done while watching news reports, petting a nervous cat with my free hand (she wanted to crawl onto my painting, to be closer to me), downing three cups of coffee <jitter jitter>, and sticking my head out the door every time I heard anything that sounded remotely like a "freight train." The painting is not nearly done, but I think I did pretty well under the circumstances, for a California girl who'd rather feel the earth move than the air. :) Now I'm going to retreat to the basement with the pets and relax awhile, keep fingers crossed that the hubby makes it home from the Pacers game okay, and finish this painting sometime during the week.

Noma

Dyin
05-30-2004, 09:21 PM
this is a lovely start...great bold colors! Oh poor baby, I lived in tornado country for awhile...had two skip the block I was in and had one across the street that just dipped a tail for a second and cleaned out their trees and garage. Pretty scary stuff. And none sounded like trains really. But they did have huge sound. I'm sure you'll be alright and so will hubby...let us know!

dabblerdot
05-30-2004, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your tension-filled painting session, but I think the energy transferred to your painting with great success !! This has a powerful intense feeling in the bold colours and movement in the snow lines- great stuff !! (Is that cat hair I see in the bottom corner :evil: -just kidding!) I expect by now that hubby is safely home, and I sure hope that all goes well for you in your little corner of the world. Makes you wonder what happens to all the little birds at a time like this....

stoney
05-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Acrylic on stretched watercolor canvas, 12"x9"

Finally found time to paint this weekend, and as soon as I sat down, the tornado sirens started going off. So this is two hours of work done while watching news reports, petting a nervous cat with my free hand (she wanted to crawl onto my painting, to be closer to me), downing three cups of coffee <jitter jitter>, and sticking my head out the door every time I heard anything that sounded remotely like a "freight train." The painting is not nearly done, but I think I did pretty well under the circumstances, for a California girl who'd rather feel the earth move than the air. :) Now I'm going to retreat to the basement with the pets and relax awhile, keep fingers crossed that the hubby makes it home from the Pacers game okay, and finish this painting sometime during the week.

Noma

Indeed, you did very well under the circumstances. I understand the preference for the earth moving rather than the air. The latter happens much much much more often than the former.

Deano
05-31-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi, Noma...There's a tornado watch in my area until 4am. Guess it just comes with spring. I really like your start here. Intense colors. What do you use to mix such dark blacks? It's gonna look great when you're finished. :clap:

xreader
05-31-2004, 12:34 AM
I love your colors and outlines...a neat effect. :)

Yokovich
05-31-2004, 01:25 AM
Island could paint a fantastic painting with eyes shut. ah, for just a tiny bit of your color sense! give me a tad of that zeal!! let me try on that bold confidence! another beauty! wish the little clappie man could also play god save the queen. lol :clap: :clap: :clap:

vanityfaire
05-31-2004, 06:23 AM
oh my gosh, this is so crisp and bright. You might want to paint with tornado warnings again..ITS A TWISTER AUNTI EM hope your keekee made through ok. Poor baby. --vanity

theIsland
05-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Got a little more done on this last night - maybe another hour or less. It has a serious case of the "yuckies" right now, but all my paintings do at some point. Or several points. ;) This one is going to be harder than usual to fix, so I'd probably abandon if it was done on a scrap of something. But it's on stretched canvas, and I feel obligated to finish when I use the "good stuff."

All is well with us this morning. The cat expressed her displeasure with the evening's events by biting my hand in the middle of the night (like I caused the bad weather!). And the hubby was not blown off his tiny spotlight platform located in front of a huge expanse of west-facing glass, 100 feet in the air. The closest tornado touched down two miles from where he was working, and seven miles from me at home, taking the roof off of a convalescent hospital. No deaths in Indy, just injuries and property damage.

Deano, my color mixture varies for darks. I think in this one I was using mostly a mix of cad red tempered with a tiny bit of burnt umber as a base. To darken that, I might use viridian, thalo green, thalo blue, or dioxazine purple. Or all of the above. Thalo blue gives the deepest, darkest "black." I don't premix the red and the cooler color, because I want some strokes to be warmed by more red, and others to carry more of the cool color. I usually have a "warm" brush and a "cool" brush loaded, so I can alternate. My black lines are done with a Pitt artist pen with a brush tip. I love those things, because they're loaded with India ink and so easy to use.

Noma

katju
05-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Noma,

It sounds like our weather made it your way this weekend, but I don't believe we had any tornados as close to us as you did. Hallam, Ne which got "leveled" is at least an hour away...You know, I don't think I even heard our sirens going off last weekend. I must have been too engrossed in painting. Fortunately, I'm already down in the basement :D .

You manage to interject lots of life into the plainest of subjects. Your rocks look warm and inviting. I'm just waiting for a critter or two to come out of a crevice to warm itself in the sunlight. :clap: :clap:

Kathy

Deano
05-31-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm very glad that you and yours are ok after the too close for comfort touchdowns last night. Hope you have a great Memorial Day. That's an interesting approach, using a warm and cool brush, with acrylics yet. I usually use one brush and try not to overmix so that hints of the colors are visible when applied. With two brushes loaded, you'd have to be on your toes to prevent accidental drying. I'm tempted to try thalos now.The cool part of my darks have been Ultra Blue, Diox Purp, and Viridian Green. The warms : Aliz Crim and Burnt Sienna. I like the Pitt Pen idea. Thank you, Noma, for your answer. :D

Deano
05-31-2004, 10:48 AM
:D Lol. Sorry...I was so busy yakkin about color that I forgot to comment on your beautiful painting. It's not "yucky" to me. I can see that great "Noma style" emerging. It will be an inspiring piece when you're done. :clap: :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
05-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Well the sky is clear in your picture :) This is going to be a stunner - I have an urge to sit on the big middle rock and feel the warmth !!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

stoney
05-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Well the sky is clear in your picture :) This is going to be a stunner - I have an urge to sit on the big middle rock and feel the warmth !!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Turn to about the 7 o'clock position from the pic's observer point and walk about 6 metres to a long slightly inclinded rock-good place for a nap! :)

cmwynn
05-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Those dramatic colors leave me breathless. Glad there was no close damage.
Connie