PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Stream

Lopaka
05-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Although this is not a view of the ocean, it was suggested I post it here in hopes that some one will be able to give me some ideas.
This is just a practice sheet and at first I was having trouble making circular ripples in the pool at the bottom of the picture, but now I see I need alot of help in my small areas of moving water.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated before I attempt this picture on a 1/2 sheet.

LisaArt
05-30-2004, 10:30 PM
This is looking great. I love the colours and the rocks and shadows are very well done. I think you just have to work your water a little more. ;)

Marty C
06-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi Lopaka,
It's a little hard to make out the detail of the water with this image. The thing to remember about painting water is that you are not painting water, you are painting the reflections of the objects around the water and the refractions of objects under the water. Thus the water largely takes on the colour of the objects around and under it and it is the value of the colour and the form of the object which varies. Ripples are reflected and refracted light of these objects. So your moving water will be curving lines of the predominant object's colour in various values to portray the reflecting and refracting light, interspersed with very light value /whites to indicate aerated water.
This applies more to rivers, in the sea the colour largely reflects the sky in deeper water and the bottom colours will appear in shallower water.

Lopaka
06-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Marty,

Thanks for the great input on this and Shore Break. I am using watercolors and a 1/2 sheet of 140# paper.
Trying to keep all of my pictures pretty well standard in size as there is a place I can buy ready made frames when using a 3" mat.
I have only been painting water colors for about a year and I am like a sponge soaking up all the info I can get.

Bob.

Bobbo
06-01-2004, 07:03 PM
wonderful tips from marty(and he should know!)

one more thing;
that blue tape would drive me mad!! it is sure to mess with your colors
better to use something natural

Lopaka
06-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Bobbo,

Thanks for the tips, as I have said I am somewhat new and need all the help I can get.
Thanks again.