PDA

View Full Version : Muriwai Gannet Colony

gnu
05-30-2004, 01:38 AM
18x24", acrylic on canvas(pink ground). Knife painting...my fave thing to do!!
X-posted in Structured Critiques..you don't have to comment in both forums..:)
I have asked for help on the sky/horizon, any confusing areas/tonal value problems, and if any more detail needed in the sea..

any comments greatly appreciated..I have no other eyes here!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2004/7242-IMG_6080Muriwai_Gannet_Colony_sm.jpg
P.S. going for semi abstract here..not necessarily super realistic..just believable and hopefully expressionist...(or whatever you'd call that :D)

Marty C
05-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Hi Gill,
Very nice work, the pink is actually showing through a little in the sky.
The sky/horizon is fine, a distinct line is not always evident and can blend, making sea and sky impossible to differentiate.
I would love to see some complimentary colour in the cliffs to provide contrast, give some lift and break the blues a little.

LisaArt
05-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Gill, Nice work here. You handle a knife amazingly! I think the sky and horizon are also okay. I think the sea is looking great.
I agree with Marty about adding some contrast in the cliffs

gnu
05-31-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey Marty! *waving across the tassie*..
there is a definite hazy area over this horizon..quite hard to get right though..
I am definitely going to add warms in the land, I guess I forget that I can vary the colour from realistic as much as I do the paint application!
thanks for your experienced imput..
Lisa, thank you :o I think I'm just realising that all along, in my painting experience(including paint by numbers), I have been using the wrong tool!
I don't actually enjoy using a brush with acrylics, and I've only just realised..imagine if I'd never tried a knife.!! funny, I always used to be fascinated at watching plasterers..and now I know why, the knife I prefer is actually the same shaped one they use too!
It feels so free and natural to use a knife..I get too fiddly with a brush..though it will have some limited uses in finishing touches..
I am saying a lot lately to everyone, try EVERYTHING, else how will you know what your best medium/surface/tools are??
Stay tuned, I will post the improvements in a little while..thanks for your time and imput..
Gill

Marty C
06-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi Gill,
Anyone who is really comfortable with a knife always worries me a little! :D :D
I hope you look better in your guide outfit than I do!

gnu
06-02-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi Gill,
Anyone who is really comfortable with a knife always worries me a little! :D :D
I hope you look better in your guide outfit than I do!
Marty your'e a scream!! :D:D:DIt's the ex nurse in me coming out!!! ;)
Er, my outfit is full of holes..I don't feel very adequate at all now, as I've so little time to be here and PC worries as well (of course. :rolleyes: can never have ONE thing go qrong!!)
At least I'll be able to answer art-agent questions and article and project ones..at least that makes me feel a little more useful :D
looking forward to a night when I can spend a little more time here..
painting time tonight..mid week is so much more relaxed...

gnu
06-02-2004, 04:14 AM
How's this looking? excuse the easel bit and the glare...
now the rocks look solid, I hope..the sky not as barren..nice playing with the fat round knife!!
the light from the ref is also coming from the right..shadow of the cliff to the left...
now..do I need to put anymore of that complimentary colouring elsewhere to balance it?..albeit blued down..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/7242-IMG_6088_Muriwai_sm.jpg

LisaArt
06-02-2004, 05:21 AM
Hey Gill, This is really Fantastic! :clap: I like what you have done to the rocks and the sky. Sign it! ;)

gnu
06-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Gee Lisa..thanks :)
now, just to decide what the next scene will be..so much to choose from..took HUNDREDS of photos on our road trip, this is just one...

gnu
06-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Have made some changes and it's a better photo because the light was better...
am considering adding purple to the deep island shadow on the water, and lightening the cloud, esp to the right..
otherwise nearly there..
comments?
Please?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/7242-IMG_6121murawai_nearly_done_sm.jpg

Marty C
06-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Hi Gill,
Each addition has improved the work, the shadow has really brought the island into sharp relief and increased the focus on it. Any improvement in the shadow will enhance this even further.
I would wash the clouds out, really lighten the values on all of them. At the moment they serve as a distraction, drawing the eyes up to the dark masses. With a small sky area it's better to have it as a backdrop only, not as a feature, so you want very vague or suggested clouds to keep the eye in the foreground and midground area where all the action is.

TeAnne
06-07-2004, 05:37 AM
So this is what you were talking about.........WOW it looks awesome. Went to your website too, I love that Thermal L/scape. :clap:

gnu
06-20-2004, 12:41 AM
thanks Te..I like that thermal one too!!
Here's the latest update..?? nearly finished..I'm considering adding a slight blue glaze to the wave surf to send it back a little..what does everyone think?
and perhaps that brown area on the bottom of both outcrops is a little flat..may add tones to it..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2004/7242-IMG_6127_Murawai_Gannet_final_sm.jpg
PS it's sharper than this..low light tonight..

VeldaJ
06-27-2004, 06:28 PM
This is looking really good, Gill. It's been wonderful watching it progress through the various stages. I wouldn't know where to start painting with a knife but you're obviously more than comfortable with it.

diane555
06-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Gnu

This is such a vibrant piece! Good job on it and I love the addition of the warmer tones you've added to the rocky areas. Beautiful pallette. Thanks for posting the progress pics :) I really enjoy seeing how others work.

Di

gnu
06-29-2004, 05:48 AM
Hi Velda and Diane....thanks for popping in to look.. :)
I can't believe I was half happy with the first couple of stages! I'ts so cool to have the advice and objectivity here...it helps Soooo much, I like this so much better now..
Glad you like the palette,Diane, and yup it''s really interesting how differently people work..

Drumbeat-trish
07-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Hiya Gill -now I know u are gonna kill me for saying this but I loved the first version of this best of all . Having stood on that spot so many times I thought you had captured that hot summer haze soooooo well and the (even though the cliffs are coloured) feel of light and white :) Your latest update is coming back to that -especially with the colony and the sea ( perfect). IMHO I would lose the billowing cloud shapes , takes away from the rock and sea and and the summer haze - but thats just my opinion.
Fabulous pic - that knife sure suits you
*hugs*
Trish

gnu
07-04-2004, 02:36 AM
hey thanks Trish,yes I have decided to sand those clouds back and put the plain sky back, but I'll have to wait till I hear about the comp I entered it in..someone may want it like that..I can do another..
Love your feed back..tahnks so much..