PDA

View Full Version : Aspen with "tooth!" WDE 5/29/04

Yokovich
05-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi fellow WDErs..I never know what the hell I am doing--I keep trying all sorts of different media--I think I am having an identity crisis---anyway, this week I thought I would give pastels another shot--so I (smartly) also tried a specialized pastel paper!! wowser!! For any of you who have tried pastels but didn't quite like it--go out and get some "sanded" paper!!! was this fun or what!!????!!! the colors stuck to the paper easily and this attempt turned out much better than any of my prior attempts (when my paper was smooth).
I know all you pastel people are just laughing at me -----lol. well, live and learn. The paper is called "wallis" this is 5 x 10 (cut down from 8 x 10), rembrandt soft pastels
thanks stoney--great images :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2004/33531-aspenwde.jpg

irish artist
05-29-2004, 09:44 PM
So far four of us were drawn to the glorious color of these aspen trees, including yours truly! You're the only one who put them in pastel. The wide range of skills, the mediums used...what a surprise! I'm really enjoying this WDE. Congradulations on the achievement of the pastel aspens :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm passing on the "Vote of four clappies" :)

sundiver
05-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Wow, this is beautiful! :clap: :clap:
I tried my first Wallis paper recently and agree it is wonderful. Kitty Wallis, the inventor of the paper, is a WC member- check her out in the Pastels forum- and she'll send you a small sample if you pm her!

cmwynn
05-29-2004, 10:43 PM
This is such a bright tree that is has caught the eye of several people. Yours is different with the texture you get with the pastels. That is so much fun, seeing different interpretations of the same photo.
Connie

Yokovich
05-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Wow, this is beautiful! :clap: :clap:
I tried my first Wallis paper recently and agree it is wonderful. Kitty Wallis, the inventor of the paper, is a WC member- check her out in the Pastels forum- and she'll send you a small sample if you pm her!
sundiver thanks for the tip! I will do this! :)

Dyin
05-29-2004, 11:11 PM
lol....everyone over in the Pastel forum has a love affair going with this paper...glad you could get your teeth into this one :p Really, it came out lovely! :clap: :clap: :clap:

xreader
05-30-2004, 12:14 AM
A very nice interpretation. :clap: :clap: :clap: Aren't op's fun?

Deano
05-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Powerful pastel, Celestia. Quite a good discovery, eh, that Wallis sanded paper? I wasn't aware of it's benefits either, not being a pastelist. Your painting looks great...that's the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothin' but the tooth. :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
05-30-2004, 01:06 AM
OMG, this is incredible !! :clap: :clap: :clap: I absolutely love the misty background ! The red accents in the aspens are invigorating, and I admire your judicious use of complements.
And another of Deano's great puns !! Lordie, I love these WDE's !! :D

Chiers
05-30-2004, 01:11 AM
I knew this one would be popular! Your version is great. Funny how they are all so different.

artbyjune
05-30-2004, 02:51 AM
Gorgeous. The dark green trees really set off the yellow ones. I love the misty background too. :clap:
june

gr8pets
05-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Great job, and isn't that Wallis fantastic stuff!!! I enjoy it each time I work with it.

This one is really nice. Looking forward to seeing more on Wallis!

Christi

katju
05-30-2004, 09:19 AM
It's beautiful, Celestia. :clap: I really like all the blending and contrast between the yellow and neutrals. I think when we get the right supplies, the painting process is much easier because they're helping us instead of frustrating us. ;)

Kathy

stonewhiteclown
05-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Very painterly! :clap: Good for you to try that sanded paper!

Yokovich
05-30-2004, 12:37 PM
A very nice interpretation. :clap: :clap: :clap: Aren't op's fun?
must correct you --they were soft pastels not oil pastels--I tried oil pastels a couple times ago and they are back in the drawer! lol

zardoz
05-30-2004, 12:59 PM
must correct you --they were soft pastels not oil pastels--I tried oil pastels a couple times ago and they are back in the drawer! lol

gave op's a second try a few weeks ago using "good " paper and was truly pleased at how well they performed and mine had been in the drawer for years
you've done so well with this image in pastels you might want to give op's another look

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2004, 01:05 PM
For pastels there are some great 'wc' effects in this!!!!!!
Lovely painting - so now you'll be sticking with Wallis and pastels eh?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
05-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Lovely and soft in pastels - you really have those trees glowing !!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

stoney
05-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Hi fellow WDErs..I never know what the hell I am doing--I keep trying all sorts of different media--I think I am having an identity crisis---anyway, this week I thought I would give pastels another shot--so I (smartly) also tried a specialized pastel paper!! wowser!! For any of you who have tried pastels but didn't quite like it--go out and get some "sanded" paper!!! was this fun or what!!????!!! the colors stuck to the paper easily and this attempt turned out much better than any of my prior attempts (when my paper was smooth).
I know all you pastel people are just laughing at me -----lol. well, live and learn. The paper is called "wallis" this is 5 x 10 (cut down from 8 x 10), rembrandt soft pastels
thanks stoney--great images :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2004/33531-aspenwde.jpg

Heheh....I'm 'working in the dark' myself, in this brave new world. And you're very welcome. :)

YYcat
05-31-2004, 08:45 AM
I love those yellow aspen trees. :D

Sharrm
05-31-2004, 09:31 AM
This is Beautiful Celestia, love how you did the trees, colors just glow. Lovely painting. :clap: :clap: :clap: Hard to resist that photo, I tried it too, just about to post it. Sharron