PDA

View Full Version : wde may29 A Safe Place

Drumbeat-trish
05-29-2004, 07:02 PM
I was quite pleased with this but not at all pleased with the photo of it -grrrrrrrr. I also wished I had had a longer canvas to work with. Anyway this was about 3 hours worth -sorry alot of detail lost and there is alot more variation in tones in the greens and the foreground -grrrrrrrrr sometimes I hate cameras and monitors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oil on canvas 14" x 18"

Got to rush off and do the laundry then back to look at everyones work and tackle the next one that I managed a whole 15 mins on yesterday :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2004/6194-safeplace2.jpg

irish artist
05-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi Trish, You worked so hard on this.....Sounds like a battle. You've got reds, greens all Christmas colors and the white tree. Good use of color and detail in the background trees...I know those are not easy to paint. :)

FriendCarol
05-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Sorry your image doesn't do your work justice; perhaps you'll get a better one after you finish it? The work looks good, though, even relying on this representation! I like your trees (both types), and that loose wood pulp.

Europa
05-29-2004, 07:45 PM
:clap: :clap: you did a good job Trish despite the problems with the ref.

Pat

Deano
05-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Yep, sometimes getting a good image to post is sometimes harder than doing the painting itself. :rolleyes: But you've done a great job on that old tree...and everything else. :clap:

Dyin
05-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Is that you sitting in there??? Can I come contemplate too? :D Love how the red bouces off the green in this! :clap:

stoney
05-29-2004, 08:58 PM
I was quite pleased with this but not at all pleased with the photo of it -grrrrrrrr. I also wished I had had a longer canvas to work with. Anyway this was about 3 hours worth -sorry alot of detail lost and there is alot more variation in tones in the greens and the foreground -grrrrrrrrr sometimes I hate cameras and monitors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oil on canvas 14" x 18"

Got to rush off and do the laundry then back to look at everyones work and tackle the next one that I managed a whole 15 mins on yesterday :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2004/6194-safeplace2.jpg

It would be a safe place, but I wouldn't be too sure about how sturdy the backrest was...... :)

Yokovich
05-29-2004, 09:21 PM
wayyyyy cool trish!! like a fantasy/reality thing--quite lovely to look at!! :clap: :clap:

sundiver
05-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Yes, very cool and fantasylike. And at least you got it uploaded, whether you like the photo or not. I tried all afternoon without success. :(

Celia
05-29-2004, 10:36 PM
I love the spin you put on the tree....... it makes a whole story out of an image.......... well done........

celia

cmwynn
05-29-2004, 10:49 PM
I particularly like the swirl of the tree, with just enough room for a hiding place.
Connie

xreader
05-30-2004, 12:57 AM
I agree that it is hard to work with a difficult ref...and it looks better in RL, it must be supurb! :clap: Thank you for sharing. :)

dabblerdot
05-30-2004, 01:20 AM
I too can feel the 'fantasy' quality here- maybe it's the way the foreground trees with their crispness set off the mysterious atmosphere in the tall reaches of the background trees ! I have to admit I didn't see a figure in the original photo, perhaps this is a fairy person - what a wonderful addition ! :clap:

Chiers
05-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Good job! I know what you mean about the way the posted paintings turn out sometimes. I hate it when that happens. Except of course on the rare occasion they come out looking better than they really do. hee hee.

Drumbeat-trish
05-30-2004, 02:43 AM
thanks all again for the lovely replies - I love the way everyone finds positive things to say in here :) dabbler-dot -no I didn't see a person in the ref photo either , but it just looked like a nice place to be - and its in a way a thought to alot of friends of mine who from whatever age on have needed to find a safe place to be- to think, to hide , to escape , to just be. I do need to re-touch in alot of places in this but need to wait for it to dry first . Cheers all :)

artbyjune
05-30-2004, 03:08 AM
This is lovely Trish. I like the fir trees in the background very much and also the tiny fairy hiding in the foreground hollow tree.

;)

June

Leslie_Ann
05-30-2004, 04:01 AM
Very Tranquil. The trees give the impression of protection. I like that alot. :clap:

lorna12
05-30-2004, 05:46 AM
When I read that you had picked 2 or 3 of the photos, I just knew this would be one of them! And I couldn't wait to see what you would do with it.

I love your sanctuary and the thought behind it. I hope you'll post it when it's done....so far it's great!

stoney
05-30-2004, 10:06 AM
I too can feel the 'fantasy' quality here- maybe it's the way the foreground trees with their crispness set off the mysterious atmosphere in the tall reaches of the background trees ! I have to admit I didn't see a figure in the original photo, perhaps this is a fairy person - what a wonderful addition ! :clap:

There was no figure in the photo, it is a nice addition. :)

If anyone wants to do a plein aire on some of these, I can take people to the spots... :) Of course, I can't generate snow to order.....(eyes twinkle)

stonewhiteclown
05-30-2004, 10:54 AM
I love your conception, Trish! You've turned relatively common thing into something magical! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
I like white of the hiding place, and I can tell those pines are TALL.

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Nice work Trish - lovely textures. :)

Sharrm
06-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Trish my friend, you did it again*****Love what you did with the subject. A perfect sanctuary indeed, and you just nailed that tree so well. Every painting has a story. :clap: **Excellent** :clap: :D Sharron