PDA

View Full Version : WDE 29 May - Embankment subsides and collapses!

Andrew Rance
05-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Presented with such a vast choice of subjects, couldn't decide which to do so decided on something close to home. Wanted to get an impressionistic effect, but something has gone drastically wrong! Oh well..... Digital, Corel Painter Classic (palette knife).

Charlie's Mum
05-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Doomsday - The End of the World - London succumbs!!
It's very expressive Andrew - don't know what the ref was because I've not time to do any yet - so haven't looked!
But, I like this 'painting'! :D

cmwynn
05-29-2004, 06:23 PM
It does have that day-after-the-bomb look, but maybe you can say that is what you planned.
Connie

irish artist
05-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Good try, can't win them all can we? This has a "Turner look" and could work out well for you if you wanted to continue.

Europa
05-29-2004, 07:20 PM
I really like this - it has a surreal effect about it.

Pat

katju
05-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I think the colors and "paint" strokes make it feel calm and dreamy......

Kathy

Deano
05-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I really like the colors you have here. To me it has a surreal dramatic undertone.

Dyin
05-29-2004, 08:28 PM
What went wrong??? I think it is WAY cool! :cool: Sends shivers up my spine and the splash of color just tickles my eyes :D

Yokovich
05-29-2004, 10:03 PM
very satin-y----and surreal. I am liking it alot! :clap:

sundiver
05-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Definitely very spooky and cool and end-of-the-worldish (I've been trying to spell apocolyptic..still doesn't look right :p ).

xreader
05-30-2004, 01:47 AM
Interesting painting...very dreamlike. :clap: I admire your ability in digital. :)

Drumbeat-trish
05-30-2004, 02:55 AM
I think it is absolutely gorgeous -my only nit-pic that its digital (don't hit me ) your talent is incredible andrew - wonderful atmosphere in this -so wonderfully british :clap: :clap: :clap:

Leslie_Ann
05-30-2004, 04:06 AM
Andrew, this really is beautiful. :clap:

lorna12
05-30-2004, 05:24 AM
I think it is absolutely gorgeous -my only nit-pic that its digital (don't hit me ) your talent is incredible andrew - wonderful atmosphere in this -so wonderfully british :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree...I love your oils paintings and have been missing seeing them. But this is very dreamy looking...what do you think is wrong with it? I really like it....a lot!!

Jet
05-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Andrew,
What a nice surprise !
you really are closing the gap...
....i believe one of the best features is that IT IS DIGITAL, as Andrew , already known as an excellent traditional artist, went on and DARED to go out of the box, got into the digital world and after failing on endless occasions he finally pulled it through and final saw success face to face...
We at Digital Forum saw the struggle he went through, always trying harder, many times went the easy way just for kicks, and now that he is back from his journey, wanted to show his real 'mates' what he found out there, and for what ?.......

Andrew you are an example for us, we admire you very much,... you came over and made us think the best of the traditional ways and taught us -silently- to respect traditional arts, i just hope you touch some hearts and open plenty of minds, that you teach to respect other trends, and art fashions as you have proved to yourself that Digital Painting is not easy, nor shameful , but au contraire... it's like painting in a magical world.....

Anyone who wants to look down at you for doing digital, better comes with a better piece done digitally , today or 1 year from today.
Art is art and the one who created it, is you..the Artist !!..

I was hoping you could be an Ambassador that would bring both worlds together, but sadly understand this won't be possible any time soon.:(

I hope you get the respect you deserve;

.....for us ....You're The Man !! :clap:

Gd day
respectful regards to all

zardoz
05-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Andrew,
What a nice surprise !
you really are closing the gap...
....i believe one of the best features is that IT IS DIGITAL, as Andrew , already known as an excellent traditional artist, went on and DARED to go out of the box, got into the digital world and after failing on endless occasions he finally pulled it through and final saw success face to face...
We at Digital Forum saw the struggle he went through, always trying harder, many times went the easy way just for kicks, and now that he is back from his journey, wanted to show his real 'mates' what he found out there, and for what ?.......

Andrew you are an example for us, we admire you very much,... you came over and made us think the best of the traditional ways and taught us -silently- to respect traditional arts, i just hope you touch some hearts and open plenty of minds, that you teach to respect other trends, and art fashions as you have proved to yourself that Digital Painting is not easy, nor shameful , but au contraire... it's like painting in a magical world.....

Anyone who wants to look down at you for doing digital, better comes with a better piece done digitally , today or 1 year from today.
Art is art and the one who created it, is you..the Artist !!..

I was hoping you could be an Ambassador that would bring both worlds together, but sadly understand this won't be possible any time soon.:(

I hope you get the respect you deserve;

.....for us ....You're The Man !! :clap:

Gd day
respectful regards to all

some one has touched a sore spot

I do not know what all goes into a digital painting .have never tried one . don't know that i will any time soon
I like this image you have created though and I agree with the person who said it has a Turner-esque quality to it
I would be interested in knowing what you consider" went wrong"
you said you were going for an impressionist look .seems like you achieved it??

dabblerdot
05-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Too bad Jet Liera hasn't seen all the other posts in this forum, week after week, admiring our members foray's into digi painting- :rolleyes: I find there's a great acceptance here for all forms of visual art !! :cool:
Seems to me that this digi painting brings together several types of painting, from classic influence, to varied technique, to reference photo adaptation, to dig interpretation- a pretty hefty accomplishment altogether ! I love the focal point colours, and the way the drifting smoke circles the eye back to the main subject area. It feels very 'painterly' to me. :clap: :clap: Very nice work indeed !!

Andrew Rance
05-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey, Jorge - don't think I deserve the accolades! This was an experiment for me - first digital landscape. But think I'll stick to traditional oils for anything like this in future. Like you say, you have to think 'out of the box' once in a while, and the WDE's give a good incentive to do this (otherwise I would probably never have tried). Buit I have a better idea now of what subjects are better suited to digital art. The people on WetCanvas generally have a higher level of intelligence, and artistic experience, and I greatly respect your views.

adamjw
05-30-2004, 10:56 PM
I didn't think "end of the world," at all when I saw this.
I really like the bright sail of the ship it really attracts the eye.
I guess everyone can get something different out of a piece of artwork.
To me it kind of looks like a piece about environmental concern for pollution.
(the smoky effect it has and the stacks in the background)

stoney
05-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Presented with such a vast choice of subjects, couldn't decide which to do so decided on something close to home. Wanted to get an impressionistic effect, but something has gone drastically wrong! Oh well..... Digital, Corel Painter Classic (palette knife).

I can see the damage control parties in a frenzy... Nicely done. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

artbyjune
05-31-2004, 12:57 AM
I love the glow on the ship. Maybe it does all feel rather like London after the great fire and rather reminds of Turner's works.

I have correl art dabbler and a hyper pen and one of those drawing tablets...now I need to spend time investigating the digital painting world. It certainly looks worth it!! I have tried not a one so far!!

June

Jet
05-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey, Jorge - don't think I deserve the accolades! This was an experiment for me - first digital landscape. But think I'll stick to traditional oils for anything like this in future. Like you say, you have to think 'out of the box' once in a while, and the WDE's give a good incentive to do this (otherwise I would probably never have tried). Buit I have a better idea now of what subjects are better suited to digital art. The people on WetCanvas generally have a higher level of intelligence, and artistic experience, and I greatly respect your views.

Thanks Andrew..

With all respect, i don't think it's a matter of intelligence, or artistic experience..(which i apparently lack of)

...It's about culture and education...which The people on WetCanvas generally have a higher level too.

Regards

stonewhiteclown
05-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi Andrew! I like your painting, I think it has Victorian feel to it. Don't know too what is you unhappy about. Myself when saw it for a moment thought the ship is on fire... because of warm colour of the sail. Beautiful :clap:

Have read Jet Liera's eulogy... and you have my respect even though I have not seen your works yet! That man cannot be off course I feel...

June... I too have aiptek tablet :), nothing to compare with though. Definitely have to visit digi forum...

Andrew Rance
05-31-2004, 09:17 PM
The reference picture contains some symbolic material of things I hold dear to my heart - London's Thames riverside - Capt Cook's ship, in which he travelled the world and, on the right, the old Bankside Power Station (now the Tate Modern art gallery). It was also one of the first scenes I photographed with my first camera way back in the early 70's. Nowadays it was the setting for my first meetings with my current lady friend. Now THAT's spooky!!

lorna12
06-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Andrew, I have the greatest respect for all art, digital or otherwise. That something so lovely can painted using a computer boggles my mind, even if Jet thinks otherwise.