PDA

View Full Version : WDEMay29 Piper Can't March Yet

dabblerdot
05-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Had to try tartan for the first time. When I considered this poor fellow had been holding those pipes (yes, well pretend they're pipes ! :) ) since 1976 I had to release him to some token highlands. Your quest is to figure out how he got there with no legs :D If I work on this more, I'll give him some 'stems.'
2 hrs, w/c on arches 11x15. The original was pretty colourful, alas a lot got lost in my photography and I don't yet know why. Ummm, I guess flash photography doesn't put the light source in a good place for an outdoors scene ! All these things that are only obvious at 2hrs 1min. :D :D

Charlie's Mum
05-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Well I think he's great - hope you've left enough room on the paper (poor chap)! :evil:
"Legless in Glencoe" should be the title!!!!!! (Haven't yet seen the ref pics so maybe this isn't Glencoe - just know the pipers are often there!).
I'll be back later in the week! :D

katju
05-29-2004, 05:38 PM
He's looking good...even without legs. So he's a paraplegic piper. Try saying that 3 times fast. :D

Kathy

cmwynn
05-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Very ambitious picture and you have done it justice. I'm sure that all pipers look better than they sound.
Connie

stonewhiteclown
05-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Woohoo! His face looks like photo! Great details on the pipes! :clap:
Hey, Lauren, let me help you with legs! He probably has two :D

Europa
05-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Well considering I am a big fan of the leg challenged (especially horses) i have to say I like this as it is......well done.

Pat

Deano
05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Brings to mind the age old question:" what do they wear under there?" Well in the case of your piper....nuttin, honey! Great detail, especially on the face, pipes, and hand. :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
05-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for looking and commenting, you guys !
Charlie's Mum- I love your suggested title. How about Glenleggless Glenross ?
Katju- I tried saying it fast three times, now I have spittle all over the monitor. :(
Connie- thankyou for your kind words, and beleive me when I say some of them sound wonderful, especially in the hills !
swclown- two legs, huh ? That sounds too difficult, maybe I'll just extend his kilt to ankle length :D
Pat- now you have me intrigued- leg-challenged horses? I need to know more !
Deano- Thankyou, and I (blush :o ) know what they (don't) wear under there ! :evil: :D

Dyin
05-29-2004, 08:58 PM
He really looks happy to be out there!!! This one caught my eye too, but promised myself I'd do a landscape. Hope you'll finish it, he probably wants to do a bit of stretching after all that time! :D

Yokovich
05-29-2004, 09:23 PM
dabb you have to be proud of this!!! what a good resemblance and a trumped up background that really works!! very very well done!! please post the final!! :clap:

Europa
05-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Dabb all you need to do is read this thread and all will become clear.....LOL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185840

Pat

sundiver
05-29-2004, 10:16 PM
....maybe he has a spring, like Tigger......

And don't worry about the light, it's always overcast in Scotland anyway, isn't it? And he's a bonnie wee laddie, well done!

xreader
05-30-2004, 01:29 AM
IMHO, you have achieved an amzing degree of detail ...and in watercolor! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chiers
05-30-2004, 01:35 AM
Bravo!! great job on this guy, even if he doesn't have a leg to stand on. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
05-30-2004, 11:59 AM
You folks are so kind !
Dyin, Celestia, and xreader- thanks for your support, I decided not to take this further since I can't do paper extensions and so would never have room for brogues.
Europa- thanks for that delightful thread, it was my turn to guffaw and have hot chocolate come out my nose- that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time ! Lovely painting, by the way !!
Sundiver- ddjr and I had lovely weather when we were in Scotland- beat the odds. But they had a lot of trouble getting enuf good weather to make hay for the livestock.
Chiers- love your pun !

zardoz
05-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Thankyou, and I (blush :o ) know what they (don't) wear under there ! :evil: :D

well if you know are you gonna share?

like what you've done here and the way you've added a background

Drumbeat-trish
05-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Oh Danny BOy -the pipes the pipes are calling you........... I just love this guy's face and putting him back in the country was a great idea - had to laugh at the thought of him in an ankle length kilt :D I was thinking -what if you just gave him a little 'o leg and painted in some water - so it looks like he's wading??????? ;)

Drumbeat-trish
05-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Or give the poor fella a wheelchair? :)

artbyjune
05-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Handsome heeland laddie!! (with no heels...sorry couldn't resist!!).
You've done a great job on the guy's face and the tartan. I should know...Scottish born and bred!!

Andrew Rance
05-30-2004, 07:44 PM
You've got the face well done, and, as for what he may be wearing under his kilt, I can assure you that a true Scotsman wears what nature intended!

ams
05-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Very nice, even if we don't consider the 2 hr limit. The tartan plaid came out just right.

Anne

stoney
05-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Had to try tartan for the first time. When I considered this poor fellow had been holding those pipes (yes, well pretend they're pipes ! :) ) since 1976 I had to release him to some token highlands. Your quest is to figure out how he got there with no legs :D If I work on this more, I'll give him some 'stems.'
2 hrs, w/c on arches 11x15. The original was pretty colourful, alas a lot got lost in my photography and I don't yet know why. Ummm, I guess flash photography doesn't put the light source in a good place for an outdoors scene ! All these things that are only obvious at 2hrs 1min. :D :D

Hehehehehehehhe.....nice touch on things!

stoney
05-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Well I think he's great - hope you've left enough room on the paper (poor chap)! :evil:
"Legless in Glencoe" should be the title!!!!!! (Haven't yet seen the ref pics so maybe this isn't Glencoe - just know the pipers are often there!).
I'll be back later in the week! :D

Maedieval banquet at Cambusnation Priory-somewhere within an hour/hour and a half/two hour charter bus ride from Dunoon/Sandbank. Probably the hour and a half.

stoney
05-31-2004, 12:28 AM
He's looking good...even without legs. So he's a paraplegic piper. Try saying that 3 times fast. :D

Kathy

/innocent look
Yea, know why pipers travel in circles, yes? (when tuning up)

Tis harder ta hit a moving target!

(A piper told me that one.)

stoney
05-31-2004, 12:29 AM
Very ambitious picture and you have done it justice. I'm sure that all pipers look better than they sound.
Connie

Sum pet the cat better than others..........

Seriously, the piper for 'Seven Nations' is the Eric Clapton of the instrument.

stoney
05-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Woohoo! His face looks like photo! Great details on the pipes! :clap:
Hey, Lauren, let me help you with legs! He probably has two :D

Plus a short one........ :evil: :evil: :evil:

/cue the 'blue ribbon' joke.

YYcat
05-31-2004, 09:27 AM
I find it so detailed in w-c, it's wonderful :D