PDA

View Full Version : Now here's a weird question

whipdanceur
05-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to do my own version of a "Velvet Elvis." The subject is a gorgeous chestnut Arabian stallion that will be rendered on black Somerset Velvet paper or black velour paper.

OK, here's the weird question. Does anyone know of a brand of pastels that have an iridescent, metallic sheen to them? I want this portrait to shimmer and glow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Whipdanceur

Dark_Shades
05-29-2004, 03:41 AM
I know someone here used them, but sorry cant think who or what :p
..... but I did a search and these came up

http://www.dickblick.com/zz200/88/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=5942

ArtsiePhartsie
05-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi...senellier has some metalic colours, I have a silver and gold and metallic blue.

Hope this helps

~Artsie

Khadres
05-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to do my own version of a "Velvet Elvis." The subject is a gorgeous chestnut Arabian stallion that will be rendered on black Somerset Velvet paper or black velour paper.

OK, here's the weird question. Does anyone know of a brand of pastels that have an iridescent, metallic sheen to them? I want this portrait to shimmer and glow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Whipdanceur

Actually, I have the set! You can buy them individually, too. Sennelier has what they call "pearlescent" sticks. Yummy metallics and pearly colors...I think there are something like 20+ in the line. You might like to look them up on Blick's...they may even sell the small set of them. There's gold, silvery, coppery, bronzish, mother of pearl, etc. Even reds, blues and greens. As much as I dislike the labels on Senneliers softies, these are nice to have.

Just checked...they don't come in a set at Blicks, but here's the link...they're at the bottom of the color list.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz200/36/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=4274

ExpressiveAngie
05-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Great American Artworks has a set too. I have them.

http://www.dakotapastels.com/soft_greatamerican.shtml#

They are called Pearlescent and come in a set of 18.

Paula Ford
05-29-2004, 12:57 PM
I've been meaning to ask about them myself. Are they really soft? Do they go on bright? Are they beautiful when incorporated into a painting?

Paula

Khadres
05-29-2004, 02:06 PM
I've been meaning to ask about them myself. Are they really soft? Do they go on bright? Are they beautiful when incorporated into a painting?

Paula

I haven't had occassion to use mine yet. I imagine there would be some places where they could be useful, tho. The Senneliers seem soft enough and I'm pretty sure the GAs would be, too.

ExpressiveAngie
05-29-2004, 02:10 PM

Paula
The GA Artworks Pearlescent are a bit scratchy not as soft as regular Artworks - kinda like regular Senneliers. :p

ExpressiveAngie
05-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Hiya Sooz -- we crossposted each other ;)

Laura Shelley
05-29-2004, 02:25 PM
I've just ordered some Diane Townsend metallics from Dakota. She also makes iridescents and pearlescents. The glittery pigments are powdered mica, bronze and aluminum. You can also get Pearl-Ex pigments in jars--they come in a large number of colors.

Deborah Secor
05-29-2004, 02:58 PM
I have one stick of deep gold metallic pastel from Great American and it's every bit as soft as the rest of the line...but a mouse got into my drawer over last winter and ATE it. (Poor thing...it didn't work out for him, you know.)

One other suggestion, depending on what kind of shimmer or shine you want, Whipdanceur. I use some powdered watersoluble paints made by Schmincke, called Trocol, that are outrageously beautiful beneath pastels. I paint my hummingbirds over it. If you want to have a patch of what looks like gold foil, try this stuff. (It's a bit hard to paint over, as it fills up some of the tooth, but not impossible to do.) If you're interested PM me and Ill give you details.

Deborah

Khadres
05-29-2004, 03:37 PM
I have one stick of deep gold metallic pastel from Great American and it's every bit as soft as the rest of the line...but a mouse got into my drawer over last winter and ATE it. (Poor thing...it didn't work out for him, you know.)

One other suggestion, depending on what kind of shimmer or shine you want, Whipdanceur. I use some powdered watersoluble paints made by Schmincke, called Trocol, that are outrageously beautiful beneath pastels. I paint my hummingbirds over it. If you want to have a patch of what looks like gold foil, try this stuff. (It's a bit hard to paint over, as it fills up some of the tooth, but not impossible to do.) If you're interested PM me and Ill give you details.

Deborah

THAT'S what's been happening to my pastels when I leave some of them laid out in the open! Those are little MOUSE nibbles, of course! Darned things....they move in every fall for the winter and in spite of traps, etc. there's always at least one who will NOT move out in the spring! Grrrrrrrrr
Like a VERY unwanted guest.

PaulaCT
05-29-2004, 03:47 PM
I use some powdered watersoluble paints made by Schmincke, called Trocol, that are outrageously beautiful beneath pastels. I paint my hummingbirds over it. If you want to have a patch of what looks like gold foil, try this stuff. (It's a bit hard to paint over, as it fills up some of the tooth, but not impossible to do.) If you're interested PM me and Ill give you details.

Deborah,

Can you post one of your hummingbird paintings, along with a closeup of the gold-foil effect? (Yes, this is another shameless ploy to see more of your work.)

:p

PaulaCT

Deborah Secor
05-29-2004, 04:13 PM
I would happily do that except I don't have any photos...sorry! Next time...

Deborah

whipdanceur
05-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll check out both the Sennelier and Great American pastels.

Now, here's Weird Question, Part Deux. As stated, I plan to do my "Velvet Arab" on black paper that has a soft surface but I want the black to be very rich looking, like velvet fabric. Would you apply black pastel over the entire surface or maybe a very dark blue or purple and then the black?

Also, for those who have used iridescent/metallic pastels, do they layer well over other pastels?

Thanks again!

Whipdanceur

ExpressiveAngie
05-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Yes they layer just as well as any..
The sky was done with the GA Artworks Pearlesceant in this one...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2004/29518-Cnv0177.jpg

Bad photo, lol, but the RL had everyone in my family wanting it.