View Full Version : Asking a dumb question

05-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
If a tripych is three paintings, although separate, form a complete composition. What would be five paintings done in the same style - that is, five paintings that although are individual compositions, when placed side-by-side, form a single, but larger composition.
Anyway, just thought I would ask - so I can correctly identify what my assignment is meant to be.
Sorry to be a pain in the a#@! :D

05-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi Stacey, this isn't the best place to ask this but then again I'm not sure which forum would be ;)

Since a diptych is a two-panel painting and a triptych is three panels, you just need to find the appropriate prefix. I don't actually know if there is one already in the art lexicon, so why not quintych? Since we already use quin for five babies it's not completely unknown and I've used quadtych myself, clumsy as it sounds, for four panels.

And just in case you ever need them, hextych, heptych, octych, nontych and decatych would be for six to ten panels respectively.


05-29-2004, 10:33 PM
thank you einion.
I did some research on the net (guess I should have done that first -huh :rolleyes: , anyway, apparently any more than three panels is called a polyptych (meaning many :rolleyes: ).
But I prefer your suggestion - sounds more "technical" :D
Thanks again