PDA

View Full Version : Wde May 28- Montypes Disaster

zardoz
05-28-2004, 09:29 PM
well maybe not a complete disaster , I think I can save at least two of them .if I can I will repost
I was trying to do this with a primary pallete red,blue and yellow
the first was actually turning out pretty nice until I got the bright idea of adding water to pick up a little more paint
the second and third are ghost images the second Iwas still in a bit of a hurry I had dampend my paper but didn't allow it to dry enough but I think I can make something of it with a little ink
the third I had just about removed all the paint from the plate but its the one I like the most and will try to make something of later
water soluble oils on strathmore w/c paper
9x12 I'll let you guess which image just under an hr timewise .takes me longer to post them than to paint them seems like
really pressed for time but i hope I get the chance to do a few more of these great pics
thanks Stoney

katju
05-29-2004, 01:46 PM
I think you're right about being to make something out of these, Johnny. The 2nd and 3rd ones have good skeletons of shape and great texture. I'm thinking that some w/c washes over them would look really great. You could even approach it with the idea of it being abstract and pick out interesting shapes and values. You've definitely got something more to build on. Go for it!!!

Kathy

lorna12
05-29-2004, 02:23 PM
I like the boldness of the first one myself but I can definitley see potential in the other 2. Well done!

Have you done many monotypes? This is something that has interested me since I saw watercolorbill's works. I want to give them a try one of these WDEs.

sundiver
05-29-2004, 03:51 PM
They do have good texture and abstract quality. Some pen-and-ink would go well on them I think...............

zardoz
05-29-2004, 04:19 PM
I like the boldness of the first one myself but I can definitley see potential in the other 2. Well done!

Have you done many monotypes? This is something that has interested me since I saw watercolorbill's works. I want to give them a try one of these WDEs.

I've been doing them for a couple of years (and some actually work :D )
all of mine are pressed by hand and they are loads of fun I'v used oil, speedball inks and tried one with acrylics
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166975
if i did this right it should be a link to one of the first threads and monotypes I posted in wc actually two prints

Charlie's Mum
05-29-2004, 05:20 PM
I haven't even seen the ref pics yet so I'm not even guessing!!!!!! :)
I do like the abstract shapes and textures - I agree with Wendy, I also would use these as a starting point for further work with pen and ink.
Nice colours! :D

cmwynn
05-29-2004, 06:21 PM
I'v tried one monoprint with watercolor and it was more of a disaster than these. Yours certainly have potential as a base for a drawing.
Connie

irish artist
05-29-2004, 06:34 PM
I agreed with Connie, monotypes are challenging and you are BRAVE to post these. With monotypes you have to be open-minded and take what comes, look at it and find the images and develope them. Everyone here is saying that they are worth working on-me too.

dabblerdot
05-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Good on ya for painting monotypes! :) These have turned out so very interestingly and I can see where a few sweeps of another medium can further augment these already very pretty paintings ! If we're voting, I like #2 the best, but can see many virtues in the others as well ! :clap: :clap:

Deano
05-29-2004, 08:38 PM
I especially like #2 because there's a lot of very nice texture and color on either side of the tree. I'm seriously thinking of trying some monotype also.

Dyin
05-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I like #2 too...way cool pattern on that one. Am sure you'll do something great with it in the end!

Yokovich
05-29-2004, 09:19 PM
hey zar I would be pleased to have any of these on my walls!! I love abstract and these have a wonderful sense of "nature" AND abstraction---very courageous. nice stuff actually :)

artbyjune
05-30-2004, 02:32 AM
I like monotypes too. Gives the imagination scope to see things in the abstract shapes.

Hope you post updates...when you go over the work with more paint and/or drawing!!
June

Drumbeat-trish
05-30-2004, 03:13 AM
They all look great -I like the first best :) and ummmm being an ignoramus -how exactly do you do a monotype??????? then again maybe I don't want to know cause I might want to try and having enough trouble coping with anything right now lol.
Wonderful textures happening here that I see

zardoz
05-30-2004, 06:27 AM
They all look great -I like the first best :) and ummmm being an ignoramus -how exactly do you do a monotype??????? then again maybe I don't want to know cause I might want to try and having enough trouble coping with anything right now lol.
Wonderful textures happening here that I see

although you can get as involved as you want including using a printing press and various exotic plates I prefer simplicity(read cheap)use a non porous plate metal, glass ,'plexi glass I've even used a transparent sheet from a notebook paint a picture lay paper over the painting and press (use the heel of your palm or a wooden spoon to rub the back of the paper)remember that your image will be reverse of what you painted
I normally make a sketch and lay a transparent piece of plexi over the sketch and paint from that image but sometimes just paint freehand like this one
you can use various paints and inks but each have different charachteristics
the most important thing is to print before your paint/ink dries too much to pull a decent print
its easy and fun and quick and although you can have a general idea you can never know exactly what you will get . its like opening b-day gifts ,always a suprise

wow , as much as I hate to type you'd think I'd have stopped long ago sorry for being so wordy

stoney
05-31-2004, 05:14 PM
well maybe not a complete disaster , I think I can save at least two of them .if I can I will repost
I was trying to do this with a primary pallete red,blue and yellow
the first was actually turning out pretty nice until I got the bright idea of adding water to pick up a little more paint
the second and third are ghost images the second Iwas still in a bit of a hurry I had dampend my paper but didn't allow it to dry enough but I think I can make something of it with a little ink
the third I had just about removed all the paint from the plate but its the one I like the most and will try to make something of later
water soluble oils on strathmore w/c paper
9x12 I'll let you guess which image just under an hr timewise .takes me longer to post them than to paint them seems like
really pressed for time but i hope I get the chance to do a few more of these great pics
thanks Stoney

You're more than welcome. People had a lot of fun, as it is intended and should be. :)