PDA

View Full Version : Pink Sun Goddess Festival

mame
05-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Pink Sun Goddess Festival
Oil/Collage on Paper
32”W x 48”L
5/2004

I don't do "exterior" compositions very often. I like the tree area cropped. Think I'll do some landscapes.......

As usual, slide is too dark (darks shoot poorly) and the lights are not that "white" re hands.

Smileawhyl
05-28-2004, 09:50 PM
As has become to be expected, yet always awaited

an opulent thought festival

in fat butter gold

balanced by the logic

of a thread carried egg

amazing

blkros
05-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Eggs-cellent!
I love the sun and the trees, and the rickety table (or is the tableau?).
I wish we could see your colors better. :(

it'sALLart
05-31-2004, 10:17 AM
what a story you tell.

is that gold metallic? if not, well....

the dangling egg is puzzling me

very compelling. would make a great book cover.

ever thought about submitting to publishers?

mame
05-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Txs for looking and talking.

itsAll - sometimes use 24K gold leaf but not in this case. It's amber shellac. Just not ready to let it go but I'm workin on it :rolleyes:

I had a friend who worked for "Books On Tape" and at her prodding, did investigate the process for book cover image submissions. As I recall, I think I got caught up by copyright ownership rights. Think you sign over rights to them. Wasn't ready to go there at the time. Wouldn't hurt to revisit that avenue though. Txs.

AmyH
05-31-2004, 11:32 AM
don't you get paid well though? or get royalties at all? you should, the cover is often what attracks me to a book.

anyhow...beautiful piece. this in the show?

net tends to obliterate stuff, your colors are richer in person, not as contrasty and glo in a different way, they are deeper, the layering doesn't come off here well at all.

I have lots of luck shooting with my digi outside. my beef with that is I can't seem to get the focus super sharp like a 4x6 transparency does. but its good enough.

cagathoc
05-31-2004, 11:59 AM
the inclusion of the landscape gives it a different feel than your interiors

an exciting change

love the little one's hair on the left and the wonderful shapes of the trees

really a pleasure to view!

heh
05-31-2004, 12:23 PM
one of my most favorites ever i think
just the right trees and just the right sun
just the right distance and space
the ‘wall pattern’ behind the trees is good for the eyes

i’m getting strange thoughts of rooster girls that want to roam the farm
leaving someone else to sit on the egg

the left table almost looks like its attached to a wall that isn’t there
and, to me, more exciting than the thought of people outside
is the thought of the inside appearing like the outside
if that makes sense

do you ever use real buttons in your paint?

it'sALLart
05-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Txs for looking and talking.

itsAll - sometimes use 24K gold leaf but not in this case. It's amber shellac. Just not ready to let it go but I'm workin on it :rolleyes:

I had a friend who worked for "Books On Tape" and at her prodding, did investigate the process for book cover image submissions. As I recall, I think I got caught up by copyright ownership rights. Think you sign over rights to them. Wasn't ready to go there at the time. Wouldn't hurt to revisit that avenue though. Txs.

re: publishers.... when i've worked for them, since it's pretty specific to their needs, i usually just figure "let it go" and let them have the rights. i figure it's not fine art at that point, it's commercial illustration. and there's a nice big price tag that makes the check just ease into my account very nicely ...

and name recognition isn't a bad thing. ever.

blumoon
05-31-2004, 09:46 PM
This is a gorgeous painting. What a treat to see. I like the amber shellac. Why are you trying to let go of it?

arourapope
06-01-2004, 10:18 PM
aaaaaaaaah

mame
06-01-2004, 11:24 PM
This is a gorgeous painting. What a treat to see. I like the amber shellac. Why are you trying to let go of it?

Oh....you know, just trying to move on/grow/stretch, find a new mystery/technique/process......something, you know?

Drumbeat-trish
06-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Mame -darlin sweet -I know you are gonna kill me for this -but the first thing that came to my mind was the 2 smaller peeps and they just had to be Chang and rikki-tikki-tembo-noserembo-chari-bari-richi-piperipembo (sp)
Love it.
(rushes out of uncharted and misunderstood waters again ) :)

ZOTMA
06-03-2004, 08:39 PM
they stand celestially grounded
daughter sun, mother moon, son star falling
they stare from inside out personification of cosmicity
as the universe contracts back
into
an
egg

smiling at the monitor
a mamescape
what a complete treat for the day

Sundrop
06-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Superb piece......................

somerset
06-04-2004, 01:01 AM
aaaaaaaaah
and ooooooooooh!
:)

morendo
06-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Simply adorable. Your detailed costumes are very appealing, even mirthful. I am a mame fan.

I have a question, Please don't think me rude. In looking at your piece I noticed the upper background (sky) and lower background ( floor) feel too close to the same hue for me. Was this done purposefully to draw the sky and the floor together? I was thinking it could enhance the depth of the piece if one was more darker than the other. What are your thoughts?

And amber shellac? Wow. Do you use that as a finish? That really entices me. Do you wait a certain period for the oil to dry before using it? It sounds soo fun.

Thanks always for sharing you with us.

mame
06-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Simply adorable. Your detailed costumes are very appealing, even mirthful. I am a mame fan.

I have a question, Please don't think me rude. In looking at your piece I noticed the upper background (sky) and lower background ( floor) feel too close to the same hue for me. Was this done purposefully to draw the sky and the floor together? I was thinking it could enhance the depth of the piece if one was more darker than the other. What are your thoughts?

And amber shellac? Wow. Do you use that as a finish? That really entices me. Do you wait a certain period for the oil to dry before using it? It sounds soo fun.

Thanks always for sharing you with us.

Not rude at all! Coincidentally, a good artist friend who often gives me hard core critiques made the same observation.

A good catch I think. Although I can defend the LACK of depth in its contribution to overall cohesiveness/congruity of this one, doing as you suggest may have achieved a pushing back, a distancing of the background which might have achieved some compositional interest?

Txs for your interest. I'll take your suggestion into the next one.

I use the shellac to "isolate" layers so I can continue working more quickly. It can be applied when the paint is still tacky (usually next day and applying it with a light hand) and when it dries - in a few minutes - you are set to go again. I understand and have read that it does not interfere with the drying of the oils and is an "archival" practice.

Then I put a final layer as a varnish. I sometimes then wax the work with a bees wax product to achieve a more velvety finish with less glare.

jnet11
06-07-2004, 11:03 PM
you are sparing with the blues, eh?

I enjoy seeing your characters outside
it's good for the humours

the placement of the figures along with the shape of the trees rhyme so nicely with the egg shape, I think perhaps you have the 'golden' oval of compositions

mame
06-07-2004, 11:06 PM
hey, sweetie. You doin okay?

Yeah.......got any wisdom/teachings/instruction?

geminidream
06-08-2004, 04:11 AM
I love the characters faces, the expressions you have , I also love the texture of all,and the clothing is wonderful!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Marvelous beautiful painting :D geminidream

jnet11
06-08-2004, 10:06 PM
hey, sweetie. You doin okay?

Yeah.......got any wisdom/teachings/instruction?

rofl, yes, eat ice cream with your tongue

I'm okay ... lots of long stories, but painting and writing and loving, so can't complain. Got a show coming up, and a new job, and a new fish, Guinevere.

;)

muchfoolishness
06-08-2004, 10:25 PM
with your tongue ??? unorthodox but i can see how that might work

me i like the flattened tones of the outside werld; it fits with the simple shapes of the trees: decorative aspects for the real drama
it is an extension of the cohesive world inhabited by mame's creatures
says "this world is archetypal psychological emotional: use your heart muscle"
its another wonderful painting

i use shellack all the time to cheat the drying process but then im never going to be held up as an example of good technical painting

jnet11
06-08-2004, 11:17 PM
o, i've got another

never fight a land war in asia

muchfoolishness
06-08-2004, 11:28 PM
and never eat anything bigger than your head

debbi_carr
07-09-2004, 06:51 PM
mame this is awesome. it transports me.

Pilan
07-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Mame, Amazing, just AMAZING! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

just all PRAISES!!!

Robina
07-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Your painting is beautiful. I love the overall warmness of the painting. The simple tree shape forms in the distance are super. Patterns in the clothing are wonderful too! :clap:

mame
07-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Remember when this forum had maybe one or two posts/paintings a week?
Things really move at a clip now and I don't always remember to scroll down the page...
Didn't realize this had some activity.
Txs for commenting/looking in.