PDA

View Full Version : painting #4

RottenScoundrel
05-28-2004, 09:18 PM
This is my fourth painting. I painted this from a photo I found on the net one day, but I could not find it again to give the photographer credit here. Again the scan sucks, in four peices (gotta get a camera). Beach never turned out good, should be lighter and I can't seem to get texture in large plains. One peice of driftwood looks funny too...I couldn't seem to achieve the effect I was looking for. I really find vegetation like the grass hard also, but it turned out better than I expected to give me the impression of a large field between the beach and buildings. It is a lighthouse in the USA somewhere, would be nice to know where. Critics please (thats how we all learn, afterall). Thanks.

Bioartist
05-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I really like this painting. The only thing is I would remove the driftwood that is meant to go into the reeds - it looks as if it has lifted the reeds like carpet. Otherwise a very stunning piece.
Keep up the excellent work :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
05-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Your 4th painting :eek:
Fabulous :clap:
Scan does suck, lol, get a digital camera as soon as your budget allows, you wont be able to figure how you lived without it!

HRH Goldie
05-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Hi Angie,
I don't know why you are giving yourself grief over this - it's really cool.
You mentioned yourself about the piece of driftwood and I presume it is the piece that is in the centre middle ground. I would be inclined to lose it completely. Also if you want texture in the sand try thin small pieces of tissue adhered to the canvas and painted over with acrylic.
I'm busy with a piece that employs this technique at the moment and it makes such a difference.
You could try adding a small amount of real sand to the paint too, this gives a really subtle texture and will have people wondering how you got the effect.
Anyhow I like it and try not to be so hard on yourself (yeah like I can talk). :clap:
Christine

RottenScoundrel
05-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes, you all pegged the peice of driftwood I meant. Perhaps I could loose it, maybe paint a rock or an old washed up lobster pot there because I don't think I have the skill to go back and blend that area back in. Goldie, these are new techniques that I never heard of before, sound interesting. In the photo, you can see all the pebbles and sand on the beach and the small shadows they cast, but I don't think I can attain that detail. I tried to paint some of the depressions there, but they looked like they were laid on top of the painting. Thanks for the tips. I am pretty pleased with the top half of the painting, even though the keepers house is geometrically too high.

RottenScoundrel
05-30-2004, 02:52 PM
OK, I replaced that funny peice of driftwood with another log, and it looks better now (actually my new log looks better than the others). I had considered replacing it with an old lobster pot or part of an old boat, but decided there should be at least one beach without garbage on it. I don't think I will fix a lot more for fear of ruining it, but mostly want your advice for working on new peices. Thanks. :)