PDA

View Full Version : MAY 28th WDE Images here!

stoney
05-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Buckle your seat belts, we're going to be doing a bit of time travelling and covering a lot of territory.

1) A court of a house in Pompeii (Naples, Italy area) (1978)

2) Magaluf, Majorica owners of Bar Mr. Magoo. (1978)

3) Gulf Coast, Biloxi, Mississippi (1981)

4) Aspen tree in Southern Oregon. (2003)

5) Birds, Klamath Falls, Or. (2003)

stoney
05-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Second group

6) Calico Ghost Town (mining) Barstow, California 1983

7) "Catured" Fenced feline (2000)

8) Clover Creek, S. Oregon (2002)

9) Connecting Shore Power Cables (1978) on a Guided Missile Destroyer.

10) "Druid Holy Grove" Southern Oregon (2002)

stoney
05-28-2004, 07:20 PM
3rd Image Group

These old pictures were shot via an instamatic camera. Newer ones were taken (shot) via a digital camera.

11) Paris, France (1976)

12) Paris, France (1976)

13) "Gnarly" S. Oregon (2003)

14) "Going Quackers" Klamath Falls, Oregon (2003)

15) Animal Safari, Island of Majorica (Meditterrannean) (1978)

stoney
05-28-2004, 07:25 PM
4th group

16) Venice, Italy (1978) Yes, the houses are occupied.

17) Klamath River from Keno, Oregon's road bridge, (2003)

18) Line of warships at sea (1978)

19) London, England. Marble Arch area (1976)

20) London, England. Big Ben (1976)

stoney
05-28-2004, 07:35 PM
5th group

21) HMS Discovery (Peary's ship to the Pole circa 1909) London, England.
Anchored on the Thames River by Big Ben (1976)

22) Loss of structural integrity. S. Oregon (2002)

23) Guided Missile Destroyer in the Meditterrannean Sea pressed into service as a 'tow truck' pulling a disabled nuclear submarine. (1976)

24) Water and rocks near Crater Lake, Or. (2002)

25) Mountain Meadow. S. Oregon (2002)

stoney
05-28-2004, 07:41 PM
6th group

26) Paris, France. Bridge over the Seine River (April 1976).

27) Pompeii, Italy. (1978) The lady must have moved into the area just as I took the picture.

28) Waterfall. Portland Oregon area. (1986)

29 & 30) Rock Quarry in S. Oregon (2002)

stoney
05-28-2004, 07:56 PM
7th group

31) Creek in S. Oregon (2002)

32) Maedieval Banquet in Scotland (1976)

33) Dunoon Scotland-tossing the caber. (1976)
IIRC, the caber weighs 120 pounds, and one end is 6" in diameter and the
other end is 8". I think it's also 20 feet long (about 4 metres). Highland Games were contests in the ability to make war. The point of the caber toss was the judge watches from behind the tosser. A mental line is marked at the point the person releases the caber. It must go end-over-end to qualify. Scoring is how close it ends up at the 'midnight position' established via the line of release. The caber was their moveable bridge and wall scaler.

http://29.1911encyclopedia.org/C/CA/CABER_TOSSING.htm

34) Scotland. Elegant and roomy electrician's berthing. (1976)
This style of locker was called a "coffin locker." The person slept on the
lid which has a thin mattress and a pillow. High class crews quarters it
was.

35) Scotland. (1976) Submarine in dry dock. Basin access to below areas was by "duck walking" underneath the operational submarine to a scuttle. Berthing was underneath the sub. A deck below that was the sections engine room.

stoney
05-28-2004, 08:03 PM
8th group

36) The Holy Loch itself, Dunoon/Sandbank Scotland. (1976) It's on the river Clyde which has sea access.

37) Piper at Maedieval banquet in Scotland. (1976)

38) Part of Edinburgh, Scotland castle. Construction atop an extinct volcano started circa 1350. It remains an army head quarters.

39) Stump. S. Oregon (2002)

40) Sudha Bay, Crete. (1978) We anchored out and never touched land. This was all we saw.

stoney
05-28-2004, 08:15 PM
9th group

41) Sudha Bay, Crete. Chopper approaching an aircraft carrier. (1978)

42) Sudha Bay, Crete land mass. (1978)

43) The Tweeters Three. S. Oregon sparrows (2002)

44) 2 F-4 Phantom jets taking off at the same time. Klamath Falls, Or. (1986)

45) Valencia, Spain March 1978. The displays you see built on a sand foundation on the roadways are made from fireworks. Neighborhoods have competitions and each night the week before the festival one is ignited. The festival night, I understand all the rest were lit off and the city looked like it was in flames. I didn't see that as I needed two hours of sleep too badly before taking generator watch.

Concerning the coffin lockers (that refers to the locker itself, otherwise it's called a 'rack'-thin pad over steel) The distance between the mattress pad and the steel bottom of the rack above (3 deep) was the distance between my elbow and closed fist. Each rack had a small single tube flourescent light for reading.

On the DDG, my arms would be tangled in power cables and my feet would be hitting the back of a circuit breaker panel. Inboard travel was stopped by two steel stancions holding up the racks. Outboard travel was stopped by my rolled up field jacket under the mattress.

stoney
05-28-2004, 08:22 PM
10th group

46) Valencia, Spain 1978. I spotted this lady and called out in Spanish; "Miss, if you please." She stopped and granted me the favour of letting me take her picture. After, I said, in Spanish; "Thank you very much."

47) (second set of two) Valencia, Spain 1978. The impression I got was in the morning half the population was in costume and the rest watched. Then in the afternoon they switched.

48) (third set) Valencia, Spain 1978. Another guy was taking a picture and these girls decided they wanted in, too... :)

Well, I hope you all didn't get too tired from the whirlwind trip.... :)

If someone has a question on something, I'll try to answer it.

JanetteBC
05-28-2004, 09:11 PM
there are some awesome images here Stoney

Helen
05-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Great selection Stoney. It's going to be tough picking one...

Drumbeat-trish
05-28-2004, 10:31 PM
eeeeeeeeek -after 25 wouldn't load for me -will try them again later -but I found 2 with my name on :D :D brilliant stoney -gonna make a start but ummm its nearly chat time - can't wait to see everyones choices

lorna12
05-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Whew!! Am I beat! ;) :D

Great selection here, Stoney. It reminds of that song.. :music: I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere :music: only it's you who's been everywhere!!!

Off to try and decided which one I'm going to do now!

2 questions....we still post our 2 hours worth tomorrow at the usual time or 2 hours from now?

Secondly....is that you with the glasses in these photos? Always nice to have a face to go with a name. :D

stoney
05-28-2004, 11:07 PM

Thank you, kindly. I tried hard.

stoney
05-28-2004, 11:09 PM

Thank you. Sounds like I've covered the gamut of items pretty well.

stoney
05-28-2004, 11:11 PM
eeeeeeeeek -after 25 wouldn't load for me -will try them again later -but I found 2 with my name on :D :D brilliant stoney -gonna make a start but ummm its nearly chat time - can't wait to see everyones choices

Hmmm....strange. Oh good, a couple really struck your fancy. :)

stoney
05-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Whew!! Am I beat! ;) :D

Great selection here, Stoney. It reminds of that song.. :music: I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere :music: only it's you who's been everywhere!!!

Off to try and decided which one I'm going to do now!

2 questions....we still post our 2 hours worth tomorrow at the usual time or 2 hours from now?

Secondly....is that you with the glasses in these photos? Always nice to have a face to go with a name. :D

I've been a few places, yes. Quite the eye-opener and the different cultures and languages/customs are something I value highly.

Post your 2 hours worth when you like. And updates, thereafter, if you so choose. To my mind, it's however is most comfortable to the person. This is play time. :)

Yes, I'm the thin one with glasses. When I went into the USN at 18, I was 5' 10" and 139 lbs. On the Med Cruise I was 6' and 167 lbs. I'm still 6' and 170 lbs. at age 47.

After a freak accident in 1978, in two weeks I dropped to 139 lbs. and pigging out 4 meals per day to try to combat the drop. Up until 2 years ago I still could fit in the original issue dress whites.... :) The dress whites were a 'spray job' at issue.

artbyjune
05-29-2004, 03:01 AM
Unfortunately, I can't get any of the Scottish ones to load...after about photo 36 I think!!

Not to worry...I like a few of the earlier ones. Oh OH OH ...spoke too soon. Now I have ALL the photos on screen!!!!!

I hope I can join in this weekend...such great variety of images and very inspiring....but I may be busy. Fingers crossed, I will make it to the drawing board!!

Thanks for a lovely selection of photos.

June

Ottersong
05-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Wonderful pix Stoney. The one of Calico makes me homesick for my youth. We used to go there when I was a kid rock hunting, all kinds of semi-precious stones in the area. Calico wasnot "re-habilitated then, it was a real ghost town and sort of spookey. Lots of defunct silver mines too, they were the only hsade around out there on the desert, they were lovely and cool. Lots of other pix that look great too. I can see that I am going to use up a lot of KB's storing these. Want to paint a lot of them, thanks a lot.

Marymc

sundiver
05-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Ok, I've completed my entry, had lots of fun, but as luck would have it, neither my scanner nor my digital camera will work. :mad: :crying:
I'm hoping it's just the batteries in the camera and will try again later.
But now I can go look at what you all have done! :)

prestonsega
05-29-2004, 12:34 PM
WC is certainly a dynamic place with all the changes in the forums...I had become conditioned to the WDE happening on a Saturday ...so now I feel as though I've entered a theater in the middle of the movie.....Great selection of pics....I'm envious of your travels.....thank goodness modern technology allows me to travel vicariously through you ......thanks Stoney...there's going to be some great works produced today!

FriendCarol
05-29-2004, 02:13 PM
So long, and thanks for all the pix! (apologies to the late, great, original hitch-hiker) I thought by logging on around 1:30pm I'd still be early; never bothered to translate your time on the invitation. But no matter, now I have a few hours to pick one of these lovely shots (some of which I already saved) and then check the time and paint it.

Btw, this morning one of our residents had a visitor and when I asked the resident if he wanted some (acrylic/oil) brushes someone had given me (a watercolorist), she asked to see my work. As I was showing her some of the work I did over the past 3 months, she asked how much I would charge for a past WDE! She offered me $25 for it, and I was trying to decide if that was a good price, and said I thought I'd worked on it between 4-5 hours total. (It was that St. Catharine's Church picture, which I had thought to abandon until everyone told me to keep going). So then another resident immediately offered me $40, which of course I accepted just as quickly!

Wow, sold my first real painting! Thanks, all you WDE'ers!

Precious Mazie
05-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Stoney

I want to say the pictures are wonderful :clap: and many brought back memories of when my husband was in the navy and we traveled around Europe. However, having dial up connection, it took me almost an hour to get the pictures. I had to keep refreshing the page because a lot of them where only boxes with Xs in them. I know it would be a hard choice but I think in the future we should limit the pictures to 25.

Muffin_4377
05-29-2004, 03:24 PM
K I want in on this WDE fun!! But I'm alittle confused. Have I missed out for this week? I have read the information thread, and I still can't figure out the time aspect. arghhh :(

I even chose a reference already.

theIsland
05-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Help! I'm having technical difficulties getting a photo to print. I chose #29, the rock quarry (beautiful photo!), but the print size on this photo is huge - 396 X 416.667 inches. (The width numbers are the same for both image pixels and print inches.) When I try to reduce the print size so it will fit an 8.5" x 11" page, it reduces, but the pixels remain HUGE. About 1" square, so it looks like a quilt, instead of a photo. Is there a simple way to work around this? I'm using Photoshop.

Noma

dcorc
05-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Muffin - most weeks the WDE starts right about now - this week, Stoney's posted his compreghensive image collection earlier, but there's nothing to stop you starting riow or later - do 2 hours, post with what you've got at that point, then have a look to see what else is posted and work further on your's if you want to - but enjoy!

Noma - in photoshop, if you go to the menu "File", and choose "Print Options" you can then click the box where it says "Scale to fit media", and that should do it. :)

Dave

stoney
05-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Unfortunately, I can't get any of the Scottish ones to load...after about photo 36 I think!!

Not to worry...I like a few of the earlier ones. Oh OH OH ...spoke too soon. Now I have ALL the photos on screen!!!!!

I hope I can join in this weekend...such great variety of images and very inspiring....but I may be busy. Fingers crossed, I will make it to the drawing board!!

Thanks for a lovely selection of photos.

June

You're very welcome.... :)

stoney
05-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Wonderful pix Stoney. The one of Calico makes me homesick for my youth. We used to go there when I was a kid rock hunting, all kinds of semi-precious stones in the area. Calico wasnot "re-habilitated then, it was a real ghost town and sort of spookey. Lots of defunct silver mines too, they were the only hsade around out there on the desert, they were lovely and cool. Lots of other pix that look great too. I can see that I am going to use up a lot of KB's storing these. Want to paint a lot of them, thanks a lot.

Marymc

You're quite welcome, Mary. :) I was stationed at George for 3-1/2 years. I'm not sure how many buildings are left. I read there was severe damage after an earthquake several years ago. I'll see what I can do about uploading more shots of Calico to the reference library.

stoney
05-29-2004, 03:52 PM
WC is certainly a dynamic place with all the changes in the forums...I had become conditioned to the WDE happening on a Saturday ...so now I feel as though I've entered a theater in the middle of the movie.....Great selection of pics....I'm envious of your travels.....thank goodness modern technology allows me to travel vicariously through you ......thanks Stoney...there's going to be some great works produced today!

You're more than welcome, Preston. To try to bring the pictures to life is why I tried to provide background. It certainly is a diverse bunch of pictures. :)

stoney
05-29-2004, 03:57 PM
So long, and thanks for all the pix! (apologies to the late, great, original hitch-hiker) I thought by logging on around 1:30pm I'd still be early; never bothered to translate your time on the invitation. But no matter, now I have a few hours to pick one of these lovely shots (some of which I already saved) and then check the time and paint it.

Btw, this morning one of our residents had a visitor and when I asked the resident if he wanted some (acrylic/oil) brushes someone had given me (a watercolorist), she asked to see my work. As I was showing her some of the work I did over the past 3 months, she asked how much I would charge for a past WDE! She offered me $25 for it, and I was trying to decide if that was a good price, and said I thought I'd worked on it between 4-5 hours total. (It was that St. Catharine's Church picture, which I had thought to abandon until everyone told me to keep going). So then another resident immediately offered me $40, which of course I accepted just as quickly!

Wow, sold my first real painting! Thanks, all you WDE'ers!

You're quite welcome, and hearty congrads on the sale! :)

/aside
I do hope Mr. Adams was buried with his towel.
/aside

stoney
05-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Stoney

I want to say the pictures are wonderful :clap: and many brought back memories of when my husband was in the navy and we traveled around Europe. However, having dial up connection, it took me almost an hour to get the pictures. I had to keep refreshing the page because a lot of them where only boxes with Xs in them. I know it would be a hard choice but I think in the future we should limit the pictures to 25.

That's reasonable. Difficulty on retrieval via dial-up based on storms didn't occur to me. And I'm glad the pics triggered lots of memories for you. :)

theIsland
05-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Noma - in photoshop, if you go to the menu "File", and choose "Print Options" you can then click the box where it says "Scale to fit media", and that should do it. :)

Thanks, Dave. :) That did give me an image with normal pixel size, and reduced somewhat, but for some strange reason, it's still not shrinking all the way. But, I discovered I could print it from my web browser. So I tweaked the image in Photoshop, brought it up in the browser, and printed from there. Yay!

Be back tonight or tomorrow with a painting. Thank you for the great photos, Stoney! It looks like you've lived a very interesting life.

Noma

stoney
05-29-2004, 04:11 PM
K I want in on this WDE fun!! But I'm alittle confused. Have I missed out for this week? I have read the information thread, and I still can't figure out the time aspect. arghhh :(

I even chose a reference already.

Welcome, aboard, Muffin! :) You're in! Select the pic(s) you like and have fun with it. It's asked that you post what you've got after two hours of painting time on one of them. If it isn't done, that's ok. You can then, if you choose, continue to work on it until it is finished before uploading the finished item. The WDE's are playtime.

stoney
05-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Dave. :) That did give me an image with normal pixel size, and reduced somewhat, but for some strange reason, it's still not shrinking all the way. But, I discovered I could print it from my web browser. So I tweaked the image in Photoshop, brought it up in the browser, and printed from there. Yay!

Be back tonight or tomorrow with a painting. Thank you for the great photos, Stoney! It looks like you've lived a very interesting life.

Noma

You're welcome, Noma. :) My Navy time was from when I was 18-22.

Muffin_4377
05-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Thx for the feed back ..... I got my reference printed out and my 3 yr old is down for a nap.....yipppppeeeeeeeee .........here I go.......... :D

Dania

blondiedenise
05-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the pics! :clap: This is my first WDE. I just downloaded several pics...not quite sure which one to do yet. :rolleyes: I can't do mine until later tonight or tomorrow afternoon...I have a date with hubby tonight(gonna see Shrek 2!) and we had a graduation this morning. In between is housework and dinner(ho hum).

If I can figure out how to upload from my camcorder(it's digital), I'll post a pic after I work my 2 hours. If I can't, it's still gonna be fun and good practice. I've decided to use a medium I haven't used in years and see how it goes. Since I'm just getting back into creating art after an almost 20 year hiatus, almost every medium falls into that catagory ;)

Can't wait to see everyone's results!

Denise :D

stoney
05-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Thx for the feed back ..... I got my reference printed out and my 3 yr old is down for a nap.....yipppppeeeeeeeee .........here I go.......... :D

Dania

Welcome... :)

/me breaks out the pom poms and, in a full dress kilt, leads a rousing cheer!

stoney
05-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the pics! :clap: This is my first WDE. I just downloaded several pics...not quite sure which one to do yet. :rolleyes: I can't do mine until later tonight or tomorrow afternoon...I have a date with hubby tonight(gonna see Shrek 2!) and we had a graduation this morning. In between is housework and dinner(ho hum).

If I can figure out how to upload from my camcorder(it's digital), I'll post a pic after I work my 2 hours. If I can't, it's still gonna be fun and good practice. I've decided to use a medium I haven't used in years and see how it goes. Since I'm just getting back into creating art after an almost 20 year hiatus, almost every medium falls into that catagory ;)

Can't wait to see everyone's results!

Denise :D

You're quite welcome... :)

MKathleen
05-30-2004, 11:22 PM
:D Hi stoney, you hold the WDE image record CONGRATULATIONS :clap: :D
Wonderful images all and everyone certainly has enjoyed working from your images. Sorry I couldn't join you all this time, but I have certainly enjoyed viewing all the terrific paintings created. :clap:
Thank you stoney for being our WDE Host this weekend.

stoney
05-30-2004, 11:31 PM

Thank you.. :)

stoney
05-30-2004, 11:33 PM

Thank you. :)

/cue old advert and modify
"You can't pick just one."

stoney
05-30-2004, 11:39 PM
:D Hi stoney, you hold the WDE image record CONGRATULATIONS :clap: :D
Wonderful images all and everyone certainly has enjoyed working from your images. Sorry I couldn't join you all this time, but I have certainly enjoyed viewing all the terrific paintings created. :clap:
Thank you stoney for being our WDE Host this weekend.

Image record? (blink blink)

/steps up to the mic.
"Thank you. I didn't do it alone. I'd like to thank..." :evil:

Y'all are more than welcome. I'm glad everyone had several choices and found the rest interesting. :)

purplelizard
06-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Gee whiz, I missed a good WDE this past weekend! (oh yea, all WDE's are GOOD!) These images are GORGEOUS! too many caught my eye! Think I'll load a few just for grins and do them for me. Too busy with family over the holiday to participate!

Now, I'll go poke around and see what everyone else did!

Good job of the pix, Stoney! I am impressed!
:clap: :clap:

stoney
06-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Gee whiz, I missed a good WDE this past weekend! (oh yea, all WDE's are GOOD!) These images are GORGEOUS! too many caught my eye! Think I'll load a few just for grins and do them for me. Too busy with family over the holiday to participate!

Now, I'll go poke around and see what everyone else did!

Good job of the pix, Stoney! I am impressed!
:clap: :clap:

Sure, grab a few for grins. Perhaps you'll post the results?

(blushing profusely) Awww....shucks. :)

I'll be working more with adding to the reference library.