PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Commission...

JCoop
05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Hello Gang! Just finished my latest portrait. I poured myself into this one. I usually paint 100 miles an hour, but here, I really took my time to the point that I was afraid of overworking every area of the portrait. So I just stopped all of a sudden and signed it! I just adore the painting process, but I find when I get about three quarters of the way done, my attention span seems to waver and I can't wait to move on. :eek:

The lollipop might be a little over the top, but I couldn't resist! :) ...for those who recoiled at the sight of it... please forgive. :rolleyes:

This is a Grandmother with Granddaughter. I call this one "Aint It Grand!"...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/30872-aint_it_grand_norm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/30872-aint_it_grand_close.jpg

The ref...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/30872-aint_it_grand_ref.jpg

Digital _Painter 8

Michael
05-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Looks great Joel,

Lollipop?...LOL...I think it adds to the piece!

Jet
05-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Joel , it looks great..
..you just filled the gap with the lollipop.
-I feel the swatch is off a little, you can shift the colors to match the rest of the picture's pastel hues.

Regards

Cronious
05-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Joel this is just beautiful, I am sure the clients will be over the moon :clap:

JCoop
05-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys! Jet funny you should mention that. I actually had the lollipop matching, but prefered to go counter to the other colors because it had more "pop". I know I took a risk at making it distracting and probably broke a rule, but it just felt better this time. Maybe I'll reconsider if I get a backlash. :D

Chiers
05-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Very good Joel! And I love the lollipop. It adds some punch and the colors of it are perfect in my opinion. I do think however that you should give grandma some of her wrinkles back.

themanda
05-28-2004, 02:49 PM
great job! i love how you used the hints of blue in the background. i agree with sherry...grandma needs some of her natural 'texture' added back in. looks more like a mother/daughter portrait than a grandmother/grandaughter portrat.

that's just a minor thing, tho. this is fantastic!

JCoop
05-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Michael, glad you like the lollipop... I'm tallying the votes.

Crone, thanks for your comment, I think we posted at the same time. I appreciate it!

Sherry & manda, thank you too! I hear what your saying about the wrinkles, but this is one Grandmother who clearly wanted whatever kindness I could bestow upon her. If this were just an art piece for my portfolio, I would have definitely left them in. I've never had a commissioned portrait where I was asked to please put the wrinkles back! :eek: :D Although, I'm sure it happens.

Sometimes I have to scale back a smidgen of artistic integrety to satisfy a paying client. :confused:

flowerfancy58
05-28-2004, 03:56 PM
I agree about the wrinkles, lol.. otherwise it looks more like mother and grand baby:) And I hear you on pleasing the client!

Otherwise it's another Joel master piece.

gloria:)

Elvira
05-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Joel, to my eye this isn't one of your better pieces, I like the lollipop but there is a harshness to the image that bothers me and I can't quit put my finger on it. Perhaps it is the feeling they are carved from stone rather than flesh and blood.
(I always had that problem in life drawing class :D )
Edie

JCoop
05-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi Edie, thanks for your comments! Maybe you're picking up on the fact that this portrait may be overworked. I was slower and more deliberate with this one and maybe I lost the free and easy feeling. I've been staring at it so long, I've lost all perspective. If you put your finger on it, let me know... thanks!

Michael
05-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Two comments here,

First...if anyone doesn't like the lollipop, they never had one...LOL...just teasing;

Second; I believe I know why Eddie thinks that, this is not as "smooth" as most of your other work, so it is a departure of sorts. Just hazzarding a guess here, of course :D

DSPIT
05-28-2004, 07:23 PM
I doubt you will get much backlash Joel. looks very well done. As usual your strokes for skin tones have an unequaled depth. Very rich.

Bob

justjean
05-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Beautiful work Joel, the skin tones are great but to me the colours of the lollipop are to bright , but then I'm one of those that didn't like them LOL

Michael
05-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Beautiful work Joel, the skin tones are great but to me the colours of the lollipop are to bright , but then I'm one of those that didn't like them LOL

:D LOL.... seeeeeeee? ...LOL....too funny :D

JCoop
05-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi Michael, thanks for commenting. I'm usually all over the place with how smooth or rought I make a painting. I always start rough and then at some point I decide to blend more and more until I find what I think works for the piece. I think maybe the color choices in the skin may have contributed to this work looking more "commercial" than usual.

Bob, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Thanks for looking!

Hi Jean, thanks for checking in. Looks like you have proven Michaels point! :D Bob you called it! Thank you Jean.