PDA

View Full Version : digital plein air

sundiver
05-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I lurk here but rarely post; being a rank beginner at digital I don't know what to say other that "Wow!" etc.

I have Painter Classic with my Wacom but still find it pretty perplexing. I haven't figured out how to smudge and blend with it, or how to get those cool impasto effects without a lot of white in the strokes.

So, being a pastelist, I tend to stick with virtual pastel at this stage. This is a plein air done while looking out the window of our cottage sunporch. I could have taken the laptop outside but it looked like it was going to start raining.
Anyway, here it is, and thanks for looking. C&c and advice are always welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2004/6393-plein_air_New_Dominion.jpg
That cloud project looks enticing- must give it a try!

Michael
05-27-2004, 07:50 PM
WOW! etc..,

This is stunning. What a great combination of colors and texture. An amazing job for someone who is wary of posting here :clap:

Oh...and welcome to digi art :D

Jet
05-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Wendy, Welcome to Digital Haven...........

Looks like you're well on your way already, Painter can be a 'paint in the canvass' at the beginning but you'll get the hang of it in no time-

I'd recommend following some tutorial about brushes - start tweaking controls and undesrtand what and why does by changing some setting.

After you know how brushes behave , you'll know half of the program already...
The key lies around the brushes palette, and how a brush relates to , layers , pre-painted surfaces, work between layers and apply brushed-textures, among many other little functions intended for making your work look like a PRO...

Let's wait for some Painter wizards come around-they'll get here after the sun goes down...he he he... :D

Regards

Chiers
05-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi Wendy. Good to see you here, welcome! Jet gave you some good advice. Just keep clicking on the brushes and playing with the settings, make some strokes and see what happens. I have two of the painter classic programs. One that has layers, and one (older) that doesn't. The older one is the best.

Great painting. I would never have guessed your new with painter.

One suggestion I will make is when you open a new canvas to paint at a minimum of 150dpi and at a size that you would want to print out. 300 dpi is even better but 150 will print out fine on most home printers.

JCoop
05-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Wendy!!! Nice to have you posting here in the Digital forum. Lets all give Wendy a warm welcome! I know her from the Weekend Drawing Events, and shes an awsome artist and a great person on top of it!

Wendy, for someone who describes themselves as a "rank beginner", your digital painting looks very accomplished. Lovely colors, great composition and a nice artistic touch!

Control + B will get you into the "Brush Creator" in Painter (I'm assuming its the same for your Painter Classic.)
There, you will see an "Impasto" option. Use the "Depth" slider under that option to reduce the impasto effect to 8 or below to get rid of those white marks in your strokes.

Again, nice to see you here. :) Hope you'll stick around and share!

themanda
05-28-2004, 12:45 AM
this is so pretty! first let me say how much i envy you having this view...

i've never been able to master painter, so i'm very, very impressed with your results. i'd love to see you continue to post here, too! you do lovely work!

justjean
05-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Hi and wlcome to the forum :)

what a view you have and what a lovely painting, great work :clap:

sundiver
05-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Thank you so much for your encouragement and great advice. I couldn't wait to start following it...stayed up too late as a result :eek: .
I immediately started playing with the brushes..holey moley there's a lot there. I haven't seen much in the way of tutorials for Painter Classic, so will do lots of experimenting.

Couldn't find any "depth slider" for the impasto brushes, but the "opacity" slider seems to do it too. Thanks! I started on the clouds project and smeared away happily at it. Mind you, it looks like I left out a wet oil painting and the cat rolled in it.......... but that's a start! :D

Chiers, I have the version with layers; not that I've figured out how to use them to my advantage.

You guys rock!
It's nice to see some familiar faces from the WDEs. One great thing about the Drawing Events is that they encompass all media and there's a wide varitey of interpretations. Any of you who haven't tried one yet... check us out! Stoney's hosting this weekend, starting sometime tonight.

Thanks again for the great welcome!