PDA

View Full Version : Need help with avatar

Smokindevil
05-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Hello all!! I usually don't get to this board often but, I find my question may be well suited for it. As you can see by my avatar I need help with scanning and adjusting the image. The original was about a 2" by 3". I reduced it to 60 x 45 pixel at about 75 dpi. However, in doing this I compromised the quality of the pic and now it looks blurry and undetailed.

Is there a thread available about how to scan and make an avatar or does anyone have any techniques to throw my way? I use photoshop 6 and Coreldraw.

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance :D

Jet
05-27-2004, 07:36 PM
SmknDvl, hi welcome to Digital haven..

I do it against the written rules,and i invite you to try it.... like this:
- Don't drop colors
- work as neat as possible and as you approach the end of your drawing, ty reducing it not smaller than 200 pixels by side at 144dpi
-In PS use the 'save for the web' option, and there you change its size ...

You won't loose as much detail as when you try doing it by yourself....
look at the indian at the bottom of this post - it was done by this method..
now look at my actual avatar above and it was done by the 'correct' method we all learned ...my avatar has less quality as it lost lots of detail that way...

Hope it helps..

Regards

Michael
05-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Tell you what...post the larger version and I will reduce it for you :evil:

Jorge is right on the money with what he said, but after browsing your posts, which are amazing BTW, I think that it would be easier for you to just post the larger version...LOL

Cronious
05-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Anther way.

Is your image black and white?

It looks very graphical to me. For an avitar you might think about doing a threshold image (black and white) it would loose all the tones but might work well with this image as an avitar as they are so small.

Then follow jets save for web to get the quality right.

Just an idea.

Threshold is found : Image>adjustments>threshold.

Hope this helps