PDA

View Full Version : WinterNight

RottenScoundrel
05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
This is my 5th painting. The scan sucks and had to be joined as 4 pics, but thats it. This is the least detailed and fastest painting I had done yet, just over the weekend (usually I am 3-4 weeks). Had trouble getting the mountain shadows correct, looks like reflection more than shadow. This is one painting I had tried not to go back and fix stuff because I just screw it up more, but I just had to go at the shadows and moon/haze. Looked way better before. I tried not to clutter it up too much. I normally hate the trees in front 'Bob Ross' style, but the pond looked too big without it. This is the first painting I done from imagination, the rest were from some pic or another. There are lots to improve on but what do you think? Hope it attaches!

Lady Carol
05-27-2004, 05:23 PM
The trees help to add a dimension in the painting and it would have not looked right without them. At least you have not added too many so they are not really intrusive. I think you did well and all from imagination :clap: :clap:
I have no imagination when it comes to painting :confused: so I rely on photos.

Bioartist
05-28-2004, 06:22 AM
I agree that the mountain shadows do look more reflective than "shadow", maybe if you lengthened the shadow a touch. Otherwise I like the play of light and dark.
As this is from your imagination, fantastic job, I can only dream of working from my imagination - images all the way for me - lol.
Stacey

RottenScoundrel
05-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks both. On the shadows, I didn't quite know how to end them, with a sharp edge of dry brushed/rough. I had already lengthened them from what I origionally had. Perhaps if I had put more brush stokes and texture on the pond ice it would have looked better...who knows. The fusterating part is if I were to do the same image again I would not know how to change it. Perhaps I should look for a real picture of similar characteristics to see how the shadows play (I bet that won't be easy to find).

Lady Carol
05-28-2004, 02:46 PM
How you end your shadows depends on how close you are to them. If close then the edge should be sharp. If far away then it should be fuzzy

Marty C
05-28-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi RottenScoundrel,
Great job from imagination only. The area around the hut is particularly good with the warm spill of light from the windows. Well done.

BRIDGES
05-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Make the trees thicker in the front and not uniform, The clouds need a couple thick areas also.top with highlights of white just a tad.... agree the shadows too dark. more snow there,,, love the cabin area, done well... Just need s more paint overall Bridges

RottenScoundrel
06-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Added some more trees to front, but I am afraid to play with the rest. Getting a digital camera and will post new image soon. Looks way better acting on advise of more trees. A number of people had same first impression.

HRH Goldie
06-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Well done, having not long completed my first painting from imagination - I can understand that there is one big lot of painting for what seems like little picture. :clap:
I like the simplicity of the whole thing from the sky down to the log cabin. I think it would be easy to 'fuddle' the painting with too much itty bitty things. Keep it simple is what I would say and again well done.

Christine