PDA

View Full Version : Mr. and Mrs. Wood (new portrait)

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-27-2004, 01:27 AM
I said that I wouldn't post this till I was done but here is a pic. I think I'm maybe... 95% done. Need to darken the faces more and touch up the suit and her sweater some.

Anyway, it's getting there.

Comments, critiques, cmoooooooooooooooon. hehehehhe

Tim

AlpineAirbrush
05-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Looks great Tim ! :cool: ( As usual ) How did you achieve the pinstripes in the suit and the pattern on that tie ??

HF AIRBRUSH
05-27-2004, 03:06 AM
hey tim...great !!...i tryed to find the original pic...but i could not find it anymore.....you did post the pic before i thought...

henk

Penny220
05-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Looks great Tim.

Is the "fade" at the bottom intentional or aren't you finished yet? Because the paint goes from edge to edge on the top and sides I think it would look better if it went to the bottom as well .

Then again, I just sat down with my first cup of coffee so I'm not responsible for making stupid comments yet. :D

pr1130
05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Very nice Tim! I'd be interested in how you did the pinstripes and tie as well.
It's hard to tell from the pic but I see some texture in the sweater as well. Any tips on creating textures with an airbrush?

Peter

Maryl Lehman
05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Tim, you did it again! It looks great! I was also wondering about the lady's sweater----same as Penny---but then maybe you're not done yet......? Anyway, you did a fantastic job on both of them! :clap: :clap:

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks, folks, for the nice comments!!!!

The fade at the bottom is just due to the fact that there is about 2 inches of extra board at the bottom. If you squint, you can see the cutoff line and yes, it will go to the bottom because I will cut it on my matte cutter. I usually waste 2 inches at the bottom just to give me room to play and tape the thing up to my drafting table.

The patterns of the tie were done by first tracing them w/pencil when I projected the photo onto the board. Then I used a combo of airbrush, pencil and erasing to get the designs (which need a tad more darkening). The outline of the tie was masked and in fact it is a tad too sharp for my tastes. I may try to fuzz the outline baaaaarely. It shoudln't be the center of attention, IMO.

Pinstripes were done using a light gray oil pencil. Just drew them on.

The sweater has these splotches that used to be more like little blocks but I just couldn't get the sweater to match the photo. So, I guess I'll wimp out and leave it sort of ambiguous. The top (ridges) need more work to smooth them out.

I'm happy with the man's likeness but his wife looks 30 years too young. I was sort of afraid to try and copy all the wrinkles but now I'm afraid I didn't copy enough. Maybe she won't mind. :D

Most of this was freehand airbrush but I masked the tie, and also the heads when doing the background. I also did some misc freehand masking at hard edges such as the jacket/shirt edge and left cheek/dark jacket of him and her.

pr1130, I am not that knowledgeable about getting the perfect textures but I usually erase in some fashion to get some texture if it's sort of organic but you can spray through various materials and get some good organic (or man-made-made) patterns. I spent too much time erasing the sweater only to cover it again with a subsequent layer of darker gray. :crying:

Sometimes, I think using a transparent color might help me but then it blows my gray tone. Anyway.....

If you notice, the pic leans towards a warm gray and that is the result of using the ComArt Photo gray "colors".

So, when I'm done this weekend, I'll post the finished version and some detail shots.

The original ref pic I posted is here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122838

Thanks everyone!!!

Tim

ADCook
05-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Tim,

The portraits look great! Thanks for sharing it with us. You've got these b/w portraits down to an art form. I can see why you like doing them.

Nice job.

A.D.

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks, AD!

I am really trying to excel at them. I feel like some things are clicking and some have yet to sink into my thick skull. I sometimes freehand when I should really mask and I end up having to try erasing and it just never turns out the same. Oh, it will do but not the same. Hopefully I can spot these things and go "Mask. Definitely a mask." hehehehe

Well, I appreciate all the positive feedback. I'll post the final in a few days and hopefully it will look brilliant! heheheh That dang sweater kicked me in the teeth. I had to "settle" for a different look. Oh well....

Tim

Paul Corfield
05-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Very nice. Now that you have the black and white underpainting you can glaze it over in cyan, magenta and yellow. ;)

Paul.

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Man,

If only I knew how! I'll bet you could make it pop! I haven't got my CMY colors from Medea yet. Probably another week. I wouldn't dream of trying that with this one. I'll try it on a practice piece sometime.

One question: My gut feeling is that spending this much time on B&W only to glaze color would be a) too long and b) not as smooth as doing layers of color to get the colors right. Plus, the tie is so dark... how could I get the vivid color of the ref spraying transparent over that?

Paul, do you do the underpainting in monochrome then glaze over it w/CYM or do you just spray those 3 where you need in the amount you need?

Thanks!!

Tim

Penny220
05-28-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm happy with the man's likeness but his wife looks 30 years too young. I was sort of afraid to try and copy all the wrinkles but now I'm afraid I didn't copy enough. Maybe she won't mind. :D

Actually Tim, the rule when painting women is not to be "too" realistic. It's prefered to reduce texture, wrinkles, a couple of pounds and some grey a bit. It's one of those women things :D Husbands tend to see their wives closer to the way they were when they met so they won't notice, the women will just be flattered.

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-28-2004, 02:31 AM
We'll see how he likes it so far. Get approval before clearing it.

Thanks,
Tim

Paul Corfield
05-28-2004, 03:56 AM
Man,

If only I knew how! I'll bet you could make it pop! I haven't got my CMY colors from Medea yet. Probably another week. I wouldn't dream of trying that with this one. I'll try it on a practice piece sometime.

One question: My gut feeling is that spending this much time on B&W only to glaze color would be a) too long and b) not as smooth as doing layers of color to get the colors right. Plus, the tie is so dark... how could I get the vivid color of the ref spraying transparent over that?

Paul, do you do the underpainting in monochrome then glaze over it w/CYM or do you just spray those 3 where you need in the amount you need?

Thanks!!

Tim

I don't think it would take too long as the glazing should be a fairly quick process. It all depends what you call too long also. I have spent four months on one oil painting before. My airbrush works generally take less than a week so even if I took say a week and a half then it would be acceptible.

I am experimenting at the moment with working a painting up in black and white and then I shall glaze the cmy on separately. It's similar to an oil painter who would do a monotone underpainting (grisaille) and then finish it just by glazing colors over it. The only difference in oils is that you generally use opaque paint for the light areas and glazes for the shadows.
I'm trying to work more like my inkjet printer would work. In Photoshop I have separated the photo out into it's different layers of cmyk. Also in Photoshop when you look at the black layer it's not all that dark as the addition of the other three colors help to darken down the blacks and that's how you get color in the darker areas. Once I have the four layers separated in Photoshop I print them out so that when I spray the cmyk I know exactly where and how much to spray. It's a bit extreme maybe but then photorealism is extreme and very painstaking. I'm searching for ways that will give me the ultimate realism in my work.

On a side note the pin-up artist George Petty airbrushed his cmy separately in thin layers to build up to the final image.

Paul.

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Ah, you cheater! hehehehehe

So THAT'S how you know where and how much CMYK to add. I wonder if I should try that on my Abe Lincoln portrait. Everyone's seen him in B&W but living color would be cool. Since the photo of Abe was taken in the 1860s, I'd be able to make prints of the final painting and sell them I suppose. If it turned out nicely.

Well, I'm going to just finish the Wood's portrait first and then probably finish Abe as just a black and white.

Thanks,
Tim

Penny220
05-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Paul,
Please start a new thread telling HOW you seperate out the colors.

PLEASE,

Thanks,
Penny

pr1130
05-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Yes please do! You would certainly have my attention!

Peter

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-30-2004, 04:22 AM
Here is another pic of this portrait. My camera stinks, their heads are not dark enough and I'm too scared to darken them!

Man, I am not happy with this because I am afraid to darken parts any further. He wants this done by the 5th (actually sooner to get a frame so he can show it off by the 5th) and I thought I'd be done tonight but I don't know. It looks decent in person but this pic just doesn't look right.

Anyway, should I go for broke tomorrow and darken their heads one more notch or sign it and clear it?

Thanks,
Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
05-30-2004, 04:33 AM
sign it and clear it.... ;)

you got the problem that most artists have...you never pleased and keep on changing things.....Tim...belive me when i said that you did a very good job on this and im sure that the customer will be very proud with it....
so sign!....and clear the damn thing..........hahahahah...

henk

prepsage
05-30-2004, 05:40 AM
Yea man. You're not going for film noir here. It looks great.

pr1130
05-30-2004, 09:40 AM
I agree with henk & prepsage Tim. You have done a very good job and the portrait does look quite finished.

you got the problem that most artists have...you never pleased and keep on changing things.....

henk is right on target here! I dont think Ive ever painted a single picture that I figure cant be improved with a bit of tweaking here and there. Even "years" later. In the process, I have also "over tweaked" and ruined many good paintings. hehehe

Peter

Penny220
05-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Perfection in a painting is something that only the artist can see. If you don't say anything, the majority of mistakes go unnoticed even by a trained eye. On the other hand, fixing it might ruin it and do you really have time to do another one? Knowing when to quit is an art in itself.

Clear it, frame it and be proud of it.

Penny

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-30-2004, 04:06 PM
hmmmm

Seems that the jury is in. hehehhehe

Well, it looks slightly better in person than that last pic anyway. I guess I am just so dang picky and having a time limit just crushes my ability to be free with it and push the values one shade darker. Ah well.

Still, though... not bad for my 2nd commissioned portrait!!!!

Wish I could just adjust in PS and print it out and spray glue it to a blank illustration board! hahahahahaha

Nah. Gotta be a real "man" and do it right. hehehehhee

Okay, folks. I guess I'll call it done and get my $ and move forward. Oh yeah, last night I pulled the trigger back too far and almost messed up her eyelid. So, the risk is always there to destroy it. And yet..... NOOOOOOO don't do it Tim!!! Remember the nose! Remember the ear! Remember the side of the eye!!! hehehe man, this actually will be the first where I made no major mistake.

Thanks people for your input! I appreciate it.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Okay, I'm done.

I'm not making any progress but I did tidy up one or two things. Here's a slightly better pic. Still, she doesn't look quite dark enough. Needs more mid tones I think.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/comments. I'll clear it now and move onward!!!!

Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
05-30-2004, 07:07 PM
i don't see the sign yet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

henk

ProfessorGreibowitz
05-31-2004, 01:55 AM
heheheheheeeheehe

You're right! hehehehehehe that let's me keep changing it. hahahaha Actually, it's now signed and has 1 coat of clear. hope to finish clearing tomorrow but depends on weather. Then i'll work more on honest abe.

i pulled some ligament or such in left hand near extendor tendons at wrist area hence no capital letters. just typing with right finger. i can't believe the ways i hurt myself. just pulled my hand down and suddenly ... sharp pain that ain't going away. put ice on it so i hope some abstainance will let it heal up soon.

tim