PDA

View Full Version : Dream of the Muse/oil

arourapope
09-19-2001, 04:37 PM
Finally finished! I think.........LOL! It's a 22x22 oil on board. I'm starting to really enjoy working on a square surface. Anyway, tell me whatcha think!
Aurora
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2001/dreamofthemuse.jpg

And here are a couple of details:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2001/dreamofthemusedetail.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2001/dreamofthemusedetail2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jheinrich
09-19-2001, 04:38 PM
exquisite!

wish for a bit more warm colors at the top- perhaps it is the jpg?

lovely meshing of real and unreal

j*

arourapope
09-19-2001, 04:42 PM
HI Jeanette!
Boy, you're fast! Just got it put up! LOL!
Yeah, I tried to get the jpeg to work a bit better in Photoshop, but couldn't quite get it to. The background behind the trees is a good bit more golden, and the whole thing isn't quite that blue.
:(
Anyway, I guess you get the idea.
Is the anatomy okay? She's out of my head, and it was tough to get her right without a model.
Thanks for looking!
Aurora

alva
09-19-2001, 04:54 PM
Cool and Surreal! Very Nice, no critique, just enjoying...regards, alva

ZOTMA
09-19-2001, 04:59 PM
I'm really diggin this Aurora
it does in fact have a fantastic surreal quality to it. The palette fits, lovely range but subdued.
I wonder about the upper thigh, the right leg. A bit obscure, perhaps that was your intent?
Is that an ankh in her hand?

jerryW
09-19-2001, 05:17 PM
i agree with this:
Originally posted by jheinrich
exquisite!

lovely meshing of real and unreal

ejfarrae
09-19-2001, 05:36 PM
wow aurora, this is powerful. love the merging of the figure with her surroundings (the flowing hair/ground and the thigh/trunk are awesome) great color as usual.

arourapope
09-19-2001, 06:30 PM
Hey Folks!
Zotma~ Thanks for checking her out. Not sure I understand "all full," (I'm a bit slow today, I think ;) ), but I think I can answer the other questions! The upper thigh, in the painting, anyway, isn't so lost in the background. I really wish I could take a better picture of this thing.........It's so much bluer and darker (?) maybe on the screen here. The thigh is actually alot pinker than the limb crossing over her. I'm afraid that's getting lost in this picture, though, and I didn't notice that until you guys mentioned it. What I was *trying* for.....hehehehehe.....was for the tree roots and trunks to merge into a blanket......but not her body parts really. Oh well~:mad:
But yes, that is an ankh in her hand. I'm glad you could make that out. It's a copper ankh that a friend made for me years ago. One of my most beloved thingies.:)
Ejfarrae and Jerry and Alva~ thank-you!
So do you guys think the hand's okay? That's where my biggest question mark lies with this one. Like I said, she only exists in my head. Trying to copy my hand in that position from that perspective was darn near impossible, even with mirror tricks! Yikes! Fun though!:)
I'm really glad to hear that the real and surreal are working together though.......I thought about putting all kinds of funky little things in it, hidden in the shadows; but I thought it might get too.....busy, I guess. It's a complicated enough composition as it is, I think.
Or maybe I just chickened out. It's funny how so much more can fit in your imagination than can fit in a painting, and still work.
This painting has taught me something important, though. I feel like I really need to get my imagination into the groove more.......do more with just my head leading me along, instead of using a model or a still life, or a photo......
What do you guys think of that? Of painting only from your imagination? Do you think it helps us to see better in the long run? Or is it akin to building castles in the clouds? Does something get lost in the translation?
I know, looking at this, that if I had had a model, and a setting, it might have been more realistic. Or more believable. But I'm not sure if that is because I'm not accustomed to painting from my imagination anymore, or if it's because that's just how the imagination looks.
Anyway, there's some thoughts to chew on for me......
Thanks again!
Aurora