PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming May 29 WDE

stoney
05-26-2004, 09:29 PM
This weeks theme is 'international.' I've combed through enough pictures to fill many a photo album. It totals out to more than 50, with some being two pictures on one, and from around the world. Well, the places I've been anyway... :) People's interests are quite the diverse lot, and I think everyone will have multiple choices to contemplate.

Feel free to archive anything which strikes your fancy. My hope is folks find the diverse selection interesting. Many of them are a window back into time.

Take whatever time you need to make your selection(s). The pictures will be uploaded Friday evening 28 May which is -8 GMT so the folks there will be able to view the selections with, perhaps, their morning cuppa.... :)

I will let the "Tweaters Three" entertain you with their morning serenade... :)

sundiver
05-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I didn't know there was a -8 GMT on the NA continent- thought it went to -7! Live and learn (I'm in -3 GMT, on the other edge :D ).
Sooo, I guess that means I'll be there (with bells on) on Saturday morning!
Can't wait!

MKathleen
05-26-2004, 10:56 PM
:clap: Hi stoney, thank you for being our WDE Host this long weekend. :clap:
These time zone things can get confusing so here is a link set to stoney's 8PM GMT. If I have this figured right it should help with determining the start time in your part of the world. Either way you can start Saturday morning anytime just so you work your two hours then post. :D
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2004&month=5&day=28&hour=20&min=0&sec=0
If this isn't right then stoney please correct :D
See you there :D

dabblerdot
05-27-2004, 01:25 AM
Stoney !!! 50 pictures !! With my telephone modem I'll probably still be downloading them by Sun eve ! :D :D The invitation picture is absolutely intriguing, so I don't care how long it takes, I'll be here with my bells on !

katju
05-27-2004, 08:21 AM
I"ll be there, Stoney.

Hey, what kind of "tweeters" are those? We had a robin's nest on a potting bench this spring. I was amazed at how quickly the babies matured. Before we knew it, they hopped out of the nest to make their way in the world.

Kathy

stoney
05-27-2004, 11:22 AM
I didn't know there was a -8 GMT on the NA continent- thought it went to -7! Live and learn (I'm in -3 GMT, on the other edge :D ).
Sooo, I guess that means I'll be there (with bells on) on Saturday morning!
Can't wait!

Yes. All the military Mode 4 coding (identification friend/foe) is done throughout the world at 0000 GMT/UTC/ZULU time. And the computer indicates I'm at -8 GMT, too.... :)

FriendCarol
05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Oho, this is a great invitation! Not that the others weren't great, but -- 50 photos!!! I'm going to try to snag a bunch and save on diskette for those wintry days (now months away) when I feel like I "don't have anything to paint." :)

Thanks for putting together this huge 'photo album' for all of us. The WDE is becoming a very popular event, loads of fun all around the world, so your theme seems most appropriate. I bet this weekend -- with the 'Memorial Day' holiday observed Monday for those of us in 'the States' -- will be no exception. (Btw, since GMT never alters for 'British summer time'/daylight savings time, that's probably why the 8 hour difference, rather than the normal 7, is a surprise. Even in Greenwich itself, it's GMT+1 during the summer... Or do I mean GMT-1? :rolleyes: )

I'll be there Saturday, sans bells, but most definitely fully equipped with slightly rearranged palette, mostly fresh pigments, and all my favorite brushes!

stoney
05-27-2004, 11:54 AM
:clap: Hi stoney, thank you for being our WDE Host this long weekend. :clap:
These time zone things can get confusing so here is a link set to stoney's 8PM GMT. If I have this figured right it should help with determining the start time in your part of the world. Either way you can start Saturday morning anytime just so you work your two hours then post. :D
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2004&month=5&day=28&hour=20&min=0&sec=0
If this isn't right then stoney please correct :D
See you there :D

G'day Kathleen... :)
And y'all are more than welcome.

The time thing isn't complicated. If you're running windows and have the time displayed, simply double left click on it. Then select the time zone tab and it will tell you where you are with regard to GMT. Timewise the baseline is at Greenwich, England. http://www.greenwichmeantime.com

greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm is, as it indicates, a converter.

The pictures will be uploaded during my early evening.

Yokovich
05-27-2004, 12:03 PM
stoney--you sly devil 50 photos yowser!!! I will be here--I think!!!

stoney
05-27-2004, 12:04 PM
I"ll be there, Stoney.

Hey, what kind of "tweeters" are those? We had a robin's nest on a potting bench this spring. I was amazed at how quickly the babies matured. Before we knew it, they hopped out of the nest to make their way in the world.

Kathy

OOoo....I don't recall. I'll try and get an answer for you. Here, we've got all diffferent types, including robins.

stoney
05-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Oho, this is a great invitation! Not that the others weren't great, but -- 50 photos!!! I'm going to try to snag a bunch and save on diskette for those wintry days (now months away) when I feel like I "don't have anything to paint." :)

(chuckling) I understand the 'drooling' potential involved with 50+ photos. I've got a few in the Reference Library, too.

Thanks for putting together this huge 'photo album' for all of us. The WDE is becoming a very popular event, loads of fun all around the world, so your theme seems most appropriate. I bet this weekend -- with the 'Memorial Day' holiday observed Monday for those of us in 'the States' -- will be no exception. (Btw, since GMT never alters for 'British summer time'/daylight savings time, that's probably why the 8 hour difference, rather than the normal 7, is a surprise. Even in Greenwich itself, it's GMT+1 during the summer... Or do I mean GMT-1? :rolleyes: )

You're very welcome. Lots of memories flooded back going through all this stuff. On that Monday, as has been every year, a USN ship will be at San Rafael, France to provide an honour guard for ceremonies at the cemetary. All ship's personnel that day, if they leave the ship will have to be in full dress uniform.

I'll be there Saturday, sans bells, but most definitely fully equipped with slightly rearranged palette, mostly fresh pigments, and all my favorite brushes!

:)

Drumbeat-trish
05-27-2004, 01:26 PM
OK I'm GMT + 12. Clear us mud . Sorry stoney -I am tine-zone challenged. Could you make it really really simple on my brain and tell me how many hours later or earlier or whatever you are uploading. I have become accustomed to the 3.30pm EST time - so an indication like "4 hours later than usual you idiot" would be ever so helpful :D :D

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, I think Stoney's -8GMT will actually be 7 hours behind us in the UK so I think I have to get up about 3a.m. on Sat morning which means about 3p.m for D/B/Trish on Sat. - very civilised! I'll just crawl there sometime when the eyes open!!!!!! See you! Bleary-eyed and all!! :D
50 pics? Oh crumbs!

sundiver
05-27-2004, 05:31 PM
G'day Kathleen... :)

The pictures will be uploaded during my early evening.

So if early evening is, let's say, 7p.m., -8GMT on the west coast of North America, it's around 11 or 12 midnight on the east coast , and maybe 4 or 5 a.m. in the UK, so 4 or 5 p.m. in NZ?

hopefulbucky
05-27-2004, 06:15 PM
BUT ????? I just did what Stoney said as he is my time zone and right this very minute is -8 GMT which puts it at 3:14 P>M> on Thursday 5/27. So I figure he is planning on putting them up on our (west coast) Friday afternoon around 3ish which would put it at 6ish east coast time in the U.S. Is that correct Stoney?

hopefulbucky
05-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Nope I definitely got it wrong Stoney. I looked about 1-1/2 hours later and it still says -08 GMT and it is 4:45 so now don't know at all how to figure it out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:21 PM
I"ll be there, Stoney.

Kathy

My wife thinks they were Sparrows.

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Stoney !!! 50 pictures !! With my telephone modem I'll probably still be downloading them by Sun eve ! :D :D The invitation picture is absolutely intriguing, so I don't care how long it takes, I'll be here with my bells on !

LOL.........nah, they're small files....

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:24 PM
stoney--you sly devil 50 photos yowser!!! I will be here--I think!!!

Moi? /me assembles innocent look #57.... :)

It would have been very easy to have about 300, but that might have been overdoing it.......

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:37 PM
OK I'm GMT + 12. Clear us mud . Sorry stoney -I am tine-zone challenged. Could you make it really really simple on my brain and tell me how many hours later or earlier or whatever you are uploading. I have become accustomed to the 3.30pm EST time - so an indication like "4 hours later than usual you idiot" would be ever so helpful :D :D

Idiot? Naaaahhhhh.....Time zones can be a pain in the tail. :)
It would be +3 hours with regard to EST, as PST is three hours behind EST. However, I'll be uploading the pics early my Friday evening, some 20 hours early. That would be about 2 pm your time on Saturday. It could be a little earlier or a little later, depending on when I can start and the uploads will take a bit of time due to the quantity.

I know...huh????? :))) About 2 pm your time on your Saturday, which is my Friday.....

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Nope I definitely got it wrong Stoney. I looked about 1-1/2 hours later and it still says -08 GMT and it is 4:45 so now don't know at all how to figure it out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL....No worries, that stuff can get confusing very quickly. It will stay -8 GMT until the US mucks around with the clocks again. When it was 4:45 here it was 0045 in England (they are +8 with regard to PST). (24 hour clock is much easier.... 4:45=1645. 0045=12:45 am)

Since I'm at the southern end of your state just figure about
6pm Friday night. :) I had figured to give the folks in UK/Europe/Oz the stuff so they could start on Saturday rather than on Sunday. (Normally it's our Saturday and their Sunday at the same time.....) (monster grin)

I know....it's 'clear as mud.' I've had to deal with it for many years. You get used to it.

katju
05-27-2004, 10:47 PM
(My head is swimming. :rolleyes: ) See you guys some time this weekend.

Kathy

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Well, I think Stoney's -8GMT will actually be 7 hours behind us in the UK so I think I have to get up about 3a.m. on Sat morning which means about 3p.m for D/B/Trish on Sat. - very civilised! I'll just crawl there sometime when the eyes open!!!!!! See you! Bleary-eyed and all!! :D
50 pics? Oh crumbs!

LOL!!!! Well, I had figured you UK folks would wake up (at a civilized Saturday hour) and be 'serenaded' by the "tweeters three" while you get your first cuppa tea.... :)

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:55 PM
So if early evening is, let's say, 7p.m., -8GMT on the west coast of North America, it's around 11 or 12 midnight on the east coast , and maybe 4 or 5 a.m. in the UK, so 4 or 5 p.m. in NZ?

With Oz, I generally figure +15 (and change) with regard from PST to Australian whatever time. IIRC, Oz has three time zones. I'm going to try to upload about 6 pm Friday night PST.

stoney
05-27-2004, 10:58 PM
BUT ????? I just did what Stoney said as he is my time zone and right this very minute is -8 GMT which puts it at 3:14 P>M> on Thursday 5/27. So I figure he is planning on putting them up on our (west coast) Friday afternoon around 3ish which would put it at 6ish east coast time in the U.S. Is that correct Stoney?

I'm looking to upload (west coast time) about 6 PM on Friday. I've got an appointment at 3 pm and don't know how long that will take.

stoney
05-27-2004, 11:01 PM
(My head is swimming. :rolleyes: ) See you guys some time this weekend.

Kathy

LOL.......That's reasonable.

I really didn't intend on making things complicated. I figured the UK/Europe/Oz folks would like to actually have their weekend to work on a WDE instead of just the Sunday.

hopefulbucky
05-28-2004, 12:34 AM
That was really thoughtful of you Stoney, but your time explanation for me is as bad as asking which way is north, south, east or west particularly if the sun isn't out. But once I have been to a place I can find it again with ease with landmarks.

Never did military time although know about it. I don't think the time in Southern Oregon is any different that the time in Northern Oregon LOL :evil:

gr8pets
05-28-2004, 06:53 AM
Oh, I already love the picture selection and you have only posted one! I will be looking for the pics...I really appreciate the extra time we get by posting early. It's hard to chisel out time on the weekends with a toddler, so I may just be able to participate this week!

Christi

stonewhiteclown
05-28-2004, 07:40 AM
I had figured to give the folks in UK/Europe/Oz the stuff so they could start on Saturday rather than on Sunday.
That makes sense, Stoney!

I'm looking to upload (west coast time) about 6 PM on Friday

This is the key! It is possible to check which time in Oregon currently: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/oregon/salem

This is everyone's time when Stoney will supposedly start to upload: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2004&month=5&day=29&hour=1&min=0&sec=0&sort=2
It's actually corrected MKathleen's link (neat stuff, thanks!)

I can't be wrong here, ya know! :D

JanetteBC
05-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks StoneWhite, that'll make it easier for us the timezone challenged :D

Bertoni
05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
GMT, well let's see there's BMT but that's a subway line in NYC. Ha! :D
Seriously stoney...50 images...that's fantastic. Thanks! :clap: I know there'll be some great stuff there!!! :)

theIsland
05-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Fifty images??? Yay! Looking forward to it, Stoney!

Drumbeat-trish
05-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Ok I think I got it -you WOULD have been downloading at 7pm sat EST being sunday arvo here, but now you are uploading at sometime Friday evening which is today saturday in the afternoon and we can work on our pics yesterday to be ready to post today which is tomorrow morning right??? :evil: :p :D I'll be there

katju
05-28-2004, 04:15 PM
LOL, Trish :D Now my head is really swimming and I should stay out of this thread!

K

lorna12
05-28-2004, 05:37 PM
I think I am one hour later than you, Stoney...Mountain daylight savings time?
So if you post at 6pm today it should be 7pm my time....any how I'll start checking then! :D

50 photos! wow, can hardly wait to see what you have in store for us!

Trish....you are one funny lady! :D

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2004, 05:50 PM
LOL!!!! Well, I had figured you UK folks would wake up (at a civilized Saturday hour) and be 'serenaded' by the "tweeters three" while you get your first cuppa tea.... :)

Thank you for being so considerate Stoney!!!! You would choose the one Saturday that I'll be painting the hall walls wouldn't you????!!!! :)
However, as soon as that job's done I'll be joining the little tweeters - happy art-making everyone! :D

zardoz
05-28-2004, 05:54 PM
well I'm with katju my head is goin round like linda blair's in the exorsis( I know I can't spell )

if I got this straight it should be up around 9pm est so hopefully i will get something done sometime this weekend my schedule is jam packed so its an iffy thing but I really wantto see what you have for us

auntchristine
05-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Jeepers. All these years I could have sworn I learned how to tell time in grade school :rolleyes:

All I know is this, it isn't New Year's Eve.

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:26 PM
That was really thoughtful of you Stoney, but your time explanation for me is as bad as asking which way is north, south, east or west particularly if the sun isn't out. But once I have been to a place I can find it again with ease with landmarks.

Never did military time although know about it. I don't think the time in Southern Oregon is any different that the time in Northern Oregon LOL :evil:

Depends....(eviller grin) Portland has "rush hour"....... :)

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Oh, I already love the picture selection and you have only posted one! I will be looking for the pics...I really appreciate the extra time we get by posting early. It's hard to chisel out time on the weekends with a toddler, so I may just be able to participate this week!

Christi

Hmmmm....perhaps it might be an idea to include Friday into the weekend to make it easier for people with young children to participate.

I'm going to start uploading in a few minutes.

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:46 PM
That makes sense, Stoney!

This is the key! It is possible to check which time in Oregon currently: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/oregon/salem

This is everyone's time when Stoney will supposedly start to upload: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2004&month=5&day=29&hour=1&min=0&sec=0&sort=2
It's actually corrected MKathleen's link (neat stuff, thanks!)

I can't be wrong here, ya know! :D

(/cue evil chuckle) I'm going to start uploading two hours early! :)

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:48 PM
GMT, well let's see there's BMT but that's a subway line in NYC. Ha! :D
Seriously stoney...50 images...that's fantastic. Thanks! :clap: I know there'll be some great stuff there!!! :)

I hope so, as everyone's tastes are different.

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Ok I think I got it -you WOULD have been downloading at 7pm sat EST being sunday arvo here, but now you are uploading at sometime Friday evening which is today saturday in the afternoon and we can work on our pics yesterday to be ready to post today which is tomorrow morning right??? :evil: :p :D I'll be there

Psst...I would have been uploading not downloading and I'm going to start two hours early.... :) Otherwise, you're correct, and you can even take lunch breaks!
:evil:

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:51 PM
I think I am one hour later than you, Stoney...Mountain daylight savings time?
So if you post at 6pm today it should be 7pm my time....any how I'll start checking then! :D

50 photos! wow, can hardly wait to see what you have in store for us!

Trish....you are one funny lady! :D

Correct. However, I'm starting the uploading two hours earlier!
muhahahaahhahahahaahahahaaaaaa....

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Thank you for being so considerate Stoney!!!! You would choose the one Saturday that I'll be painting the hall walls wouldn't you????!!!! :)
However, as soon as that job's done I'll be joining the little tweeters - happy art-making everyone! :D

/innocent look

Wow, good sized canvases.....how many WDE's will it take? :evil:

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:53 PM
well I'm with katju my head is goin round like linda blair's in the exorsis( I know I can't spell )

if I got this straight it should be up around 9pm est so hopefully i will get something done sometime this weekend my schedule is jam packed so its an iffy thing but I really wantto see what you have for us

7 pm est since I'm uploading two hours early....

stoney
05-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Jeepers. All these years I could have sworn I learned how to tell time in grade school :rolleyes:

All I know is this, it isn't New Year's Eve.

/vincent price voice and grin
Are you certain of that?
/vincent price

/rod serling of twilight zone winks back at vincent..... :)

Europa
05-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Nowwwwww you see if you had said 7pm EST at the beginning then it would have been easy to work out but am sure we can forgive you as you are male and welllllllllll - we girls know men have to go the long way round to get to things......hehehehehehe. :evil: