PDA

View Full Version : First try at an ocean scene

yogi
05-26-2004, 06:16 PM
I had posted this in the digital art forum around 2001 or 2002, probably. This was my first try at an ocean scene. Unfortunately, it has been my only try. However, I intend to do more, since it is one of my favorite art subjects. I am tickled this forum has been created!

Anyway, the sky is from a photo taken by my hubby of a prairie sunset. Then, I used Adobe Photoshop to paint the ocean and beach. Looking at this now, I feel that the waves are too "regular" in pattern and perhaps too tall. One of the comments in the digital art forum, if I remember correctly, is that I needed to add more sky color into the waves. Any other thoughts? I am new at "serious art" (have mostly done cartooning), but I feel that honest critique is a great way to learn. So, if you are willing, please be honest with comments and critiques. Thank you.

sendin
05-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Hi Yogi,

The sky and the water are foreign to each other in this so the earlier critique about sky color needed in the water, I think, is correct.

You should be willing to do an exhaustive self-critique on this. That will help you more than what I say for your next work.

I would take some time to study plenty of photos that appeal to you that show the behavior of waves and how the light works on them, the foam and the clear water before you start your next peice. I have been greatly helped by studying E. John Robinson books, and studying painters like Carol Thompson and Vernon Kerr.

You might be leaning towards surrealism in seascapes which might give you some more latitude, otherwise the above suggestions, I think, should be helpful to you. I think we need more digital artists in this forum so thanks for posting.

Denny

Marty C
05-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi Yogi,
I'm thrilled to see a digital artist posting here, please post more.
As for critiques I'll largely echo Denny. The biggest problem is the lack of colour harmony with the disparate sea and sky, they could be two separate works. As for the waves, the ocean can do all sorts of crazy things and your shorebreak wave, although unusual, is still believeable.
This is a great start, I'm sure you will be producing fabulous works in no time.

yogi
05-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I looked up the artists you mentioned. They do create awesome paintings from which I'm sure I can learn a lot. I've learned a lot just by studying paintings here in this forum, too. I'm not sure how many digital paintings of ocean scenes or landscapes I'll be doing. In ways, it is frustrating to paint with a mouse....it is just so...um..."virtual." :) Yet, it is sure easy to go back in and change what you don't like. I hear oils are the same way, though. I've never tried oils, since I figure the smells would do me in with my asthma. I've been toying with doing it in watercolor. I'm just learning that medium. Sculpture has been my main frolick in the art world. I do have ideas for several marine-themed sculptures, though. I'll share them when I start working on them.

Thank you again for your comments and critiques. You are right about the reasoning behind the lack of color harmony. Interesting that the ocean can behave this way in real life. I've been told before that my paintings/drawings (acrylic/colored pencil/digital) often have a surreal "flavor." Perhaps I should explore that a little more.

sendin
05-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Hi again Yogi

I recommend oils and you can get water miscible oils from W & N. You can wash your brushes in water & a little soap! They don't behave as nicely as the real thing, but I think they are better than acrylic paints if you like the look of oils. I've used them with the medium that supposedly promotes faster drying, but the results were pretty marginal. If for some reason I could not use oil paints, I would prefer these over the other choices. W & N makes a starter set that is pretty good.

If you plan on sticking with digital, ditch the mouse and get a Wacom tablet Intuos 2 4 x 5 that runs for about $200 and you will be amazed at the difference. I think PC Nation has the best price - PCNation Part #: 507066 Manufacturer Part #: XD45USB

Take care and good luck - Denny

yogi
07-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi Denny: Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my tardiness in getting back to you. I didn't know there was such a thing as water-soluble "oil-like" paints. That sounds really interesting. Will look for them next time I'm in the big city art store. :) By the way, my hubby got me a Wacom tablet!! (hop hop) After maneuvering the mouse for so long, it is a little different; however, I know I'm going to enjoy wearing it out! :D