PDA

View Full Version : Oops . . . forgot to sign

blumoon
05-26-2004, 11:52 AM
I varnished a group of paintings last night some old, some new. I used satin Golden Polymar varnish with UVLS. I realized this morning that two were not signed. This varnish is not recommended to be painted over, but I want to sign them. I prefer to sign on the front. Any ideas on what to use?

Einion
05-26-2004, 01:21 PM
The reason Golden say you shouldn't paint over it is that they subscribe to the idea that varnishes should be removable in case they become damaged in some way, which is sound thinking IMO. So if you sign over your varnish and at some point in the future it is cleaned, your signature will likely be removed at the same time.

If you use one of the spirit-soluble varnishes intended for acrylics (like MSA and Soluvar) you could clean the corner of the painting off with mineral spirits and then re-varnish that portion again after adding your signature. Since that's not an option you could consider signing them and then varnishing over the signature, it's probably better than just leaving it sitting 'naked' on top of the varnish layer.

Einion

blumoon
05-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Actually Einion, I think you are right. This varnish is removable with ammonia, so I had come to the conclusion that I'd have to remove a small area to sign then retouch the varnish. Thank you for your input. As usual, you have a sensible answer, and that confirms my thoughts on the matter. :D

HRH Goldie
05-27-2004, 05:37 AM
Ditto Einion, I think this is your only solution (no pun intended)Blumoon.
Only other thing is to sign in permanent ink but then you would have to take off a corner of varnish just the same - so you may as well sign in acrylics and then revarnish.
Christine
PS Careful with the ammonia though - no tears before bedtime :eek:

chal
05-27-2004, 10:15 AM
This is a very informative post as I have also forgotten to sign before varnishing :)

Cara

HRH Goldie
05-27-2004, 11:48 AM
I just remembered something that may help and hopefully stop someone making the same mistakes lol!
I had varnished a piece and then saw a glaringly obvious but small mistake.
Because it was small I decided to risk painting over the varnish in this area, then gave it another coat to seal. Problem was that the varnish seemed to 'melt' the small amount of paint I had used to correct and smeared it. It didn't matter to the overall piece as it was an area of predominantly one colour but it infuriated me. :mad:
I therefore had nothing to lose so I mixed a tiny amount of said colour with varnish I was using and applied it to the area I wanted to cover. I am pleased to say that it did work and I finished off when that was dry by revarnishing the whole lot paying particular attention to this area.
It held and did not run this time and I concluded the piece done.
It is an unknown quantity that should someone try and remove the top layer of varnish will the underneath lift too. I guess until a test piece is carried out than it shall remain an unknown quantity.
I thought I would just toss this in as it has just come to mind
Christine

blumoon
05-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Yeah HRHGoldie . . . point taken. Don't worry about me and ammonia. We are old friends now. I just removed varnish from several paintings that were done incorrectly, and the small amount I will need is nothing in comparison to the overdose I had recently! Not to mention, I have been breathing in ammonia for thirty years at my job as a hairstylist. EEK! :eek: