PDA

View Full Version : A challenge painting

Chiers
05-26-2004, 12:49 AM
I was reminded this afternoon about this challenge so I forced myself to get into it. The challenge was to paint a picture of something that is special to you, and explain why it is. This is what I painted. A rain lamp my daughter bought for me about 25yrs ago when she was 15yrs old.

themanda
05-26-2004, 12:57 AM
wow...such sharp definition!! great work.

i was half expecting a nude monkey wearing spurs tho....LOL!!!

Chiers
05-26-2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks Manda. Here are a couple close ups.

Jet
05-26-2004, 01:50 AM
Sherry,
this one looks like the real thing...
..i sort of like these gadgets too.

..right on with the closeups..

Regards

Gail45CA
05-26-2004, 03:35 AM
This is incredible looking! I'm in awe how this is done. How is digital art produced?

Chiers
05-26-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi Gail and thank you!

There are many ways of producing digital art but speaking for myself only, I paint digital pictures pretty much the same way as I would as if I were using real oil, or acrylic etc, on a traditional canvas. I use a wacom tablet and stylus for my brush. I do not use any filters, effects or digital tricks when I paint. In my opinion digital art is very easy to learn. The toughest part is learning how to use the programs. And thats not all that hard, at least for me because I only use the painting tools.

Digital painting gives you the option of simulating oils, acrylics, watercolors or almost any medium you can think of. It's also an excellent tool to work out a traditional painting before starting on the real thing.

There are advantages to it that you don't have in traditional painting such as an undo button. If you make a stroke you don't like you just click undo. Makes fixing errors pretty easy. You can also use layers and that has me kind of spoiled now as I really miss them when I am doing a traditional painting. YOu also have a color picker that will sample the colors if you have a reference picture to work with so you don't have to mix your own. lol

Having said all that I would highly recommend any artist give digital art a try. It's just another medium and enhances the traditional ones. :)

JCoop
05-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Sherry, beautifully detailed painting. Glad to see you posting! Also, excellent description of your digital art approach... well said!

justjean
05-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Great job on this painting Sherry and what a great gift :)

Michael
05-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Beautiful detail and feeling!! It really comes through that this is a special piece for you.