PDA

View Full Version : Picnic Of Broken Dreams

Vasili
05-25-2004, 11:10 PM
I painted this as a gift for my Mother-in-Law and just wanted to share it with you fine folks. I think it's done and just need to varnish it soon.

Anybody know how long one should wait until they varnish an acrylic. I know oils can take up to nine months to completely dry, but how much time does one wait with acrylics?

Picnic Of Broken Dreams

Acrylics
16 X 20
Canvas

LisaArt
05-26-2004, 12:14 AM
HI Vasili, Your mother in law will be pleased. It looks done to me. Good work. I like the colours you used. Very strong and bold.
I also like what is going on this painitng. I am just curious why you called it Picinic of broken dreams.?

laudesan
05-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Love your sand..:)

I used to varnish my acrylics the day after I finished them..:)

Marty C
05-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Hi Vasili,
Intriguing composition here, there is a story behind this scene and plenty going on to really engage the viewer.
One of the nice things (and one of the frustrating things at the same time) is the quick drying times of acrylics. You can paint in the morning and varnish in the afternoon, provided you didn't go very thick with a knife or texture paste, in which case more drying time is required, but even then generally not much more than a day is needed - very different from oils in that respect. You can also apply up to four coats of varnish in a day as long as you leave an hour or so between coats.

Vasili
05-31-2004, 03:22 PM
I am just curious why you called it Picinic of broken dreams.?
Hi Lisa, I called it that because on the foreground palm tree her initials are engraved in a heart and she just scratched out her love interest's initials. He was supposed to meet her on the beach for this planned picnic but stood her up.

The photo didn't come through as well as I would have liked.

Thanks, Marty for the varnish tips, and congrats on your changed status around here.