PDA

View Full Version : Dylan and the primaries!

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 08:37 AM
Tried OPs - must get to grips with them - they're like bulls lugs!!!!!!
Approx 15x20cms, Ingres paper, 1hr30mins.
I WILL LEARN - (MAKE THAT MY MANTRA!) :)
Not sure about the scan - think it looks much brighter IRL, but will check later.

katju
05-25-2004, 10:40 AM
The colors are perfect for this subject/scene. I especially love the way the pants came out and the primary colors on the focal point make it pop from the neutral background. Very nice! :clap:

Kathy

Deano
05-25-2004, 10:48 AM
What are "bull's lugs"? Stirs up my twisted imagination. Lol. :evil: You may be fighting with the OP, but I hereby declare you the winner in this round. I like so many things here...that great background loosness...the special attitude of the boy's shoes...excellent shading on the pants...that impish face (how did you get such extreme detail, like the mouth)? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bertoni
05-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Maureen: I like the colors here and nice drawing! Did you mean "bulls legs"?
:)

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 11:20 AM
What are "bull's lugs"? Stirs up my twisted imagination. Lol. :evil: You may be fighting with the OP, but I hereby declare you the winner in this round. I like so many things here...that great background loosness...the special attitude of the boy's shoes...excellent shading on the pants...that impish face (how did you get such extreme detail, like the mouth)? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you so much Deano - your comments mean a great deal! :)
"Bulls' lugs" = bulls' ears - just slang (but very descriptive!) of something clumsy and cumbersome - thick and awkward! :D That's how I find OPs - but I found a tip by Sundiver in another post and I'll try her suggestion for blending.
Delicacy is not, for me, available in OPs so the mouth and eyes etc were (or tried to be) the merest touches!

Kathy - thank you for the comment and providing the cute Dylan! :D

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Maureen: I like the colors here and nice drawing! Did you mean "bulls legs"?
:)

Hi Bertoni and thank you - you'll see my expanation of "bulls' lugs" in the post above - definitely lugs! :D

Dyin
05-25-2004, 05:47 PM
I think you are full of bull's lugs :p This is a GREAT OP!!! Perhaps you're trying to acheive a different effect but what you have here works wonderfully. In fact the way you left the edges it reminds me of an all American illustration like you'd see long ago on The Post cover...really! You said something about old OPs..student grade? I'd love to see what you could do with some professional grade and once you've hit your comfort zone. I am so in love with those pants and turned in shoes! :clap: :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
05-25-2004, 05:54 PM
You've captured his pose and attitude nicely! Bull lugs are no stoppers for you anyway :clap::clap::clap:

ams
05-25-2004, 06:56 PM
I really like what you did here. You have just enough suggestion of detail that the eye fills the rest in. I love the pants!

Anne

Yokovich
05-25-2004, 10:49 PM
very cool looks like an image from an old show called "our gang"---really wonderful sense of "trouble in the making" lol

dabblerdot
05-26-2004, 04:06 AM
This delightful painting makes me wish I could say it was mine ! :clap: :clap: I like everything about it- the posture, the face, the wonderful background, the cute toes of shoes. Girl, I think you have whipped those OP's into great shape !
(by the way, if my 'girls' were any indication, cow lugs are really very soft and nice with a fringe of fine hair off the bottom edge ! ) :D

Drumbeat-trish
05-26-2004, 01:31 PM
As deano said you definitely came out the winner here -this is wonderfully charming :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Thank you kindly for all the positive comments! You are really much too kind!!!!
Sue, my ancient OPs are very basic and I think I like them enough now to invest in decent ones - my next trip to the Art shop is likely to be heavy on the pocket!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Dd. - I'm sure your 'girls', being feminine were much silkier and delicate than their male counterparts! :D

SwitzerS
05-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Oh, he's such a cutie - I like how this one turned out.

Precious Mazie
05-27-2004, 12:31 PM
This is charming OP's, bull lugs and all! By the way that is a great expression! Never heard it before but will become part of my vocabulary from now on! :D

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Thank you S/S and Precious Maizie - you're very kind! (and I shall try to continue educating you in Geordie slang!). :D

ctmobitz
05-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Maureen.....

You did a fantastic job......what cheapy OPs did you use? I probably have the same ones.....but I swear at mine...LOL>

Keep OPing...you sure got the touch for them....(jealous here)

Regards,
Claude

xreader
05-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Very nicely done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

theIsland
05-28-2004, 02:35 PM
"Dylan and the Primaries" sounds like a '60s band name! Charming painting - very "Little Rascals."

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2004, 06:05 PM
what cheapy OPs did you use? I probably have the same ones.....but I swear at mine...LOL>

Claude

Thank you Claude - my sentiments exactly (the swearing at them bit)!!!!!!!!!!! :) I have some Rowneys that must be about 30+ yrs old, slightly 'younger' Reeves and Cray Pas and some new, but cheap, Faber Castell. Do you find them thick and clumsy too? I think I should be blending more! :confused:

Thank you xreader and Noma - your comments are always appreciated. :)

Sharrm
05-29-2004, 03:36 AM
Charming painting Maureen, like the posture and the expression on his face. Impishly cute, right down to the toes of his shoes. :clap: :clap: :clap: Sharron

Charlie's Mum
05-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Charming painting Maureen, like the posture and the expression on his face. Impishly cute, right down to the toes of his shoes. :clap: :clap: :clap: Sharron

Ah Sharron - my friend!!! Thank you! :D

irish artist
05-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Yes, you're a winner :clap: What are bull lugs indeed! Could I suggest that you try blending with paper torqs or stomps? That may help conquer the beast.

Charlie's Mum
06-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Yes, you're a winner :clap: What are bull lugs indeed! Could I suggest that you try blending with paper torqs or stomps? That may help conquer the beast.
Thanks Irish - still think the OPs are like bulls' lugs - but will try blending ( when I can work out how it's done)! :rolleyes:
Wendy suggested oil, which I shall try, rather than turps, and I see there's more help over in the pastel/OP forum. When my visitors leave maybe I'll have a chance to study it! :D

blondiedenise
06-01-2004, 12:49 PM
You did a great job! My attempt @ pastels was not as successful...

The pants are terrific! Keep at those OPs, your work is gonna be incredible! :clap: :clap: