PDA

View Full Version : WDE 5-22-04 project-barns

xreader
05-25-2004, 01:54 AM
Sorry to be late, I worked about 2 hours on this tonight. It is op's on letter size med. blue construction paper. I notice I am not able to get much more than two layers on, and am not able to mix or blend colors as I usually do. Any comments welcome. :) OH yes, I have included my crop of the reference.

sundiver
05-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Good start! Construction paper won't take many layers; too slick or something. Sometimes you can get more on if you blend with oil (e.g.baby oil or veg oil) and a q-tip, and let it sit overnight to soak into the paper.

SwitzerS
05-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Very interesting - I like the shapes and the simplicity.

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Rome wasn't built in a day, so don't lose sleep over the barns!!!!!!!!
Nice feeling of strong sunlight - will keep watching! :)

Wendy, thanks for tip - you'll see why I need it if you view my piece! :rolleyes:

Deano
05-25-2004, 11:03 AM
You started well. Too bad about not being able to add more OP. It requires paper with more tooth, methinks.

Dyin
05-25-2004, 05:53 PM
I like what you have started here, but it sure is hard to have to fight the surface like that. If you stick it in the fridge and let it 'set' a bit you might have an easier time of it, I agree it's good to have some tooth, although I've used slick Bristol Vellum and it works great..go figure! Hope you can work through it, looks like a winner and i like the crop.

stonewhiteclown
05-25-2004, 06:05 PM
You have nice strong contrast as light hits that barns here! It has interesting graphical quiality to it! :clap: Great start all in all!
I've seen this crop too while zooming through different pictures! Glad you found it!

Helen
05-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Nice start... I look forward to seeing what you do with this; I'm working on the same barns. Interesting to see the different takes on the same photo.
Helen

Yokovich
05-25-2004, 10:48 PM
do it again on "sanded" paper--wooo wooooo!!! nice colors :)

dabblerdot
05-26-2004, 04:00 AM
I really like the focus the crop delivers ! Very geometric shapes- I like that, somehow very soothing to the eye and mind, :clap: tho I bet you weren't feeling soother by the paper and the problems it caused you ! I hope you'll continue on and repost !

katju
05-26-2004, 09:42 AM
I really like your composition. Sorry to hear about the paper problem. That's kind of frustrating but this one looks like it would be worth trying again. Those oil pastels sure seem to be popular. :)

Kathy

Drumbeat-trish
05-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Nice strong crop -I like this - frustrating when you have to fight the paper though. Those shapes really work and I like your colour choices !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

xreader
05-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Thank you for the info-Wendy and Dyin. Thank you for your kind words Sylvia, Maureen, Deano, Alex, Helen, Celestia, dabblerdot, Kathy and Drumbeat-trish. :D
All your kind words made it easier to post this final. I am a bit embarrassed. Well, I did learn not to bow to time pressures-if I want good work, I'll have to put in the neccessary time, and not rush. Of course that is not quite the purpose of the WDE's, is it? ;)

Dyin
05-28-2004, 01:18 AM
I think it has a kind of neat abstract look and it really works for depth too. Hey, WDE's are for stretching and experimenting and learning what you can and can't do...and I'm not just being nice, it really does sort of have a fascination for me. Sort of graphic, sort of abstract, sort of cool. :cool:

stonewhiteclown
05-28-2004, 03:15 AM
It came out good, I believe! :clap: The focus is firmly on the barns, and composition is strong.
Yes, to me WDE is all about rush :) There is an opportunity to go looser, OTOH. Try it ;)

Sharrm
05-29-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi xreader, You shouldn't worry about being late, just go at your own speed. I think WDE's are about interacting with other painters, and just painting. I think they help you feel more comfortable posting your work, and trying new things you have never done before. The 2hr limit, works for some people, and if you are not finished at that time, just post what you have done so far, and continue on, IMHO. Having said that, I like your painting, the crop and composition is good. You picked a hard one with all the shapes and angles, not easy to do. Plus you had to fight with the paper problem. You have done a very good job with this. :D Sharron

lorna12
05-29-2004, 04:23 AM
The crop you did of the photo is very appealing...makes a great composition in my opinion. I like what you've done with the shapes and colors. Too bad about the paper problems but you still managed a good job!

:clap: :clap: