AmyH
09-18-2001, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
opportunist!

?

jerryW
09-18-2001, 07:49 PM
either that or you cut someone.
or even more gross if you used a chicken.

AmyH
09-18-2001, 08:05 PM
it's menstrual blood.

Luvy
09-18-2001, 08:59 PM
That's kind of gross. This must be called PMS.

colorme
09-18-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Luvy
That's kind of gross. This must be called PMS.

LMAO,:D, Hey luvy I live really close to you it's not even funny. I'm probaly less than 30 minutes away from riverview.

AmyH
09-18-2001, 09:27 PM
why is it gross?

colorme
09-18-2001, 09:33 PM
i think it's creative, not gross, nothing like it in wetcanvas, it's original :) I like the legs.

Cherie
09-19-2001, 12:59 AM
LOL.........what is next, Amy?

AmyH
09-19-2001, 01:33 AM
war is what I hear.

wendee
09-19-2001, 04:14 AM
well it certainly is original.....:D :D HUGS

btw hope your taking iron tablets....lol..lol..(ok not funny)

ArtyHelen
09-19-2001, 05:33 AM
Is that someone with a really big head, leaning over, wearing bunny slippers?
As for the whole idea, I find it very icky and slightly revolting.
But I'm pretty sure that's one of the reactions you were expecting, or even hoping for. :)

Helen

Gollator
09-19-2001, 07:43 AM
Actions/Reactions (In order of appearance):
Looking,
Reading,
trying to understand,
disbelieving,
frowning,
smiling,
laughing,
frowning,
smiling.

mame
09-19-2001, 07:54 AM
I am dismayed at the response of women to their own bodys' fluid as "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross".

Ruth
09-19-2001, 08:25 AM
I see a woman warrior carrying a sword and shield....

R.

Cindy
09-19-2001, 08:54 AM
The discussion of the making of the image is more interesting than the actual image - performance art.

ArtyHelen
09-19-2001, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by mame
I am dismayed at the response of women to their own bodys' fluid as "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross".

Correction, mame, not to our own.

I'm just uncomfortable seeing other people's body fluids. I'll leave that to the different (though commendable) species that they call nurses, thanx.

Helen

aaasp
09-19-2001, 09:03 AM
Is our emotional reaction to this supposed to be stronger because the medium used is blood (menstrual to boot..)?
If so it leaves the realm of the visual and indeed becomes "conceptual".
There's an obvious desire to shock. So be it.
What's wrong with paint?;)

AmyH
09-19-2001, 10:14 AM
No, this is not meant to shock or disgust, at all. I am an excellent painter and draftsman, I dont need to shock, or disgust, to get people to look and comment on my art; as those of you who have been around as long as I know. Of course you wont believe me, but who are you?

Using red paint would have been the equivilent of a bad special effect. Blood is potent, blood has power. Power of life.

The method is only more interesting than the image because your to close minded to see beyond the media and how it got to my hands.

amy

AmyH
09-19-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Ruth
I see a woman warrior carrying a sword and shield....

R.

thanks Ruth.

amy

Cindy
09-19-2001, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by AmyH

The method is only more interesting than the image because your to close minded to see beyond the media and how it got to my hands.

amy

How do you know that my mind is closed to seeing beyond the media?

I didn't say that I found the image uninteresting - only that I found the discussion around it more interesting and that made me wonder if that was your point to begin with.

:rolleyes:

AmyH
09-19-2001, 11:06 AM
Cindy,

I am sorry,

that was not directed at you in particular, though you did mention that and it sparked the comment though its aimed at the general thoughts re the imagery. you do see that no one has discussed the images themselves but ruth initially. and, as I did state here, or in the other thread, while tha blood is metaphorically important, people cannot get beyond it, or should I say accept it, and move on to the actual images. no I dont know your mind anymore than anyone here knows mine but the assumptions fly. anyhow. I wish I hadnt posted these, if they dissappear (though I dont like to delete stuff) youll know why.

Cindy
09-19-2001, 11:15 AM
Amy,

I am sorry that I made you feel that way!

I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I immediately began to examine your motives and wrongly assumed the purpose of the piece. I think this is because I strongly associate your work with contemporary art and I know that much of contemporary art is about process. I am also beginning to see what happens here between those at WC as art and I thought this was a contribution to that.

Considering the image apart from all that baggage, I see two figures in motion and a head in the upper rh corner. It gives me the feeling of an energetic and violent dance. I particularly appreciate the motion in the piece and the use of white space.

allanom
09-19-2001, 11:33 AM
Amy:

Interesting that your posting has gagged (so to speak:O) most of the males who usually wax so eloquent here. You shouldn't be surprised or annoyed at the general reaction to your works; you would have to be naive not to have expected the "icky" to "gross" comments they engendered. Try as I might, I can't bring myself to look for any length of time at your images -- I feel like I've stumbled across a used menstrual pad, knowing the origin of your medium. It appears most people who can hold their gaze are treating them as ink blot tests -- seeing what their psychogenesis projects.

Brave posting, but, your work may be a little ahead of its time, or maybe should be shown to a more select audience.

AmyH
09-19-2001, 11:40 AM
I am sorry too. Hard to know intent with out it being stated. My work is always about the imagery first and foremost. in this case only is the medium as important. Although I feel I am a champion of pure concept art, pure performance art etc, I do not now, nor have I ever considered myself one, I am too imeresed (sp) in image.

Also, I suppose since I have been dealing with collecting, storing and using my blood (about 30 images so far), it really became a medium, despite its meaning. I don't want that statement to condescend to what blood is, but explain why I am a bit taken aback by the overwhelming amount of attention given the blood itself, while images go almost overlooked. Think about if the inks only got comments on the ink.

amy

Mich451
09-19-2001, 11:46 AM
LOL...

A true conservationist. For years I wondered who would have the guts to fess up first to the red color on paper...

Think song... "it had to be you...."

AmyH
09-19-2001, 11:49 AM
Al,

I didnt initially say where the blood came from (as if it matters) but being called an opportunist I felt I should reveal the source, a mistake perhaps in one light, helpfull in another. Not to mention, I don't mind as a side bar; the discussion of menstruation. Too many people including women think of it as a gross shamefull dirty thing, and its not.

please direct me to the proper crowd. I been looking for them for an eternity.

amy

Ladysue
09-19-2001, 11:51 AM

Your piss is body fluid! Wouldn't you consider that "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross"?

Ladysue
09-19-2001, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AmyH
[B]Al,

the discussion of menstruation. Too many people including women think of it as a gross shamefull dirty thing, and its not.

Woa! Who said shamefull? Can something just be gross?
As for the image itself, to my opinion, it's just not as powerfull as the rest of what you've been posting. The medium took over.

You usually have a very illustrative polished powerful pen or paintbrush. This time, you leave a lot to the imagination. The only thing "in your face" about this is the medium. I guess the lazy way out of trying to decript the illustration is to get stuck on the medium.

Sorry Amy I prefer your other stuff. Try using the blood the way you use your inks, It might work better.

AmyH
09-19-2001, 12:05 PM
urine is urine. it has a purpose.

my reaction to bugs is ew! but not really. when I stop and consider what they are, and that they have a purpose, like all things, they become what they are.

Don't disparage these things by saying they are gross. When proper care is taken, all of these things are useful, beautiful.

allanom
09-19-2001, 12:08 PM
Hey Amy:

Good on you that you are maintaining a sense of humour in the face of some pretty strong reactions.

Don't have any suggestions about alternative venues to this one. Some years back, a good friend had a show at an "alternative" gallery in Toronto, a show comprised of works in which she had taken tampons, tied a string around the middle and dipped them in various dyes to make them puff up like little butterflies. She attached them in rows onto heavy paper and encased them in plexi boxes. They were quite striking -- and a little ahead of their time, we all felt.

I agree with you that the discussion about menstrual blood is healthy for the reasons you have stated. However, given the repressed, puritan background of most of us, the use of female body fluids as an art medium would still have to be considered a "bio-political" statement, even in our much more liberated present times.

AmyH
09-19-2001, 12:10 PM
originally posted by ladysue:

I guess the lazy way out of trying to decript the illustration is to get stuck on the medium.

your the one stuck. not to mention way off base. what do you know of my laziness? do tell.

Cindy
09-19-2001, 01:14 PM
I thought she meant that we (the viewers) are all lazy because rather than looking at the image (decripting), we concentrated on the medium.

I think you have a strong following here at WC, Amy. [I saw your comment about looking for the right audience.] I guess in any group you will have a variety of reactions...

I think the discussions coming out of this are great!

Once I realized the point of the piece was the image & not the process, I could see more. I think you were right. My mind was closed - closed because I had thought first to figure out the purpose of the piece and not to experience it.

Then I could see the violence and emotion. It became quite poignant for me.

Ladysue
09-19-2001, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by AmyH
originally posted by ladysue:

your the one stuck. not to mention way off base. what do you know of my laziness? do tell.

Yes I am stuck!!! That's the whole point I'm trying to make. As for Laziness NOT YOU!!! ME!!! From a viewer point!

Ae ae ae! Amy, you certainly are emotional about this!... And why wouldn't you be, its your art! Please let me try this again, and if you're still pissed I'll never critique your work again since it really is not constructive from your receiving end!

What I was trying to say is that for an unacustomed viewer like ME! When something like your recent drawing is more suggested than explained in its shape and technique, it is then possible that a medium such as human blood will take front stage since it has a lot of obvious cultural and symbolic meaning attached to it. Here comes the laziness part....

It is laziness on my part to get stuck on the medium because it is so "in your face" and I got stuck on it because the drawing required more attention in order to grasp the feeling, emotion and meaning you wanted to get across than the work I am acustomed to and than the work you posted up to now.

I was suggesting, since you said you were not looking to provoque or make an attempt at conceptual art, maybee your point would get across better if you still used the blood but attempted a more realism not so abstract form. That way, unaccustomed, lazy, not so elite people like me who get stuck on the medium might not get so stuck!

If however you wanted this to be a little less accessible, than that is greatly acheived, but don't get angry because some of us did not get the point.

Now you might not want my opinion. I am just a landscapist. I don't show in galleries and I don't think I have mastered my art to the point you have mastered yours...but I thaught this was a public forum and that you would like some feedback!

AmyH
09-19-2001, 01:34 PM
My apologies sue..I see. just to clarify "shameful" in my prior post, we hide our unused protection devices, is what I am geting at, we are embarrased we bleed to a great extent.

thanks cindy,

I know, and expect varying viewpoints. I do not comment (except in debates) about work I find unappealing or merely boring, I ignore it, unless specifically asked (fairgrove). I rarely even say anything re comp etc. In a community that continually boasts "support" from its members I find some of the responses, ironic?

for those who think I do this work to get these (sick gross shocking) responses, you could not be more wrong. It feels the same as if someone responded to your work in that manner. Is that why you do what you do?

I want truth, yes not lies, and I get it, I guess I just hope the truth is different pretty silly huh, maybe in the next world.

amy

AmyH
09-19-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Ladysue

Yes I am stuck!!! That's the whole point I'm trying to make. As for Laziness NOT YOU!!! ME!!! From a viewer point!

Ae ae ae! Amy, you certainly are emotional about this!... And why wouldn't you be, its your art! Please let me try this again, and if you're still pissed I'll never critique your work again since it really is not constructive from your receiving end!

What I was trying to say is that for an unacustomed viewer like ME! When something like your recent drawing is more suggested than explained in its shape and technique, it is then possible that a medium such as human blood will take front stage since it has a lot of obvious cultural and symbolic meaning attached to it. Here comes the laziness part....

It is laziness on my part to get stuck on the medium because it is so "in your face" and I got stuck on it because the drawing required more attention in order to grasp the feeling, emotion and meaning you wanted to get across than the work I am acustomed to and than the work you posted up to now.

I was suggesting, since you said you were not looking to provoque or make an attempt at conceptual art, maybee your point would get across better if you still used the blood but attempted a more realism not so abstract form. That way, unaccustomed, lazy, not so elite people like me who get stuck on the medium might not get so stuck!

If however you wanted this to be a little less accessible, than that is greatly acheived, but don't get angry because some of us did not get the point.

Now you might not want my opinion. I am just a landscapist. I don't show in galleries and I don't think I have mastered my art to the point you have mastered yours...but I thaught this was a public forum and that you would like some feedback!

very well put, and again I am sorry. Yes I want your input and no I didnt want them less accessable I wanted them very accessable, so I have failed. not the first time, not the last.

Ladysue
09-19-2001, 01:59 PM
"not the first time, not the last"

Happy to see it's not the last attempt you will make! I can't wait to see your next posting with blood! I am sure I'll get passed the medium this time and just when I think you're at your peak, you find a way of getting even better...I don't see why this should be any different!

See ya next time and I'll try to be more clear.

mame
09-19-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Ladysue

Your piss is body fluid! Wouldn't you consider that "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross"?

Men have been "pissing" masterpieces in the snow I suspect since they learned how to hold it in one hand and while smoking with the other. Wish I could do that.

I sit and piss every day several times a day. Never occurred to me that it was "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross"

Gollator
09-19-2001, 02:29 PM
Hey Amy,

having read all this other stuff I realized I haven't said anything about the image itself.
I have to think on an exhibition "Krperwelten" here in germany where they filled corpes with plastix so that people could look at it.

It was very interesting to watch that most women looked intensely on dead women, and man at dead men. Before, i thought it would be the other way.

Maybe I am just a stuck, stupid male. :)

So.

As for the image, it is very powerful. You worked out the eyes, and I do not see a female warrior, but some guy who picks up trash in the park.

But this is when I look at the image only, otherwise I am still frowning and smiling. (Silly me)

Greetings,
Gollator

Gollator
09-19-2001, 02:44 PM
P.S.:
Thanks for making me think.

Ladysue
09-19-2001, 02:52 PM

Men have been "pissing" masterpieces in the snow I suspect since they learned how to hold it in one hand and while smoking with the other. Wish I could do that.

I sit and piss every day several times a day. Never occurred to me that it was "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross"

O.K. You're right about the "masterpieces in the snow", I hadn't thaught of it this way. ....But urine, to me, is not a beautiful or appealing subject or medium and if it's not Icky, why do we wash our hands once we are done???. It's just my opinion. Yet you can apreciate that when a child decides to piss a masterpieces in the snow the parent's/babysitters mind is not "Wow what a masterpiece!" No, what they will do is teach the child about hygiene, and proper behavior in a family/social environment.

Yet still people will consider mold and milldew to be "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross", and I heard of an artist who does amazing figurative and abstract glass sculptures colored only by bacteria and fugus specially placed and selected by the artist for it's color. I've been wanting to see it ever since. I am convinced it will be beautifull.

To each his own.

But all of this has nothing to do with what Amy drew! Her's was blood, not urine, all I was trying to do by saying "Urine is a fluid and you have to agree that's "disgusting"/"icky"/"gross", is to compare it (the menstrual blood) to something I thought maybee people who didn't think it was"disgusting"/"icky"/"gross" would feel that way about (urine). Just so you would get my point which is: use something people feel very strongly about, get a strong rection about that thing not the subject it depicts! Yes some things will make the general public feel that way and that is o.k. It's human.

AmyH
09-19-2001, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Gollator
P.S.:
Thanks for making me think.

ditto.

posting makes me leave the safe area I function in. How delighted (yep fraid so) with my little blood drawings in my space I was. I began to feel better, ok again. Odd I suppose, but true. Now that I posted, I can feel bad again, helpless, hopeless and in true horror of who I really am, and of what I do. funny, the light doesnt feel so warm and fuzzy.

amy

Gollator
09-19-2001, 03:33 PM
"I'm only happy when it rains" - Garbage
"it can't rain all the time." - eric draven (The Crow)

jheinrich
09-19-2001, 04:21 PM
I see a man bent over backwards with a spear through his stick body's chest and wearing a loincloth.

I cannot separate the medium from the context of the painting, and prefer this one greatly to the other you posted (~)- mostly because there is a distinct image I have to associate with it and furthermore the menstrual blood (I would have assumed that's what it was without your telling me) being used to represent a male and war is oddly comforting to me- as though menstruation is not the realm of only women here, just as war is not solely the realm of men.

So there. Keep posting and if you feel bad about what you create, then how am I supposed to keep going? Not to put some noose around your neck- but there are young painters out there who need you to be strong to keep going.

Well, I would keep going anyway, but it helps to know you exist.

j*

Cherie
09-19-2001, 04:53 PM
It looks like an injured baby..........I am not sure about the small creatures....but it looks like they are attacking the baby.
Amy, was this done before the WTC or after?

AmyH
09-19-2001, 05:11 PM
done after, and because of. I guess in it being so well defined in my own mind, I figured it would be clear to all. sorry for not stating it right off.

amy

ejfarrae
09-19-2001, 06:07 PM
the first reaction to any image is always from a visual point of view. thus, to me, the most important aspect of an image based art is its visual strength. i found initially this image strong and pleasing in an eastern calligraphy-esque vein. reminiscent of japanese scrolls with maybe even a touch of jackson pollock (no offense). then as i looked longer i began to see the crumpled figure; the tilted head, beautiful in it's gestural way. i like it either way (though now that i've seen a figure it's hard for me to see the abstract image i started out liking).
to me the medium is inconsequential. amy is not the first artist nor will she be the last to use blood or bodily fluids as a medium. i've done it myself after accidentally cutting myself with an exacto knife, surprised by the amount of blood and the lack of pain, my mind turned to trying to find a use for that intense color. i loved it. of course not to the extent that i will cut myself again to get some more but who knows, maybe someday i will. in that regard ladies, you have an advantage. i don't know what all the fuss is about. don't we, as artists, have a responsibility to push the envelope? to expand the boundaries? i think so.
bravo amy.

arourapope
09-19-2001, 07:02 PM
Hey Girl!
I got to page two of the responses and then decided I better go ahead and respond before reading further.....that way the response would be more toward the piece we are discussing, then toward the other responses. Soooo, hope I'm not repeating anyone. I'm trying not to.
Anyway, I have an interesting blood story to tell you. A few years back, the community I was living in did a show to memorialize a lynching that had happened about about 50 years hence. It took place on a bridge. Terrible story, really.....several people were shot, including a woman that was five months pregnant. All were killed. Anyway, to make a long, sad story short, I tried to do an illustrative piece of the happening. The bridge crossed water, and I used shadows and reflections in the water to tell the story. It was entirely done with pencil, in black and white.
Then I tried to frame the piece myself. Well, I really suck at framing, though I am getting better; and I wound up cutting my hand on the glass. I splattered blood all over the drawing. And the show was the next day.
I went ahead and entered the drawing, framed, blood and all. LOL! It won second place. I heard whispers, as I walked through the room, that I had killed a chicken and that it was chicken blood.
Oh well, just goes to show you.
Anyway! I think the menstrual blood, and the image, VERY fitting to where we stand now, as a nation and a world. Powerful image, powerful medium, powerful execution. Keep on keeping on, okay?
And when they whisper that it's chicken blood, you have a much more interesting response than mine was. Kudos to you.

You have broken through a bunch of barriers here. I just wanna say, good for you.
Aurora

AmyH
09-20-2001, 12:48 AM
thanks ejfarre and aurora for your coments, so well said, and very much appreciated.

amy

FioreQ
09-20-2001, 01:24 AM
Well I see just some very lonely people....
and I always admired Amy's art....and this is something special...I wouldn't keep it at home but it is something...It is kind of gross for me...as I don't like blood in any way....and I hate that small and I can sense it now..is it because I'm on my period? maybe...

but weird thing came to my mind....woman you bleed a lot!! I could never paint anything w/"my"suplier....
sorry

:)

Sergey
09-20-2001, 03:58 AM
I didn't think I would post something, but I saw such an active discussion today...wow.
I can see a person, carrying a large bag on his back.
You see Amy, people (and me too) have natural reactions to some things. Fear in darkness, love to young creatures (children or small animals), fear of fire etc.
When people see blood on something (paper in this picture), they tend to think only about it and not the image that is painted with it.
The "~" image gave me even more of that feeling "Oh, someone is killed, blood, hair, they've hit his head by an axe...".

There was an oil paint before, called "natural brown mummy", made of real mummies (not all of Egyptians were Pharaohs). It had a brilliant, transparent brown color. BUT if an artist used it now and announced it, it would shock many, beleive me.

Post more, it's interesting. Think that blood is a watercolor, don't get too concentrated on the medium :)

AmyH
09-20-2001, 11:38 AM
fiore,

thanks for your comments. I collected almost 3 oz of blood on one day, is that a lot? I have no comparison, seems normal for me.

sergey,

thanks for replying. appreciate your comments, If these smash perceptions we are taught about anything good, even though that was not my intent. knee jerk reactions, even to beauty, are no good.

the first pieces were all abstract: equal to only seeing blood.

the second, humans began to emerge: seeing past the blood to what is really going on.

amy

mclaughlin
09-20-2001, 01:40 PM
"They're selling postcards of the hanging
They're painting the passports brown
The Beauty Parlor is filled with sailors
The Circus is in town..."

Bob Dylan

Nathan Reed
09-22-2001, 10:41 AM
Not often an artist can say, "look ma, no hands";)

Art that makes you think is a powerful art.

I've tried coffee before, but I have never tried blood. Can't do it without hurting myself, you can, bravo.

The familiar head is so common in your pieces. It didn't have to go far from your other media to get here it seems... nice work.