not hair!

AmyH
09-18-2001, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
not hair!

why, not hair?

jerryW
09-18-2001, 07:51 PM
it's a yucky material for 'art' to be made from when no longer in it's living follicles.
course that it my opinion which is myne.

AmyH
09-18-2001, 08:09 PM
yeah kinda like people making things outa dead trees, WIERD!

colorme
09-18-2001, 09:10 PM
Hi, :eek:This is actually very cool, who's blood and hair is this? is it animal blood? what's the name of your series?

AmyH
09-18-2001, 09:32 PM
As I said in the other thread, it is menstrual blood. It is collected in an instead cup (for those not familiar, its an alternative to tampons and "napkins" and caps off the blood flow until you remove it, then all the blood comes out at once) ok now that the anatomy/feminine device topic is covered... it's my hair.

the series is not titled.

giniaad
09-18-2001, 10:13 PM
blood, wax and hair...
at least it is not feces...

do you know that song...
"what was I thinking?"

I think I have been knocked senseless from this last week...
and maybe you too...

actually understand the menstral blood and hair...why wax?

the image is not funny...
not funny at all...
and now...I am wordless..

except...never heard of an instead cup...like a diaphram?

ginia

ps...now of all things...gotta go cook dinner...LOL...:D...hugs to you...!!

everetto
09-19-2001, 02:13 AM
The fact that this is blood and hair really means very little from a visual end-result, especially in cyberspace; however it must have had some emotional influence and I'd almost be willing to bet that the experience bordered on feeling spiritual or sacred. I could be very wrong about that, but at the very least, this piece gives me the impression of deep contemplation.

I'm noticing images within images here, but I also notice such images in other works that I know are not intentionally including them. Are you noticing the sort of 'subliminal' figures, the barely-recognizable?

MelG
09-19-2001, 03:20 AM
Your work is interesting and very contemporary compared with everything going on at this time .. Intrigued by all this, what I would do is, splash all the blood on a big piece of paper, then lift the paper verticaly and let the blood flow downwards helpleslly, meaninglessly... Maybe I would blow a bit of black powder paint on it to give a more dramatic outcome..

mame
09-19-2001, 07:39 AM
Sometimes art is about courage and the risk to (metaphorically) stand naked in front of strangers. Important art is rarely understood in its own time.

Gollator
09-19-2001, 08:01 AM
I sort of envy you because of two reasons:

(1.) I would not have the strength to post my liquid even if I could (2.) produce this.

I have hung my blood-group test in my room.

This is sick, nevertheless.

:)

Cindy
09-19-2001, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by mame
Important art is rarely understood in its own time.

However, not being understood does not automatically make the work important.

Cindy
09-19-2001, 08:58 AM
That comment I made above was in a general philosophical sense - not a direct response to the piece posted for crit.

Cindy
09-19-2001, 09:00 AM
The discussion of the making of the image is more interesting than the actual image - performance art.

mame
09-19-2001, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Cindy

However, not being understood does not automatically make the work important.

Yes, of course. Goes without saying. Unfortunately history and those who write it often (disclaimer - not always) dictate/determine/delegate "importance". Did you know that libraries often catalogue women philosophers (yes there are many besides Ayn Rand) under "Womens Studies"?

But I digress. Carry on.........

Cindy
09-19-2001, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by mame

Did you know that libraries often catalogue women philosophers (yes there are many besides Ayn Rand) under "Womens Studies"?

But I digress. Carry on......... .

No, I didn't know that! Sickening! Can you give some names? I only know about Ayn and Iris Murdoch... I want to read more.

pampe
09-19-2001, 10:15 AM
How might your life have been different if there had been a place for you? A place for you to go....a place of women, to help you learn the ways of women...a place where you were nurtured from an ancient flow sustaining you and steadying you as you sought to become yourself. A place of women to help you find and trust the ancient flow already there within yourself....waiting to be released......a place of women

How might your life have beeen different??? If on your first menstrual day, your mother had given you a bouquet of flowers and taken you to lunch, and then the two of you had gone to meet your father at the jewelers, where your ears were pierced, and your father bought you your first pair of earrings, and then you went with a few of your friends and your mother's friends to get your first lip coloring......and then you went for the very first time.....to the Women's Lodge....to learn the wisdom of women......

How might your life have been different?????

Pam

jerryW
09-19-2001, 10:25 AM
actually i like this one, but because of the materials I would avoid getting too serious about it except for our intellectual enjoyment.

the design is interesting and the texture from the hair excellent and good contrast.

AmyH
09-19-2001, 10:42 AM
when i worked in ink I did it for a reson. I did these in blood for a reason. It is not supposed to overide the imagery, though I want it considered, metaphorically. unexpectedly (like any medium) it has yeilded qualities that, in person, contribute to the imagery aside from the metaphor.

making these is the only thing that's made sense to me for days and days, that may not be good enough for you, but it is for me.

Cindy
09-19-2001, 11:19 AM
I see 3 organic shapes; one part human, one part plant, and one part dead - the dead part seems to be both human and plant. I see a force (almost like rain or bullets) flowing violently against the still living plant. I sense danger but also a quiet strength or resolve. I feel as though that live plant make be able to resist the bloddy rain.

Cindy
09-19-2001, 11:20 AM
Pampe,

I remember when I first read those passages - very beautiful and quite a wake up call for me at that time.

AmyH
09-19-2001, 12:35 PM
People always say "what did you expect?!" problem I guess, I dont think long enough, because if I did I would not post work. I only used mestrual blood because I cant draw my own blood. I think the side converstations re menstruation are good, but I did not intend for the imagery to be overidden by the medium, perhaps equal to it. I just wanted it to add a (as you said mame) metaphorical aspect, to get people thinking more about real blood shed and violence, hence the violent imagery.

these images are about violence, bloodshed, uncertainty and angst. how profoundly depressing the world is, ever shall be, without end, we survivors are not changed, we are the same, changed only in our numbers, and our landscape, that is the real horror.

mame
09-19-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Cindy

No, I didn't know that! Sickening! Can you give some names? I only know about Ayn and Iris Murdoch... I want to read more.

Hey Cindy there was even one in ancient times. Might have been preSocratic. Oh, how the memory fades with time. Can't think of her name.......will try to find some info. Not too much available written BY her but scholarly works ABOUT her. I'll go digging this afternoon. Oh, I love research! Be back........

Gollator
09-19-2001, 02:32 PM
I see tentacles, a spermatozyd (or something to make soap bubbles with) and some strange ...dots?

Da hair is tellin' me nottin, xqueeze me.

Nothing intelligent to say...so...I better shut up :)

mame
09-19-2001, 03:26 PM
It is not often that an artwork presents (can present) the multiple layers upon layers of meaning these do, if you are so disposed to ponder them.

One more thing about medium and then I'll shut up. Artists have been "playing with"/experimenting with mediums - traditional in non-traditional ways and unusual/non-traditional mediums since "artists" began. Take your pick of artists. Many of these "experimental" works are hanging in every museum all over the world.

Even Art moves forward. You cannot deter/stop its forward evolution - at least as long as we still exist - which may be a few more weeks.

jheinrich
09-19-2001, 04:08 PM
Empty
by Erica Jong

...who shall measure the heat and
violence of the poet's heart when caught
and tangled in a woman's body?
--Virginia Woolf

Every month,
the reminder of emptiness
so that you are turned
to your bodyharp,
strung out on the harpsichord
of all your nerves
& hammered bloody blue
as the crushed fingers
of the woman pianist
beaten by her jealous lover.

Who was she?
Someone I invented
for this poem,
someone I imagined...

Never mind,
she is me, you--

tied to the backbeat,
fainting on the rack of blood,
moving to the metronome--
empty, empty, empty.

No use.
The blood is thicker
than the roots of trees,
more persistent than my poetry,
more baroque than her bruised music.
It gilds the sky above the Virgin's head.
It turns the lilies white.

Try to run:
the blood still follows you.
Swear off children,
seek a quiet room
to practice your preludes & fugues.
Under the piano,
the blood accumulates;
eventually it floats you both away.

Give in.
Babies cry & music is your life.
Darling, you were born to bleed
or rock.
& the heart breaks
either way.

j*

ZOTMA
09-19-2001, 04:10 PM
The image is interesting
the medium is provocative even if that wasn't originally your intent
this discussion is priceless
your explanation was moving, it helped me appreciate the piece. I'm not sure if I like that though (my problem). That's a consideration of this piece and the other. They are a challenge to the audience no doubt. I hope they can stand on their own without your explanation. Shouldn't matter I guess, it was your expression. You satisfied your creative need/goal.
upon digestion of all the info, I am moved by this image, it's intent. (leaves me still questioning myself, what is expected of the audience)
thanks for posting them
critique-wise I'm not experienced with blood and hair. What's the archival potential here? Part of the interest of the piece? How it ages? The texture and composition are good, color works well.

mame
09-19-2001, 04:19 PM
Hey Zotma, hadn't thought of that. I suspect it will rust......
Interesting......

Unless protected with some kind of polymer or varnish?

Very interesting.

AmyH
09-19-2001, 04:41 PM
thanks mame, j, zotma

I thought about the archival as I was making them, although its not of any concern, just curios thoughts. I expect they will disintegrate. I am not going to varnish them. I thought at first I would but now do not want to ruin the integrity of the medium by permanantley altering it. They are rusty in color very shortly after. I am keeping them in plastic sleeves in a binder so thay can be looked at with out people worrying about touching them. think I will ultimatly make each seperate of the series into its own book, for now anyhow.

amy

jheinrich
09-19-2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by AmyH
think I will ultimatly make each seperate of the series into its own book, for now anyhow.

??? I don't see what you mean, there ... care to explain a bit?

j*

AmyH
09-19-2001, 04:53 PM
j,

as I move along I become more aware of the way the blood handles and the imagery changes. It has gone from completely abstract containing hair petals and wax, to being much more drawn and containing nothing but blood, the process has had lots of minute changes, including me spilling one vile and ending up sucking it back up into a clear eyes dropper and applying it to the paper that way, got to love the process.

I will (until I can find some inexpensive way to frame them, in the end I'll have 60 plus "drawings") preserve them by keeping them in plastic sleeves in binders, but, as that is not such a great presentation, I think I will make covers and bind the plastic sleeves as a "book" myself.

amy