PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 24 - 30 May

E-J
05-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Welcome to another week of pastel sketches!

This thread is open to all members of the Pastel forum, from newbie to pro. Its aim is to encourage us all to fit some pastelling into our week by doing relatively quick studies which take anything up to an hour. Set your timer for 25 mins, 45, 60, or anywhere in between, let the pastel dust fly and when your time is up, STOP, and share your efforts with us here!

Regular sketching to a time limit sharpens your observational skills and forces you to make rapid decisions as you explore ways of using your pastels. Sketch directly from life or from a photo - it's up to you - and feel free to post as many of your sketches as you like. This thread is NOT about having to produce a masterpiece, but about getting your fingers gunky and having a go! Having said that, if you're in doubt as to how much can be achieved in an hour, take a look at last week's thread and be inspired by Preston's SUPERB contribution! Practice really does make perfect.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189455

Happy pastelling! :)

Deborah Secor
05-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Wow--and last week we had so much going on in here! Doesn't anyone have a sketch to share? Hope so....

Maybe later on today I can, if I'll get off the computer for a while. :p

Deborah

E-J
05-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Deborah, thanks for bumping the thread back up. Let's hope someone comes along soon to save us from the unthinkable - a completely sketchless week! :eek: For the moment I'm busy playing with gouache underpainting :D but I hope to turn out at least one sketch in the next few days.

ArtsiePhartsie
05-26-2004, 08:42 PM
I've done a few more of my 'value studies'.....my way of relaxing these days...it's theraputic!

This is on Wallis paper, done with w&n davies grey 1-5, a black and a titanium white. 8x10

Edited to add: Stopped at 60 mins

Stoy Jones
05-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi there Artsie, this looks great, but is it possible that it is out of focus? I would love to get a better view of those breaking waves. The whole scene looks so tranquil! Titanium white?, interesting addition! Beautiful work!

Stoy

E-J
05-27-2004, 05:07 AM
Artsie, what a treat to see you here! Great value study. That water looks so solid - well, liquid :rolleyes: Just curious - will you revisit the subject in colour?

ChasCreek
05-27-2004, 06:41 AM
I kinda promise to pop something on here today or tomorrow as well, busy busy week this week I'm afraid. All work and no play! Also working straight through the weekend and over the bank holiday, so no pastely grubby fingers for me this weekend :crying:

Khadres
05-27-2004, 09:59 AM
I've done a few more of my 'value studies'.....my way of relaxing these days...it's theraputic!

This is on Wallis paper, done with w&n davies grey 1-5, a black and a titanium white. 8x10

Edited to add: Stopped at 60 mins

Wonderful study! I've done some of these and they ALWAYS pay off. Not only do I have a chance to think through the value tones involved but it's a great way to work out composition problems, as well.

Good to see ya working again, and it IS therapeutic...I can certainly vouch for that! Great work!

pampe
05-27-2004, 06:06 PM
slow week, I see

well I got a small plein air done (4 x 4)

15 minutes with pastel pencils on dark green paper in a new Fabriano journal

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2004/4054-garden.jpg

ArtsiePhartsie
05-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the comments Stoy, EJ and Sooz.....

Stoy, somehow I ended up with this wonky, blurry photo....and the little study sold before I could take another shot. I won't complain....it's so cool to sell my art!

EJ... I always intend to go back to revisit with colour, but never seem to get around to it...always end up finding other beautiful things to paint, especially this time of year. It feels so good to get outside after a long Canadian winter!

Sooz...yep, this has been the BEST therapy for me. I've tried several different 'grief' therapies and painting is by FAR the most helpful for me. ( and doesn't cost me 75 bucks an hour)

It's good to be back....taking baby steps here, one foot in front of the other. Life goes on and I LOVE life.

Peace Everyone!

~Artsie

EdK
05-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone. Well I was able to scrounge up a little time and went to the local creek. This study took me ~ 50 minutes. It was done on brown Canson (Oh no!) smooth side. 7"x10"

Deborah Secor
05-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Ed--this is wonderful!! I love how you achieved the look of rocks underwater, but those in the sunlight are particularly smashing. Nice colors. I like the composition, too. I think Canson must agree with you--lucky you. (It hates me.)

Deborah

ArtsiePhartsie
05-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Ed, your rocks and water are wonderful! :clap: I have a photo of rocks around here somewhere....you've inspired me...I may even try out some canson .

~Artsie

EdK
05-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks Deborah, Artsie. I had fun doing this. I'll have to try and make time for next week's. Artsie - I loved your water. The use of the grays and whites almost make it look like a moonlit scene. And you sold it to boot! :D Well done.

Deborah Secor
05-29-2004, 12:36 AM
slow week, I see

Oh Pam! How did I miss this one? I love the light in it. Such friendly colors too. Golly, 15 minutes seems really fast, even to me. Neat one!

Deborah

ArtsiePhartsie
05-29-2004, 07:09 AM
This is sooooo pretty! How do you manage to work so fast? I have to learn how to do that. Any hints will be much appreciated.

~Artsie

slow week, I see

E-J
05-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Ed - a gorgeous study for any length of time, but especially so for just 50 mins! I can see a lot of the surface colour showing through - you've made a few marks say so much.

Pam, how are you enjoying your Fabriano journal? I've got one and find the paper good for sketching but the binding isn't ideal for working with pastels - I can never quite get the page to open wide enough.

Khadres
05-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Ed - a gorgeous study for any length of time, but especially so for just 50 mins! I can see a lot of the surface colour showing through - you've made a few marks say so much.

Pam, how are you enjoying your Fabriano journal? I've got one and find the paper good for sketching but the binding isn't ideal for working with pastels - I can never quite get the page to open wide enough.

I've often wondered how anyone gets much good out of those tightly bound little sketch books....even for sketches, unless they're just little doodly type things. One wonders why they don't put out the same sort of thing...small, nice covers...but with spiral pages or even small little rings or something so one can open them flat. It's nice to have an attractive sketch book, but i've got several of the bound ones around that I never use except for notes. I had one with nice soft covers that opened flat despite being bound, but the problem with that one was that the pages eventually began to separate from the binding entirely...and the covers bowed/curled as soon as I took it out of its shrink wrap.

Hmmmm...How about a nicely plastic spiralled sketchbook with leather covers and filled with Wallis? Now, I could live with that!

Khadres
05-29-2004, 11:13 AM
slow week, I see

Sunny little painting! Gives the impression of a warm, not quite hot, spring afternoon. Nice!

Khadres
05-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Sooz...yep, this has been the BEST therapy for me. I've tried several different 'grief' therapies and painting is by FAR the most helpful for me. ( and doesn't cost me 75 bucks an hour)

It's good to be back....taking baby steps here, one foot in front of the other. Life goes on and I LOVE life.

Peace Everyone!

~Artsie

So glad to know you're finding your way, and you're so right...art can get us through a lot of tough times. I know it's been a really good thing for me over recent months. I think that's partly true, at least, because it allows us to indulge our right brain and lets our souls rest awhile.

This is probably way off topic, but they just had an art show here in town of artwork (all kinds) done by Alzheimer's patients! It was amazing how wonderful the entries were! Some of the patients can no longer recognize their own families, but they can apparently still relate to the world around them through pencil and paint. Most had never done any art at all throughout their lives, but they took to the classes given at the senior center like ducks to water. One lady said her sister had gone from constantly wandering off and getting lost, throwing tantrums, refusing to eat, etc. to jumping out of bed each morning eager to finish her breakfast and go into the den where her crayons and sketchpads are kept. She's apparently put on weight and even seems to recognize various members of the family from time to time. Just goes to show, we're very privileged to enjoy something that healing to the spirit. I'm also a great fan of right brain activities...I think the world we live in today has wayyyyyy too much left-brain control over us with too much pressure day in and day out. We NEED to give our psyches a break now and then!

E-J
05-29-2004, 01:33 PM
I was excited this morning about buying lilies to paint ... had a whole day's painting planned ... but couldn't find any that were open. I sat these in my studio, fed and watered them and talked to them nicely but they steadfastly refused to open!! Tried glaring at them - that didn't work either. So I did just a sketch for today, and hopefully they'll co-operate with me tomorrow ...

12x16" on Canson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2004/13865-29may04.jpg

Deborah Secor
05-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Um, E-J, I hope when they open they live up to this great little painting! Good grief! Whaddaya need open ones for if you can do this with closed ones? :p On Canson too!? Double: :p

:) Deborah

pampe
05-29-2004, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=E-J
Pam, how are you enjoying your Fabriano journal? I've got one and find the paper good for sketching but the binding isn't ideal for working with pastels - I can never quite get the page to open wide enough.[/QUOTE]

I love the colors, but I agree...tough to hold open....was ok for a short one with pencils...I'm thinking it would be good for CP work (which I do not do :rolleyes: )

But I love the colors and feel of it.

thanks, khadres

Deborah...have you tried the spiral loose leaf with the glassine covered pages? I love mine..you could cut your Wallis to fit into it..think I got it at FINEART

DGrau
05-29-2004, 06:02 PM
I've often wondered how anyone gets much good out of those tightly bound little sketch books....even for sketches, unless they're just little doodly type things. One wonders why they don't put out the same sort of thing...small, nice covers...but with spiral pages or even small little rings or something so one can open them flat. It's nice to have an attractive sketch book, but i've got several of the bound ones around that I never use except for notes. I had one with nice soft covers that opened flat despite being bound, but the problem with that one was that the pages eventually began to separate from the binding entirely...and the covers bowed/curled as soon as I took it out of its shrink wrap.

Hmmmm...How about a nicely plastic spiralled sketchbook with leather covers and filled with Wallis? Now, I could live with that!

www.dakotapastels.com ~ sells 3 ring binder with choice of various papers and glassiene, but I would presume you could buy a normal one and cut and punch your own holes in whatever you wish, for less. This woukld enable you to open it up and lay flat.
David

pampe
05-29-2004, 07:23 PM
yup...THAT's THE ONE (http://www.dakotapastels.com/special_sale.shtml) I have

BUILD YOUR OWN TRAVEL SKETCHBOOK!
NEW! DAKOTA KOOOL BIND SYSTEM

The ultimate system for pastel artists on the go that lets you choose the papers you want in your book! We use the Komtrak ‘KOOOL BIND’ three ring system that allows easy insertion and removal of papers. The ring system also has the capability of turning the pages a full 360 degrees. Dakota Pastel Koool Binders are available in two sizes, both bound on the 11” dimension. The ring system will hold 20-25 sheets of paper along with the glassine interleaving. Colourfix and Glassine are in 12 sheet packs. All other papers are in 10 sheet packs.

NIce idea actually

Khadres
05-30-2004, 01:05 AM
yup...THAT's THE ONE (http://www.dakotapastels.com/special_sale.shtml) I have

BUILD YOUR OWN TRAVEL SKETCHBOOK!
NEW! DAKOTA KOOOL BIND SYSTEM

The ultimate system for pastel artists on the go that lets you choose the papers you want in your book! We use the Komtrak ‘KOOOL BIND’ three ring system that allows easy insertion and removal of papers. The ring system also has the capability of turning the pages a full 360 degrees. Dakota Pastel Koool Binders are available in two sizes, both bound on the 11” dimension. The ring system will hold 20-25 sheets of paper along with the glassine interleaving. Colourfix and Glassine are in 12 sheet packs. All other papers are in 10 sheet packs.

NIce idea actually

Actually, I've got the large size of that one...just wish there was something similar but smaller....I suppose one could fashion one's own with smaller rings and papers...the cover would be the problem more than anything. Would like something in the range of 5X7 or 6X9 at most.

E-J
05-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Um, E-J, I hope when they open they live up to this great little painting! Good grief! Whaddaya need open ones for if you can do this with closed ones? :p On Canson too!? Double: :p Deborah

Deborah, thank you! I'll admit I had this idea that closed lilies weren't really a legitimate subject ... but your comment inspired me to try a more considered version of them before they open up, which I'm now a happy 2 hours into! :)

Deborah Secor
05-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Okay, E-J, I'm sitting here with my blueberry muffin and coffee, waiting to see the next one.... or two...or more!

Deborah

djstar
05-30-2004, 09:16 PM
sigh, I am so lost.
I wanted to show you the pet projects.
Not sure what I have posted so I will go in reverse order.
This is Oreo, did him Saturday.
I am painting in pastel and watercolor at a juice/pet bar every weekend. So far always on Saturday but today was a bit of a flop. Worked indoors on an oil...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2004/1730-oreoart.jpg
They he is 8x10, which I do from my own pictures... some of the local patrons have been talked into it.... on sueded mat board
Last week I started out with this Schnauzer. It is 14x11 also on suede:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2004/1730-schnauz.JPG

I was doing a bunch a couple of weeks ago of the Irish wolfhound and the basset and the rottweiler.
If you can't find them, and I definately have no idea where they went, I will load them in. But this squeeks in on last saturday through this sunday... sorry
dj*

Kitty Wallis
05-30-2004, 10:13 PM
(of Pampa's drawing)...How do you manage to work so fast? I have to learn how to do that. Any hints will be much appreciated.
~Artsie

The portrait, plein air and quick sketch work I've done have made me much faster. I've had to learn to get it now or miss it forever.

When I was 18, riding the NY subway to art school, I carried a little sketch book and drew people on the subway. Most of my sketches were utter crap, but I knew that wasn't the point. Seeing and moving my hand was the point.

SweetBabyJ
05-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Two hours, but y'all know for me that's speedy. Some burgandy-ish matboard coated with pumice gel and extra marble dust (hateful stuff- hope Jerry's gets the Wallis rolls in soon) some of these, some of those. (Edited, uploader isn't working, will try attaching)

prestonsega
05-30-2004, 11:16 PM
FANNY-TASTIC!!! and you said you couldn't work that fast...JJ, this one ranks way up there.....I hate to say I told you so, but.......

Absolutely great work.....time is so linear that it has little to do with the creative process..,, now, after I preached to you, I realized I didn't do a 1 hour this week....hmmm I still have 1 hr adn 45 min....

Kitty Wallis
05-30-2004, 11:17 PM
(hateful stuff- hope Jerry's gets the Wallis rolls in soon)

Sorry to say, we have a manufacturing delay. Our rolls will be restocked by the end of July. Jerry's may have some coming from the last of our present stock, Dakota has some Professional rolls, I know.

We always have shorts and seconds in the warehouse if you need to order from me. But I know you can get a better price for firsts from Dakota.