PDA

View Full Version : Reefed

2003maryann
05-24-2004, 11:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/20472-SKETCH_ON_10_X_11_OF_REEFED.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/20472-black_and_white_thumbnail_equalization_reefed.jpg
First I did a sketch of the clouds and rain for this seacape on 8 by 11 paper in pencil. Then I drew the boat, used masking fluid to white the boat and water around it, also masking fluid to indicate where I wanted white in the clouds. Then i started painting in acrylic on a 12 by 16 watercolor paper 140 lb. I am still working on it but I wanted to show the black and white version of this work. I have to stictch together the top and bottom of the painted version. 2003maryann
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/20472-thumbnail__bottom_half_of_Reefed.jpg this is the bottom half of the picture, so far. Also I have since changed the boat and waves and will now have to rescane them. 2003maryann

BermudaArt
05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
I love this .. this is great! Very dramatic, makes me feel glad to be safe and dry at home :D

Marty C
05-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi Mary Ann,
I'll second that great! Thansk for showing the process you went through, the result so far is just wonderful, one of the best storm scenes I have seen in ages!

LisaArt
05-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Maryann, This is gorgeous. Love the colours and the movement.
A great storm atmosphere you created :clap:

1065tomh
05-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi mary ann
What a lovely painting. When I see this Im glad Im not a sailor anymore...
Really good atmosphere

Tom

2003maryann
05-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Thank you one and all for your comments. I am still not finished with this painting as yet but I will scann it as soon as I am and try to stitch the whole piece together. Lisa Art how is the dinghy coming for your dad?
Since this painting evoked comments about staying dry do you think it is to scary to buy sucha painting, should I paint more relaxed moods? Believe it or not, April and May are the months I have gone seascaping for the very first time, especially storms except for one I did a long time ago about the fathom.
That is because of the project storms in wet canvas which inspired me to try my hand at the storm I have presented. Thank you wet canvas and members the challenges you set before me have been a great learning experience. 2003maryann

sendin
05-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi Maryann,

This is really interesting and also a great work. I paint seascapes that show the sea as rough etc. and have had comments that maybe they won't sell cause they show the sea as unfriendly. Calm waters bore me. I have a hard time painting them.

I really like the second B & W image with the strong values and hope your painting ends up more like that drawing. That drawing, by itself, really impresses me. I also REALLY like your composition.

I sure do hope to see more of your seascapes and thank you for sharing this one. Denny

LisaArt
05-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi MaryAnn, I posted the painting with the dingy. Thanks so much for me letting me use your painting as a reference for this painitng for my dad.
It is in the forum called "dad's boat". Have a look, and let me know what you think. Many thanks
Lisa
PS. I like rough ocean scenes. I love all your work. :)

Alan Cross
05-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Nice work and thanks for showing the steps.....
Alan :)

2003maryann
05-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Thank you Alan, Danny and Lisa. Alan I seem to be having a problem getting my finished acrylic Reefed to take, I keep getting a red x. Lisa I love your rendition of the dinghy, your father will love it. Danny, look at projects for stormy seas to see more of my seascapes. Thank you all for your comments.
2003maryann

Alan Cross
05-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Thank you Alan, Danny and Lisa. Alan I seem to be having a problem getting my finished acrylic Reefed to take, I keep getting a red x. Lisa I love your rendition of the dinghy, your father will love it. Danny, look at projects for stormy seas to see more of my seascapes. Thank you all for your comments.
2003maryann
Check your url make sure it does not have any funny symbols in it like ??#[email protected]% stuff like that.
Alan :)

yogi
05-26-2004, 06:01 PM
I, too, adore the black and white version. The sky and ocean are so dramatic. I especially like the height of the clouds and how they monopolize the painting, much the way a storm at sea can monopolize the thoughts of those out in it. :) Cannot wait to see what you do with this.

2003maryann
05-28-2004, 10:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2004/20472-New_stitched_thumbnail_complete_painting_Reefed.jpg
here is my final painting of Reefed done in acrylic. You can see I did the boat more defined. Like to hear your comments on this. Thank you Mary Ann

Angie1973
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Mary Ann,

I adore the black and white version!!!! What a sense of adventure and danger it evokes! I love how stark the contrasts are between the whites and blacks.

My only critique of the color version is that the colors seems to be too bright to be in the middle of a storm. The ocean and sky are too blue. That is the only fault (for me) that I can find. Perhaps it's the scanner? Perhaps it's just that I saw the black and white and fell in love with it?

Angie

2003maryann
06-01-2004, 10:10 AM
I did a transalantic crossing and maybe that's why I used so much blue. I remembered when your back yard was total sky and water it can seemed all the same color sometimes. especially not seeing land for 19 days. I may try another painting or try to subdue this one with the blue. Any suggestions of what color would be more appropriate?
Thank you all for your comments. Looking forward to the suggestions on the coloring. 2003maryann

sendin
06-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi MaryAnn,

I would try blue-greys (sky) and blue/green grey (in the water) and/or just good ole grey! I think what some of us have noted is the remarkable work that you've done with the second drawing where the values were pushed to both extremes. You may not have to do that with the paiting, but with the colors that you do use, you should try to obtain something close to those same great values that are seen in the sencond drawing. Then I think that will be a dramatic painting. Thanks for asking for our input. Denny

Bobbo
06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
wonderfull

for me the 2nd sketch is the best,agree with Angie and Sendin, :)
the final painting has got sunshine colors..... :cool:
be brave with your darks,and create drama!! :D

2003maryann
06-02-2004, 10:39 AM
I think I will practice with the colors you gave me before I ventrue on the original painting to see the effects. THAND YOU FOR YOUR INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS. BEST 2003maryann :clap:

Beverly_A
06-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi Maryann :)

I love this! You really captured the power of the ocean, especially in that 2nd B/W drawing. Very dramatic.

I took the liberty of playing a bit with your painting in ps to perhaps help you visualize some changes. I tried adjusting the colors a bit to lessen the bright blueness, added some green and adjusted the contrast to push your values. I attached the adjusted image as well as a greyscale of your original painting and the adjusted one to show the differences.

I hope you don't mind me doing this. I think you will find some adjustments will bring you much closer to your initial concept.

Beautiful work! :clap:

Bev

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/33973-storm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/33973-origGS.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/33973-stormGS.jpg

Edit: Kinda confused now... comparing your original posted images to this greyscale. I had desaturated the sky a bit before changing the image to greyscale, had I not done that it would be exactly the same as your B/W drawing. Stroke for stroke. How did you do that? :confused:

Marty C
06-03-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi maryann,
Your second sketch is full of drama, the main reason being the lights are accentuated by the very dark darks. That's the effect you should be chasing when you add the colour. If you look at the work of the old Masters they used very dark darks, often over large areas of the canvas to really contrast with the light colours/values in the focal point. The result was very dramatic works with incredibly luminous focal areas (also due to layering but thats another story). If you get your colour values in tune with your second sketch you will have a very special work indeed.

2003maryann
06-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Dear Marty and BEverly,
Thank you for your responses. Bev, I like what you did to the colored version. Did you use the computer or real paints? I used the computer to enhance under equalization the black and white version of this same painting.
equalization is really amazing for the black and white. Tell me what you mixed together or did you just apply the green to the blue?
Marty Boy do I wish I could view the masters or just go to a museum. I think I miss that the most since I have been sailing in the caribbean. Also I wish I had taken all those art books I had purchased over the year( and never read) and couldn't bring with me when I left home. In the meantime I view current artists in my area and always appreciate what they have to offer.
Thanks again, I will try what Bev did to my painting, I like her values a lot.
take care 2003maryann

Beverly_A
06-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi Mary Ann :)

I adjusted your colored image in Photoshop. I increased the contrast to make your darks deeper and your lights brighter. I toned down the overall blueness of the piece by increasing the green and red. I desaturated it a bit also which is similiar to toning a color down with grey. I then removed the color from your original image and the revised image to show you the values in greyscale. It's one handy digital tool for seeing if a piece has the necessary value scale to give it life.

As far as adjusting the original piece, I would definitely tone down that blue with some green and grey and push those values!

I'm anxious to see what you do with it! :)

Bev

2003maryann
06-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Bev you did a great job and I like it a lot. I haven't done anything more as yet, but now I will try soon with the colors red and green to get the effect you did. We will be leaving for Trinidad next week if the weather is good. lately it has been weird. It is anovernighter being 84 nautical miles from Grenada. Lot of tropical waves coming through so we are waiting for the window that will be good for us. Thanks again, maryann

katz
06-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Beautiful. Such wonderful atmosphere!
I love this version and also the black and white.
Katz :clap:

ripvanblair
06-11-2004, 05:57 AM
One word Excellent!!! You've created a real storm in this one, looks very good------------well done---------Alan

2003maryann
06-11-2004, 10:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2004/20472-th_umbnail___sharpened__reefed__june.jpg
Dear Bev, here is my final version after using some red and green in the sky and the darker part of the waves. What do you think?
Thank you Alan for your comment. 2003maryann

Beverly_A
06-11-2004, 10:58 AM
I think this looks much better! :clap:

You've got a better range of values now so the piece has more depth.

Lovely :)

2003maryann
06-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks Bev:
where do you live in New Jersey? I am visiting home come July 15, my son is getting Married on August 1st. Haven't seem my three sons in 6 years so I will be exciting. They live in Bellmawr and Atco and Florida. I use to live in Stratford, near Cherry Hill, southern Camden areas.2003maryann

Beverly_A
06-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks Bev:
where do you live in New Jersey? I am visiting home come July 15, my son is getting Married on August 1st. Haven't seem my three sons in 6 years so I will be exciting. They live in Bellmawr and Atco and Florida. I use to live in Stratford, near Cherry Hill, southern Camden areas.2003maryann
Wow! Yes, I'm in southern jersey! I grew up in Moorestown and live in Collingswood now :)

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with your sons! 6 years.. my goodness you must miss them a lot!

jfsart7
06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Mary Ann-
You know the ocean!!! Good job!!
jfsart7

2003maryann
06-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Thank you Jstart, I think my movement comes from living on the water 24 hours a day. Here in Prickly Bay it is non stop. Bev I do miss my sons and am very excited about seeing them again. I will definetly enjoy myself. The good ole USA, I miss it a lot. I think I will go through culture shock for awhile but I am sure after seeing all the stores I will be feeling just fine.
take care 2003maryann

jfsart7
06-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Mary Ann-
Yes there will be a shock but you will be back on track again!!! When are you coming back to the USA again? Have a good trip when you come!!
Jaef

2003maryann
06-15-2004, 11:59 AM
July 15th, 2004 will arrive in Philadelphia, 6PM. How is it at airports now?
I am so out of touch. I did a painting of an anquished woman when I heard of 9/11. When I heard it on BBC in our boat I thought they were talking about a new movie. I was shocked to hear it was real. Our dinghy motor didn't work and we couldn't find out anything more at the time until at least two days later when we got to shore and saw it on TV. Take care 2003maryann

SilverLady
06-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Mary Ann,

I love the final painting. It is very good. It looks like a storm I can only imagine, as I have never been in one on the water. Very good.

Silverlady

2003maryann
06-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Thank you silverlady, appreciate your comments.

sunnyside44
04-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi Mary Ann
Finally able to drop back into see what is up in this forum and I opened your file
THis is what it is like out on the water and it is a great sense of the relaity and excitement of sailing in this piece. Please stay authentic. This work inspires me to paint and yes sail I love some of the stormy stuff I have experienced. Thogh being dry has its good points also. This peice works for me because it is so dynamic and there is no attept to make it candy
cane pretty or milder.
Fierce and wonderful
thanks for the inspiration!!!!!!!!!!
By the ay my name is Mary Ann also...
Sunnyside/M

Gillette
05-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Hello Mary Ann,
I love both of yours, I adore rough seas and paint quite a few as I live near the Southern Ocean. Your blue is like our blue. I have purchasers who will only buy my calm Summer seas, and others who rave over my rough seas, so paint what you like, there are always 2 schools of thought. Nice work
Jane.

Lea51
05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I have to admit that, even though it's probably not an accurate color for the storminess you're depicting, I really love that color of blue! However, that said, if you want to make it stormier, a glaze of the complement of blue over the parts you want to deepen would give you a grayer color. In fact, if you use orange in some parts and a warm red, such as cad red light, in others, you'd have colors shading from gray though gray purple.

MarciaJane
05-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow. Alot of movement in those waves, and very well done. Great dramatic sketch and painting.

lenbet
05-09-2006, 04:38 AM
May Ann My reaction to your painting is it is a storm scene and therefore shold have a darker atmosphere rather than the bright blue in the left sky area and the blue water. If you wish to change these parts there is an easy way to do it without making a permant unremovable change. First, if you have watercolors paint over the blue areas with a thin glaze of burnt sienna. Otherwise do the same thing with acrylic bs and brush it out so the bs is not obvious. This will darken and dull these area to give it a more stormy look. If you don't like it wash off the acrylic before it dries. Then you are back to your original colors with no harm done. If you like it,voila. and the whole effort should take only a few minutes. If you brush into the white areas. repaint them and you are done. YOu will notice that I always put a little BS into my work. Keeps me from taking myself too seriously. Hope this is what you are looking for. Lenbet

skywocr
05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Hello Maryanne,

Great piece of work! I'm fairly new to the Wet Canvas Community and this Fierce Ocean Painting of yours has inspired me to start sketching some of my most favorite ocean scenes myself. No less from SLR & Digital Pictures I've taken too date. I can't wait to complete my first in a long--time coming now and scan it and post here eventually if it's of worthly status as yours truly is. I have not dabbled in art of the sketching/painting mediums since my senior year in High School ions ago, so hold on and here I go:wink2:

skywocr

2003maryann
05-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Dear Skywocr:
Thank you so much. I really enjoyed doing this painting, In fact I am still doing it, over and over again until I feel I captured the colors more accurately.
I will look forward to seeing your painting. That's how I started.
Good Luck Mary Ann

2003maryann
05-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Hello, Sunnyside44, Gillette, Lea51 and lenbet:
Thank you for your interest and comments. I haven't painted anything stormy recently, but I do prefer them to just pretty calm seas. People seem to like the pretty quite seas, especially the cruisers I sail with. I recken its because they don't ever want to be in one of those storms.
I am going to try the two suggestions given by Lea 5 and lenbet in finding a not better but different color combinations. And yes Gillette, it is always better to do what you feel. When I am emotionally charged I can convey this to my paintings.
Right now I am trying paintings on Calabash. THey grow on trees, which I was allowed to pick at least six of them in Bequia. I halved them then cleaned them,(YUCK!) then tried to sand them. Sanding is hard since they are concave, round and deep. I put some gesso on the inside and started to paint designs, boat scenes, people,you name it I painted it. Plus I did the outside with paintings too. Then I varnished both outside and inside of the halved calabashes. I like doing peopel actions a lot.Men pushing carts or just walking with their crazy knitted hats that cover their locks .
Sunnyside 44 how do you sign your paintings. Do you use Mary Ann plus your last name?
I am sailing southward now. In Union Island right now, where I did a painting of
a 12 year old girl. Quite a pretty face. Thenonward to Grenada and finally to Trinidad where I will stay for the hurricane season.

Liked hearing from all of you, stay in touch. 2003Mary Ann