PDA

View Full Version : A Gaffer Tip to Share

DesertDreamer
05-24-2004, 10:53 AM
I've been playing with batch 2 of Val's Gaffer glass for the past week or so and I've learned a few things I thought I'd share.

First, almost all of the transparents are wonderfully reactive with silver. Inside, outside, have fun!!! The brown and olive green also tend to do an overall reduction if they just have a little reduction frit on the surface. Very cool to watch. Oh, and the brown seems to be striking. I made two spacers that totally lost color and never came back. I made two more, let them cool and then struck them, no problems.

I was getting frustrated with the wispy opaques....especially the orange, light blue and light blue-green. (The darker blue rocks!) I'm on a Mid-range and maybe it's just the heat, but I kept losing the color, especially with the orange. These colors don't seem to work well under the heat of initial shaping, like making the base bead. BUT if you make a small base then wrap it with the opaques, they do a lot better. I think it's that less heat is needed but that's just a guess. It seems that once the color is gone, it's gone for good. I made a bead with the pastel blue-green that came out very nice, if simple. Just a clear base, then a tight spiral wrap of the pastel and a little gentle shaping. I haven't taken a pic yet, but I'll post it later.

So, who else is playing????? Can't wait for the next batch!

donner
05-24-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm playing and buying and buying...oh how I'm buying...yikes...

Some XS lentils with the wispy opaques and Iris gold stringer decorations...

and some Clear slathered in various colored frits, again with Iris gold stringer dots...

saucy
05-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Dang Donna. Did you get all those done in-between class? :evil:

donner
05-24-2004, 10:05 PM
no, but i'm definitely workin' on stuff right now at the torch! just made a small pendant...i'm digging the silver/copper foils w/ the white enamels, all twisted...

i'll post pics of my Sunday beads on the other thread...i'm going over first thing tomorrow to pick up the rest of them!!
maybe i'll get lucky and 'accidentally' pick up some of yours first... :evil:

saucy
05-24-2004, 11:04 PM
:confused: My beads? Did you see how wonky my beads were. And that twist thing...my head is still hurting.

rightbrainbeads
05-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Wow, Donna! I LOVE those bottom two sets!!! Awesome colors!!! :D :clap: :clap:

lynne