PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Scumble - 5/24

Kathryn Wilson
05-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Good Monday Morning Everybody! This is your Weekly Scumble thread - share, discuss, chat about what is happening in your life - we've certainly gotten to know lots of people on a more personal basis through this thread. Kids, pets, relatives, activities, accomplishments, as well as the down side to life -

------------------------

Well, guys, I am off to Florida for my visit with mom - so I'll see you when I get back on 6/2. Looking forward to seeing all of your new work! This thread was extremely busy this last week - so glad everyone is enjoying it.

Our June Project is on hold until I get back - then after that I think we need to slack off for the summer, unless someone comes forward with something they feel needs to be done right away. It's up to the Forum to judge how busy they are going to be. I am looking for new Projects if anyone wants to volunteer.

It looks like the Oilies in the Oil Pastel forum are settling in very nicely - please visit and give them your encouragement! They/we are in discussions on what projects they want to handle too.

So glad to see Deborah on board - she'll be a great addition to the Pastel Forum team. :clap:

S'all for now! Have a great week!

eileenclaire
05-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Have a good visit with your mom, Kat! We'll miss you here.

Today my 11 year old goes for a tour of the middle school she'll be attending next year. She is a petite little girl, the smallest in the fifth grade. Third graders tower over her! To think of her in that school with some of the kids looking so tall and mature is a scary thought. Tonight I go to the school for a tour. Next year she'll be catching the bus at 7am. That means she'll have to get up an hour earlier than she does now. It'll be a big adjustment for her all around.

We oilies are enjoying the new forum, hope some of you softies come by to visit!

Khadres
05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Tell your mom hello for all of us here on WC!, Kat! And hurry home safely, y'hear?

Alrighty! This week is going to be for PAINTING, by golly! Today is my last day of putting in time on cleaning and sorting, etc. -- at least for awhile. I keep finding myself getting distracted and side-tracked by mundania and intend to make a real effort NOT to follow dog hairballs and smeary windows down the Barfa Stewart primrose path ANY LONGER! (It's not like it's all ever really done anyway!)

Had a friend over on the weekend who helped me shift some things in the studio so that I could put down a couple cheapo rugs to cover up the underlying light gray carpet. So now I don't have to worry about trampling vermillion or viridian hues into the floor anymore! Yay!

I've also gone through my mother's room one more time, and arranged it to not only hold her vast collection of pitchers (which I plan to use in still lifes from time to time) and sewing gear, but also act as a spare bedroom and excess art supply storage. I still feel her presence in that room, but rather than being distressing and sad as it was for so long, I'm finding it a comfort these days and maybe that's because she's happy with what I'm doing in my own life now; she was the one who encouraged me to return to art the most.

I also had a thought....since this thread is for talk other than JUST pastels, and since the busy summertime is fast pushing in the door, how bout we swap our favorite QUICK-Done recipes now and then? Meals that fix in a flash and are still tasty, SOMEwhat healthy at least, and toothsome, as well. I love make-ahead stuff/casseroles that I can freeze and dishes that exploit the summer harvest of fruits and veggies. BBQ stuff is great too! Any interest in this?

I really do want to streamline the everyday chores I have to keep up with so that I have more time to get my fingers dusty with pastels. Any tips y'all might have on how to that would be great too!

OK, I'm off to finish off the kitchen for the day, then laundry. Wish me luck!

K Taylor-Green
05-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Sooz, You sound way too cheerful for someone doing that much housework, and still catching up on laundry!! Do you have one of SBJ's hunky oarsmen helping you?! That might account for it!

meowmeow
05-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Yeah, Sooz! You sound great...and so organized! I'm impressed.
You have a good visit Kat. We'll be waiting for you.
I am spending the first part of the week organizing and getting things ready to take to Maine. I am hoping to get out of here Thursday morning...hubby will be up in the evening. He will have to go back and forth somewhat but I hope to settle in up there for the summer. That way I can relax, do a little selling on eBay, keep up with my antique group shops up there and hopefully do some good painting. Five shows this summer...I must have been nuts when I signed up for all of them! :D Plus daughter's wedding at the end of August. So...forget the relaxing part but I'd still rather be up there.
I hope everyone has a good, happy and healthy week!!!!

Sandy

SweetBabyJ
05-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Sounds like busy and productive times all the way 'round- must be a good phase of the moon.

I sold six paintings at the show this weekend- surprised the wheeeee outta me. This show is mostly crafters- skilled stuff- not crotcheted toilet paper covers in the shape of a southern belle thingies- but beautifully turned wood, handspun, woven softworks, glass painting- that kind of stuff- so I never figure folks coming in to look are stopping by to "fill that empty spot on the wall over your mother's chair...." Apparently I was wrong. Mary sold two pieces, too, so she's happy and all in all, it was a nice break after the circus atmosphere of trying to get ready for it. Tell me, are y'all still finsihing up getting ready at 9 pm the night before?!? I cannot stand being so disorganized about it.

One older couple couldn't decide between four pieces, finally settled on just one and asked if I'd be willing to paint their house portrait- ummmm- okay... where do you live? Carlyon Beach- ohhhhhh! Great! It's on the water, so that's a relief to me- 'least it won't be a forest scene... I'd have to tear my hair out, then.

Also was approached about teaching a basic drawing class in that same neighborhood- I've done it before and it's always fun to watch people learn they CAN TOO draw. There's a few interested in learning some colour-theory stuff, we'll see on that.

So, today is try and find the interior of my own house day- laundry going, thoughts of some yardwork flit through but thankfully aren't hanging around long. Sun's shining here and s'posed to be nice until- you guessed it- the weekend. Ah well, maybe I'll lay in the sun a bit this afternoon and pretend I am studying the way grass looks as it stretches away from me- "write it off" as work related....

Happy week, y'all- Be well

bogbeast
05-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Everyone is so busy!

Sandy, hope the transition to Maine goes well--sounds like your summer will be very full!

Kat, have fun in Florida--we may cross computer paths, as we are going to the Monterey Bay area June 3-7. Sweetie gets to do boring denominational meetings, I get to enjoy being ON the ocean at a swank conference center (anything that doesn't include pit toilets is swank to me, buts it IS supposed to be nice lol) with a pool just as a am allowed to get my hand wet again--so 5 more days without dishes! :evil: try my "hand" at pleain arie ocean front,be decadent...and, finally, see the Monterey Bay AQuarium!!!!!

so, I may come back with some pretty fishy artwork--or is that pretty fishies?

Sooz, you muust have THREE oarsmen, to do all that and paint too!! :D

Iget to take off my cast and have a real shower this am. so I'm excited :p I took it off yesterday, just to look--lots of purty yelow-green bruising up my arm, otherwise unexciting. Now its to take off off the dressing, and repalce the whole shebang with band-aids and the old wrist splintfor 10 days. I'm impressed--it hasn't hurt much, and rarely at the incision--mostly achy in the wrist. If I'd stop trying to use it so much, even that would probably be minimal--butone-handed typing is so slow, that extra finger makes a big diff!

We're done with fost-adopt training--now, it's just alittle more paperwork, cpr/first aid, and house prep! Ifigure we'll have the house ready togo in about 3 weeks. If nothing else comes of it, at least we'll finally have the place looking good! but if things go smoothly, we could be approved in 2 months--and then, who knows? with only a 1-bedroom, we can't get anyone older tha n 2, and they'll likely be 1 or under...at least that gives me a range that ican buy a few toys for, maybe make some clothes afte the cleaning is done. Pretty exciting :D :D :D

Hand is tired and the shower calls..Have a fine week, everyone!

Libby

meowmeow
05-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Wow!!! SBJ That is fabulous! You must be really excited...and proud.
Now get painting lady!!!!

That's great news Libby....getting a cast off sounds like a terrific relief. I hope it is everything you have hoped.
That's exciting about the foster/adoption thing. I must have missed your previous posts but it sounds wonderful. I hope it works out like you are hoping!
And you have a good time in FLorida too...expecting some excellent fishies!

bogbeast
05-24-2004, 03:23 PM
SBJ, we were typing at the same time, I guess! Congratson your success at the show :clap: :clap: :clap: and getting a clss or 2, too! I only fantasize about reaching the point in both skill and productivity to show and sell--maybe someday.

bythe way, the brownies were delish! but now, I can only enjoy them vicariously: a friend and I have challenged each other to eat nothing with sugar in it--rules out all the pastries and cookies I love to keep my weight up with! :( since I can't seem to build up my excercizing beyond the current level without the CFS becoming obnoxious, I guess I just have to eat better :p

CarlyHardy
05-24-2004, 03:24 PM
All this organized busy talk got me tired....so today is for relaxing with a cold Mike's Hard Cran-Lemonade. Ever tried one? Cool and refreshing!!

After a weekend camping out in a hotel, I need the stress release of a day off! :) and it's cloudy....not a good day for plein air :D....like I need another excuse!

Hopefully, I'll have another couple private students this summer to keep me in line with painting....and I'm looking forward to painting with Marsha some at Blue Ridge! My summer shows are up and running :) so I just have to get ready for the fall show....oh, and I must not forget slides for the Pastel Society's show!!

Okay....now I'm stressing again.....relax.....relax.....
carly

Dark_Shades
05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
wow everything is buzzing in here..... great to hear!!

ohhh congrats SBJ and Aka too on your Sales :clap: :clap: .... now come on, dont be shy, which ones did you sell...... show us, tell us ..... sounds great about the teaching ..... will you put them all in the back row lol (wish you well with that)

Sooz Im so happy for you that you are finding comfort now .... as for streamlining chores, Im currently the worlds worst at the moment... ha!, as we know I cant be bothered with anything...... But, what I have done, and intend doing again soon ;) .... is had a sort of daily schedule..... being out to work all day, 5 days a week, begrudge having to catch up on everything at the weekends, and before I know it back to the treadmill again - felt quilty then if I painted as nothing else done, but then if I worked, thats all I seemed to do.... no free time, no fun..... so I worked out a sort of plan that I would do the following for an hour or two after I came home from work...
Monday - Living Room
Tuesday - Kitchen
Wednesday - Hall, Stairs, Landing
Thursday - Bathroom
Friday - Bedrooms
Saturday - Sunday ... Washing .... Shopping
within the week everything is done, but still gives you your FREE time ..... and you feel good not only for that, but jobs are getting done..... Once a month choose an odd job to do .... may be cleaning brass or silver... clearing/cleaning cupboards.... something out of the normal weekly routine - if you can keep everything tidy on a daily basis, nothing seems so bad.... if you get it out, put it away, dont leave it till later ...... eeeee gods, listen to me ha ha ha .... I really gotta practise what I preach .... but it really does work if you give it ago ......

think it would be interesting too, to hear how others keep ontop of everything :D

SweetBabyJ
05-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks- I'm pleased, yes, but I have an awful confession: I'm just glad to get them gone. They just keep stacking up- I weed out stuff once a month or so, send pieces home with sons and pack one or two off to Mom and sibs- but still, they just keep stacking up! For the first time in WEEKS you can see the top of every flat, horizontal surface in my living room- with only three odd, "I dunno about these" peices stacked under the one couch. Plus, I'm kinda a seasonal worker- meaning I don't like to work outside the season too much- if it's summer, I don't want to paint winter stuff, and vice versa. Odd, but there it is. So it was time to get things gone.

Libby, ummmm, did you know Splenda brand sweetner is NOT sugar, but works EXACTLY like sugar in baking and cooking? Amazingly, the stuff is made of two enzymes which are not at all sweet in and of themselves, but somehow in combination, are sweet. It's one of those Atkins things- think of it- peanutbutter-chocolate chip cookies with no guilt....

cjkelly
05-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Been away for a week, and am still settling in to all the changes around here!
Looks good though, but not sure I'll be able to do much catching up.

Spent a week up in sunny, tropical Townsville looking after my sister who has just had surgery. Was very pleasantly distracted by her jewellery making ventures and her collection of very enticing beads.
Spent the first few days missing my kids like crazy, was talking to them on the phone a couple of times a day, but they seemed quite happy, hubby seemed to have everything under control. Took sis to visit the doctor one day, came home to a message on the answering machine: very loud Tom Jones music .... my sister thought it was just her recently left home kids .... but after a while we realized it was my hubby and 4yo son Ryan, dancing in the lounge-room! They were having a blast. That's when I really started to relax!

Now I'm having trouble settling back into routine. Completely missed collecting Caitlin from the bus stop yesterday :eek: :o
Apparently the bus driver tooted 4 times, and in the end he walked her across the road himself! Talk about feeling like a 'bad parent' :eek: Caitlin was quite unphased by it. Hubby thought it was hilarious, and I will be paid out for it for a long time to come I think!!

So I've had no time to do any work on the farm series for the show - entries close this week, and I only have one that's shwoing any promise. Not much of a series :( . Will just have to drag out some other stuff to enter.

And I have a dreadful toothache. Have to wait 3 weeks to get into the dentist! :mad: Might have to call them everyday till they're sick of me and get me in earlier just to be rid of me :evil: :D

Have a good week all..

cj

cjkelly
05-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Oh... and just to add to the discussion about cleaning etc. Had a bright spark of an idea yesterday, kill two birds with one stone, thinks I. I will get little Ryan to help me clean out the cupboards by playing a 'matching game' (lids with containers) - make it fun for both of us.

HAH!

The little fella gets bored after about 10 minutes and disappears. I'm on the floor on all fours, head in the cupboard with the dust-buster making great headway. I get a tap on the back and "Mummy, do you want to buy something at my shop?"
OK, I say and follow him into his sisters bedroom where he has quite a vast setup of containers packed with biscuits, apples, carrots, water and juice.

:rolleyes:

So after playing shops for a while I had to take all those nicely matched containers to the sink for washing.

My plan had backfired big time. I'd ended up with more work to do. :D
They never mention that in the books.......

cj

K Taylor-Green
05-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Great news, Julie!! :clap:

CJ, I have to laugh, reading about your little ones. My 2 yr. old grandson, Ethan, is a big "help" too. I wonder where he will be when he is old enough to really be of some help.

Libby, I knew you would do well with your hand, and yes, too much usage will make your wrist ache!! But you are moving right along.

As for me, I am having a slow Monday. I should be cleaning, but it doesn't look that bad! I should be working on my dog commission, just can't seem to get motivated. I should start digging holes for the 5 new roses my hubby, Jess, ordered.* Sigh* End of season sales at Jackson & Perkins. I love my roses, but don't even want to think of them today. I think I will take a cup of coffee outside, sit in the swing, and watch the hummingbirds. That's about as ambitious as I get today.

For everyone going on trips, go safely!

ArtsiePhartsie
05-24-2004, 05:50 PM
I've not been around in awhile but promise to post something soon. The site is looking amazing...so many great changes :clap:

Peace ~ Artsie

Kitty Wallis
05-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Sooz, I liked your recipe idea. Here's my favorite summer recipe:

Find a 4' square of good dirt in partial shade, clear the grass or weeds, etc. Plant a salad mix, tangy or mild, as you like. In a few weeks you have a never-ending supply of delicious designer lettuce you harvest with clippers. Don't cut down shorter than 2" and it keeps growing new baby leaves.

I like the mix with lettuces, arugula, mustard, and kale.

Khadres
05-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Once a month choose an odd job to do .... may be cleaning brass or silver... clearing/cleaning cupboards.... something out of the normal weekly routine - if you can keep everything tidy on a daily basis, nothing seems so bad.... if you get it out, put it away, dont leave it till later ......

Did she really and truly mention polishing BRASS & SILVER???? And cleaning CUPBOARDS????? Ok, I'm impressed! But NOT inspired, okay? :p

I do know exactly what you mean about the work work work thing. Thankfully, I don't have to do THAT any more; when I did, I never got ANYTHING creative done at all. Even the urge to do so seemed buried under the rat race routine.

When I was a whole lot younger, I managed to do it all, but those years full of endless energy are long gone. Takes me forever just to get one room up to snuff, where I used to be able to tear through the whole house in one day.

Now I do well to control PART of my enviroment most of the time. There's no way I'll ever control all of it all the time. At least I've given myself permission to do just what I can and not beat myself up too much about the rest. That
helps. I try to keep in mind, also, the fact that once I'm dead and gone, not a single soul's ever going to remember me for my spotless housekeeping anyway.

As to hunky helpers, no, not a one, but I AM still planning a tiny fire....our fire station has THE handsomest buncha firefighters ANYwhere! Trouble is I suspect they LITE more fires than they ever put out! :evil:

Congrats, SBJ and Mary on the sales! That's always such a boost to the ego and the money's just the icing on the cake!

Khadres
05-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Sooz, I liked your recipe idea. Here's my favorite summer recipe:

Find a 4' square of good dirt in partial shade, clear the grass or weeds, etc. Plant a salad mix, tangy or mild, as you like. In a few weeks you have a never-ending supply of delicious designer lettuce you harvest with clippers. Don't cut down shorter than 2" and it keeps growing new baby leaves.

I like the mix with lettuces, arugula, mustard, and kale.

Oh! That sounds yummy indeed! And we CAN get lettuce to grow here if we keep it watered enough. Tomatoes? Forget it. Still, I could get tomatoes at the farmer's markets! And cucumbers. And radishes. And green onions. And...

Khadres
05-24-2004, 06:24 PM
I've not been around in awhile but promise to post something soon. The site is looking amazing...so many great changes :clap:

Peace ~ Artsie

Good to see you here again! Yep, lotsa of spring cleanin' they've been doin' in the pastel forum; isn't it looking great????

meowmeow
05-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Garden recipe idea is great!
I liked the recipe idea too and had planned on adding one and then got distracted and forgot and...well...
Anyhow for the shower yesterday I ended up making a terrific chicken salad that was devoured rapidly...in fact I never really got to eat any of it!
I bought a rotisserie chicken and cut the meat up to bits. I threw in some toasted, slivered almond, some quartered grapes, sliced up a scallion. Mixed it all up with low fat mayo and some nonfat vanilla yogurt (about 2/3 to 1/3 I think), salt & pepper and bit of sage. Yummy!

Kathryn Day
05-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Hi to all,
Just wanted to pop in and say that I went and helped my Mother pack and we got back home yesterday. Her oxygen was delivered on time and everything is going smoothly. I have lots of work to catch up on, but just wanted to check out the site changes and say hello, that I haven't forgotten WC. Will try to check out everyone's posts for the last few days, when I have some free time.

I hope everyone's week is enjoyable!

Khadres
05-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Garden recipe idea is great!
I liked the recipe idea too and had planned on adding one and then got distracted and forgot and...well...
Anyhow for the shower yesterday I ended up making a terrific chicken salad that was devoured rapidly...in fact I never really got to eat any of it!
I bought a rotisserie chicken and cut the meat up to bits. I threw in some toasted, slivered almond, some quartered grapes, sliced up a scallion. Mixed it all up with low fat mayo and some nonfat vanilla yogurt (about 2/3 to 1/3 I think), salt & pepper and bit of sage. Yummy!

Wow, woulda never thought of that combo of tastes! Sounds like something I'll have to try for sure! Doesn't sound like it had that much fat or carbs either! Thanks for the idea!

Kitty Wallis
05-24-2004, 09:01 PM
I want to try that too.

While I was in Cape Cod, I got treated to a great salad combo to go with fish. Avocado, grapefruit and slivered almonds in a green salad with basmati vinagrette. Better than the sum of it's parts.

Pinecone Conniff
05-24-2004, 10:15 PM
...Thought I would show everyone at WC what is happening in my part of the world...I wish you could hear this as well!!... :D
Annette

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/39721-cicadas.jpg

SweetBabyJ
05-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Gotta tell you, when it's hot and I don't feel like making much of anything, we have banana splits for supper. Good ice cream, 'nanas, other fresh fruit, hot fudge AND caramel, whipped cream and chopped nuts- all the food groups- plus, it's fast, easy, cool and DELICIOUS.

Dishes are easy, too....

Deborah Secor
05-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi gang! Busy day for me. Got the new (old new, but new to us) car registered--it passed emissions 100% (yay!)--then did the doctor/blood test/pharmacy/grocery/pharmacy/ thing with my 92 YO mom, drove home in 5:00 traffic (not as bad as it could've been), cooked dinner (boy prepped everything, I stir fried it) and here I am!

Welcome back Artisie! Come play with us again...

Hi Katy, hope your mom settles in and all goes well for you. Drop in when you can...

Good grief--house cleaning? I know it's in the job description but what can I say? Usually I say, I can't do it all. So, what will it be? Write/teach/paint or clean house? Mom/kid/hubby taken care of or a clean house? I do health and safety cleaning. I don't think I've ever polished brass or silver. Sometimes I dust the glass vases hubby collected. True confession time: I can paint in a total disaster area and never mind it a bit. Not a recommendation but it's kept me painting for years. Students will say they can't paint till the dishes/vacuuming/dusting/laundry/whatever are done... and I think, why not? :o

Annette I can hear them from here! I love that sound. Love those snazzy red-eyed ones you have. Very designer looking.

cj, doncha love it when they help? Ah, but those are the good times, even though! Treasure every minute.

Mine cut the apron strings today. He now has a license, a car, and his 'freedom'--within limits. I think we need cell phones now, however. I'm looking at the positive side. I no longer have to get home in time to give him my car so he can go to work, which means more time for me to do the things I need to do, right?

Recipes? I do stir fry. Love salads too. Maggie taught me this mantra for dinner: Quick, easy, cheap and delicious. That's all I ask.

Have a grand week all!
Deborah

Khadres
05-25-2004, 01:27 AM
AY! When did I become a MINION???? er....is that like an onion, only sweeter, I hope? Wowee! And to think I was a plain old newbie a few short months ago! I'm cool NOW! :cool:

I'm with you guys on the housework, but sometimes ya just HAVE to take a time out and at least clear a path!

But I'm as done as I'm gonna get for a few days anyway. Got my pastel carry box crammed and ready to go and the "studio" straight enough that I don't knock something over with every move, so tomorrow, rise and shine, I'm going to dig through my idea files and have at it! Might only be a mini, but it'll be SOMEthing!

Oh! Almost missed the cicadas! What a symphony that must be! We don't have them here....all we get is the yearly infestation of miller moths....phew!

Also, we had a great supper, one of my all-time favorites....LEFTOVERS. :D

Khadres
05-25-2004, 01:38 AM
Hi to all,
Just wanted to pop in and say that I went and helped my Mother pack and we got back home yesterday. Her oxygen was delivered on time and everything is going smoothly. I have lots of work to catch up on, but just wanted to check out the site changes and say hello, that I haven't forgotten WC. Will try to check out everyone's posts for the last few days, when I have some free time.

I hope everyone's week is enjoyable!

I'm assuming your mum has moved in with you? Katy, you have my heartfelt admiration...lots of people just can't handle the responsibility and sheer work involved, but rest assured....you will be glad you did this. I cared for my mom the last two years of her life here in our home and altho there were many many times when I was so tired and dispirited (her health was a constant drain on us both) I thought I simply COULD not run up and down those stairs one more time, I managed to survive and was there, holding her in my arms at the end instead of at arms length in a hospital. I know I wasn't perfect as a nurse and housemaid at times, but I know I did my best and she knew how much I treasured her. If you need someone to talk to sometime, just PM me...I'll be there with plenty of moral support!

Mikki Petersen
05-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Hi all!

Katy, so glad the transition went smoothly.

SBJ and Mary! Wow! Real selling artists! I'm so impressed. SBJ, I know what you mean about the piling up part. There was once a signature line somewhere here in the forums with a quote: "It's not art until it is sold, before that it is a storage problem!" Boy do I have a lot of storage problem piling up! And yes...I used to do high end craft shows with decorative painting and 9pm the night before was just the beginning of the scramble. Every time I would swear that next time I would be more organized and prepared and each time I pulled an all-nighter the night before.

Kat, you have a great trip to Florida. We'll miss you until you return.

Libby, great news about the cast coming off. Now, just try to take it easy so you don't undo all the repairs. Enjoy your trip to Monterey. I was there two weeks ago. The aquarium is a complete fascination. Wait till you see the jellyfish exhibit. Stunning!

Sandy, I envy you spending the summer in Maine. It is so beautiful up there! The only problem with a busy summer schedule is that the time passes too quickly. Have lots of fun and good luck with your summer shows.

Sooz, I'm with you..."did she really say 'clean the brass and silver'"? I gave mine away as part of the cutting down we had to do to move to the cottage and good riddance! Otherwise, I sort of follow the same path as Dawn in that I do one chore a day (besides cooking and dishes). One day I do vacuuming, one day dusting, one day the bathroom (yeech!) and another laundry and so forth. On the other hand, I've fallen into much the same category as Deborah in that if it won't get the health dept. down on me then it's passable, and I have no problem at all in letting things slide if I want to paint.

Dawn, I fully remember the days of working full time, taking care of home and family and trying to find time for my creative pursuits. This too shall pass... the kids will grow up, the job will go away and...there still won't be enough hours in the day for everything you'd like to do :evil: !

Annette, I'm glad someone mentioned what those bugs were...I thought they were big flies. I've neve seen cicadas before although I 've certainly heard them often. Cool photo!

CJ, I got such a cute mind picture of you and your son! Good for you taking time to enjoy the spontaniety of the moment.

Okay, here is my summertime stand-by recipe. Hubby loves the stuff and if I make up a batch, I don't have to worry about cooking for about four days. It's not cheap especially but it is very refreshing and very healthy. My son-in-law is hispanic and an exscellent cook. He calls this Shrimp Cocktail, hubby calls it Shrimp Goo! In a large container, mix together 48 oz. Clamato juice, two bottles cocktail sauce, two cloves of minced garlic, two bunches of green onions, chopped; two cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped; 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped; 2 avocados, peeled seeded and chopped; 2 lbs cooked, cleaned, frozen shrimp, tails removed (I get the 2 lb bag at Costco); 1 lb. artificial crab meat, flaked; and 1 12 oz can of baby clams. Makes about a gallon. Stays fresh in frig for about five days if it lasts that long. Oh yeah, my son-in-law adds to chopped, seeded jalapeno peppers and hot sauce to taste but hubby and I are wimps!

Khadres
05-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Okay, here is my summertime stand-by recipe. Hubby loves the stuff and if I make up a batch, I don't have to worry about cooking for about four days. It's not cheap especially but it is very refreshing and very healthy. My son-in-law is hispanic and an exscellent cook. He calls this Shrimp Cocktail, hubby calls it Shrimp Goo! In a large container, mix together 48 oz. Clamato juice, two bottles cocktail sauce, two cloves of minced garlic, two bunches of green onions, chopped; two cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped; 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped; 2 avocados, peeled seeded and chopped; 2 lbs cooked, cleaned, frozen shrimp, tails removed (I get the 2 lb bag at Costco); 1 lb. artificial crab meat, flaked; and 1 12 oz can of baby clams. Makes about a gallon. Stays fresh in frig for about five days if it lasts that long. Oh yeah, my son-in-law adds to chopped, seeded jalapeno peppers and hot sauce to taste but hubby and I are wimps!

Wow, this sounds yummy! Except....I loathe avodcados! I know, I know! I can just imagine you folks out there looking at me as if I'm an idiot, but the things give me the shivers just thinkin' about 'em! Is the whole recipe a waste without the avocado in there? Hubby would love it WITH, so I will definitely keep a copy of this...sounds like it would be GREAT for a buffet or 'pot luck' dish, as well.

As for the jalapenos and hot sauce....NOW yer talkin'!

bogbeast
05-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Tell you what, sooz, I'll eat the avocadoes, and you can have the clams. they make great bait, but I haven't much other use for 'm :D

personally, I like potato salad:coupla hard eggs, those little sweet gherkin pickles, good mustard, my homemade curry powder (oops, that means you also add some cumin, celery seed, and half the other "C" spices!), maybe some lemon juice, mayo and yogurt, maybe some tarragon or something else green,maybe some dill if I think of it. Oh and potatoes! Takes a few minutes, but since I discovered nukig tje potatoes, that helps. Now if I could only nuke the eggs, I'd have it down pat.

Did I mention i don't follow recipes very well? But the same basic sauceworks for chix(add grapes and almonds, maybe mandarin oranges), and tuna(no curry!). We put curry inalmost anything--even apple crsp topping. Wanna shock people, throwin a touchof cyenne,too--surptising,but tasty!

Mikki, JELLYFISH? oh goodie! I'm looking forward to the trip--we've onlybeen on day trips around here so far,and what with adjusting, my partner's classes and em, cash flow, really haven't scratched the surface of whats available just in the bay area, let alone California as a whole. I'm still amazed to have redwoods casually growing all over town!

Katy, best wishes as your Mom settles in. It has to be a huge adjustment for both of you!

Dee, your son sounds like a real keeper, even tho I know he's easing out og the nest. Your life willbe so much easier now that he has a car--I remember alltoo well the running around--those 8 a.m. Sat. orchestra rehearsals were for the birds!

And here we are, preparing to start the whole routine over aagain LOL!

Love the cicada photo, LOVE the cicadas! Don't know if we have them here--with temps in the mid-60's, it's not warm enough for them to sing. Wait till it gets hot--I bet you'll have qutie the racket! My cousins andI used to ply with the cast off skins/shells when I was little: pretended they were buffalo, made little corrals for them out of twigs and grass in the front yard :angel:

Really, polishing SILVER? Now, that's organized housekeeping! I'm doing well just to shovel ouT the fur and water the plants once a week! Iguess thats why we have to do MAJOR housecleaning before we do the homestudy--between the doggie noseprints on the windows, the kitten tracks up the screen, and who knows what the cats have hidden under the furniture? Once we have a kid, tho, the picture changes: with a social worker visiting EVERY WEEK, this place will have to stay clean and organized!

And, I just can't do much 2-handed yet--discovered that twisting my newly freed wrist can be a regrettable experience yesterday :( so i'm doubly protective of it again, even with the regular wrist splint on. Thankfully, my partner is a peach, doesn't expect me to do anything--I'm even relieved of my share of catbox duty! :D let alone cooking--but I'm getting bored--shouldn't even be on the computer much. So, I'm lurking around, but trying not to comment much--had to do my morning gossip, tho :p

I am ready to drive some again, so I'm going to hit the thrift stores in town today, and look for baby things! What fun! since any kid we get will probably be one year or younger, but not quite newborn, it gives a range for sizes and toys--hard to believe that we could have our end of the paperwork, etc,done in 3-4 weeks, and be licensed in early July if they can shcedule the homestudy quickly! Instant baby :clap: And is my partner in for a shock--Instant motherhood!!!

hope things are going well for everyone else--my life is pretty easy compared to the challenges and time committments/demands that a lot of you face!

Libby

bogbeast
05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Sorry, folks, my typing seems to have a cold ib da fingbrs--blame it on the wrist! :evil:

Mikki Petersen
05-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Wow, this sounds yummy! Except....I loathe avodcados! I know, I know! I can just imagine you folks out there looking at me as if I'm an idiot, but the things give me the shivers just thinkin' about 'em! Is the whole recipe a waste without the avocado in there? Hubby would love it WITH, so I will definitely keep a copy of this...sounds like it would be GREAT for a buffet or 'pot luck' dish, as well.

As for the jalapenos and hot sauce....NOW yer talkin'!

Sooz, this recipe is infinitely adjustable. If you don't like avocados, leave them out...I'm allergic to them. I added some chopped up radishes to my last batch and hubby thought that was a great addition. It would be a great potluck dish. That's when Dave, my son-in-law, makes the stuff, as an appetizer for big get togethers. He serves it with tortilla chips to scoop the stuff up but my hubby eats it with a spoon by the bowl like a cold soup. Oh, and Dave also chops up a bunch of fresh cilantro into it but I hate even the smell of cilantro.

meowmeow
05-25-2004, 05:00 PM
These recipes are making me hungry...that seafood tomato concoction sounds terrific. Sort of like gazpacho with seafood. I'll have to try it.
Anyhow, I just picked up the photos I took at the shower on Sunday....thought I'd show a couple...my sister in law got the cake and it was soooo gorgeous! And my daughter and her fiancee look soooo happy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2004/15050-cake.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2004/15050-heidi_and_brad.jpg

Deborah Secor
05-25-2004, 05:08 PM
AW, they do look happy, Sandy! And that cake looks great--those must be real flowers! Thanks for sharing.

Mikki--high five. I cannot abide cilantro! What is it with that stuff? They put it in everything these days! Ick!!! My hubby can't stand avocados either, Sooz. He says it's the texture. Are we all just picky eaters? :cool: (incognito)

Deborah

meowmeow
05-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks Deborah....actually they are all frosting! This person is an artist! :D
Weird...I have been looking at the picture on the screen and there is something greyish on the left side there...I couldn't figure it out...then I looked at the photograph. Doh! It was pastel all over the photo from scanning my paintings! :D
At least it didn't get on the real cake! :D

Mikki Petersen
05-26-2004, 04:46 AM
Deborah, that must be difficult not liking cilantro and living in New Mexico. It's tough enough here in CA where every third eatery is Mexican style cuisine. They're even putting the stuff in chinese food now!

Sandy, that cake is lovely and the flowers are very very good. Your daughter and her fiance look like they are just beaming! That's so nice to see.

Mikki Petersen
05-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Oh yeah...the strangest thing happened tonight. An old friend and former boss called me tonight and wanted to know if he could commission two group portraits from me in a very large size. I laughed and said I'm not a portrait artist. He said he'd seen the portraits on my website and really liked them...imagine that? His son is just putting the finishing touches on a home he built completely by himself with all kinds of custom touches, special tile work, etc and my friend wants to give him a family portrait for a house warming gift. He's sending me a large variety of photos and wants me to create a portrait that is not a photograph (?) in pastels and it needs to be quite large because the house is emmense, I guess. Dawn, Sophie, Sue, Barb and all you other portrait people...I'm going to need help with this one. In fact, I told my friend tht if I couldn't do something satisfactory, I knew several very good portrait artists who might take on the commissions. Why portraits, I ask you? I offered to do a house portrait but my friend wants his son, daughter-in-law and grandbaby. Then later, he wants the same thing for his daughter and her family as a Christmas gift. Funny, I used to teach arts and crafts classes for children many, many moons ago and both his kids were in my classes. He thinks it would mean a lot to them to have portraits done by me...and he wants to PAY me?????

K Taylor-Green
05-26-2004, 05:15 AM
Mikki, You go girl!! :clap: And don't you dare turn it down. If the ref photos are even half way decent, you'll do a wonderful job.

Sandy, Beautiful cake for a very happy looking couple. I laughed when you mentioned the wedding date. My Megan got married last Aug. 23! We're connected!!

I can't think of any special recipes at the moment, I don't cook much anymore. Hubby works nights, so for me, it's something quick & easy.

Deborah Secor
05-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Is anybody scumbling along today??? Hmmm??

I'm hoping to get to the easel, have a class to plan and must work on the meeting topic for our arts ministry tomorrow night. Writing takes precedence today, however...

What're you all up to?

Deborah

guilliame
05-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi,this just might interest anyone in the uk,this is what i brought today,box size 12x7 3/4 inches,the set includes,
12 soft pastel sticks 5 brown shades 5 grey shades 1 white 1 black.
8 leads Sanquine oil,sanquine dry,sepia light,sepia dark,carbon hard,carbon soft,charcoal hard,white skwtching hard.
6 pastel pencils 3 brown shades,3 grey shades.
3 square sketch sticks,narrow graphite stick 4b,broad graphite stick 6b,broad carbon stick.
2 charcoal pencils medium,soft.
2 pure graphite sticks 6b,9b.
2 compressed charcoal,medium,soft.
1 water soluble graphite pencil soft.
1 white sketching pencil soft.
1 kneadable eraser
1 jumbo lead holder.
I'm a sucker for half price deals,paid 12.50 instead of 25 at WHSmith's,see attached pic :D

Dyin
05-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Mikki, that's wonderful! You can do it and you have all of us here and people in the portrait forum to call on if you need to. But I think you'll do a wonderful job...what a wonderful vote of confidence for your work!!!

Way cool Guilli! Don't you want to/dread to use them the first time? So pretty all in their box!

I'm puttering today, a few touches to my painting, good brushing for Boots, even read the morning paper before day's end! I get to go visit my only friend in Idaho tomorrow, she lives about 100 miles away. So I'm pretty excited about that. :clap:

Mikki Petersen
05-26-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks Kate and Sue for your vote of confidence. Now I have to wait and see what kind of ref photos he sends me. But it was a kick to be remembered for the quality of my work. Funny thing, he was struck most by the watercolor painting I did of myself at 4 yrs old by a river but he wants pastel portraits...that's a good thing because I'm much more comfortable with pastels.

Deborah, you are such a busy lady...I'm surprised you ever get to paint.

Guilly, looks like you found a pretty good deal there. Enjoy!

Sue, how nice for you to get to visit your friend tomorrow. Sometimes it's hard being so isolated from everyone, isn't it? Everyone I know is 1.5 hours away at least and a long distance phone call.

We have been summerizing around here all day. Cleaning up the porch, the BBQ, the porch furniture, etc. The weather is so lovely...temps in the 70's, light summer breeze. I'm having trouble with racoons marauding and feasting on my fish in my fish pond. Anyone know any practical solutions?

Think I'm going to practice some portraits this week....

cjkelly
05-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Mikki, what great news for you! I think you will do well, and it will be great if you can share your progress/experience (if you want to, that is :) )

Haven't been able to do any painting so far this week, but sent the entry form in today for the art show next month. Just two paintings, but I guess that's better than nothing. I made sure I used standard size paper for the paintings so that I can re-use the frames if they don't sell.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow at the easel.....

Overcast and breezy today - supposed to be getting quite cold tonight, maybe frosts by the week-end. Love it! :D

Can't help with the racoon problem Mikki, don't have those little fellas here, but I know of some folks who put wire mesh over their ponds to stop the kookaburra's stealing fish.....good luck.

I bought hubby a pasta machine (so he can be doing something useful with the kids on a Saturday afternoon while listening to the footy on the radio :D )and wonder if anyone has a recipe (or two) for fresh pasta, he's interested in making flavoured pasta like pumpkin, and herb/spinach types. Also fillings for ravioli.....

cj

Kitty Wallis
05-27-2004, 01:20 AM
...I'm going to need help with this one. In fact, I told my friend tht if I couldn't do something satisfactory, I knew several very good portrait artists who might take on the commissions.
He thinks it would mean a lot to them to have portraits done by me...and he wants to PAY me?????

Mikki, I'll definitely help. I've done portraits since I was 18, 48 years.

I like your attitude, telling your clients they can find another artist if they don't like it. In fact, you'll help them.

I soon learned to take the pressure completely off myself and my client by making the condition that they don't pay for it unless they like it. Also, If they want to fix it I always start over. Fixing a portrait for a client is a downhill spiral, usually ending in a piece I'm not proud of. Then we're both invested in it and they have to buy it.

These two policies have kept my portrait work fun and successful. I hated the thought of anyone with a portrait of mine they didn't like, in a closet, taking it out and telling the story to friends and relatives.

The worst result in my entire painting career was when I was 18, from a client that didn't like my sidewalk pastel portrait of her daughter. She brought it back to me about a month later with the mouth 'corrected' with lipstick. What a mess. I abandoned her and the portrait on the spot. But the image remains sharp in my mind. Probably the one that made me institute my above policies eventually

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2004, 02:27 AM
Oh no, Kitty! That's hysterical...the woman with her lipstick! I'm sure it wasn't at the time, but talk about horror stories! Fortunately, this client is male and does not wear lipstick. What worries me is he has said over an over he doesn't want a photograph, he wants art? I'm not sure what he means...he has one of those creative minds with no creative outlets except to make me crazy over the years! I'm thinking he would really like one of yours or Barb Noonan's portraits...kinda loose and painterly. I'm still struggling to get my landscapes painterly so I don't know what will happen with a portrait! Thanks for your offer of help...I'm certain to need it. It's still exciting that someone has that much faith in my talent. Do I need a portrait set of pastels? I have over 300 pastels with a landscape focus but there are lots of rosy, peachy, tan kinds of colors in the collection. Guess I won't know until I try it.

meowmeow
05-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Oh Mikki! I can understand your concerns...but if they have seen your work they must have some idea what they are asking. And there are terrific people here to help you through. Give it a try...and try not to worry so much. But I bet I would worry too!
Have fun Sue! It is always good to visit old friends!
I can't believe that about your portrait, Kitty! Lipstick!!! Some people just don't get it and probably never will.

Lisa Olivarez
05-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Just wanted to share my morning with you all.[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2004/41640-DSCF0032.JPG
Lisa

Khadres
05-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Just wanted to share my morning with you all.[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2004/41640-DSCF0032.JPG
Lisa

Lovely, but PLEASE tell me this is the photo, not the finished painting! It's too beautiful! Gorgeous light and shadows! Yum!

Khadres
05-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Oh no, Kitty! That's hysterical...the woman with her lipstick! I'm sure it wasn't at the time, but talk about horror stories! Fortunately, this client is male and does not wear lipstick. What worries me is he has said over an over he doesn't want a photograph, he wants art? I'm not sure what he means...he has one of those creative minds with no creative outlets except to make me crazy over the years! I'm thinking he would really like one of yours or Barb Noonan's portraits...kinda loose and painterly. I'm still struggling to get my landscapes painterly so I don't know what will happen with a portrait! Thanks for your offer of help...I'm certain to need it. It's still exciting that someone has that much faith in my talent. Do I need a portrait set of pastels? I have over 300 pastels with a landscape focus but there are lots of rosy, peachy, tan kinds of colors in the collection. Guess I won't know until I try it.

By all means, I'd use what you have! I was given a couple different brand sets of portrait colors and I must say....they must have been created for Martians or some other arcane species, definitely NOT for any human I've ever seen! If you want to pull out some colors from your collection, just use one of Barb's or Kitty's portraits as a guide...that should guarantee portraits that sparkle rather than muddy Martian folks.

Congrats on the commission and best of luck! You can do this!

Khadres
05-27-2004, 10:15 AM
AW, they do look happy, Sandy! And that cake looks great--those must be real flowers! Thanks for sharing.

Mikki--high five. I cannot abide cilantro! What is it with that stuff? They put it in everything these days! Ick!!! My hubby can't stand avocados either, Sooz. He says it's the texture. Are we all just picky eaters? :cool: (incognito)

Deborah

At least part of my abhorrence of avocados stems from childhood memories of living in So. Calif. and having hateful little boys pelt us with ripe avocados from the billions of trees there. When they're ripe they squish when they hit you and you get the bruise of the pit! Not to mention making your mother really mad about the stains!

And yes, the sorta greasy texture.....ooooo, shudder! Kinda like recycled snot. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Khadres
05-27-2004, 10:17 AM
These recipes are making me hungry...that seafood tomato concoction sounds terrific. Sort of like gazpacho with seafood. I'll have to try it.
Anyhow, I just picked up the photos I took at the shower on Sunday....thought I'd show a couple...my sister in law got the cake and it was soooo gorgeous! And my daughter and her fiancee look soooo happy!

Great photos! Ah, to be that young and delirious again!

Lisa Olivarez
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Lovely, but PLEASE tell me this is the photo, not the finished painting! It's too beautiful! Gorgeous light and shadows! Yum!
LOL It's the photo, why don't you paint it for us???
Lisa

ps gotta go homeschool. Is going to the beach homeschool??? Can I possibly justify it today????

Deborah Secor
05-27-2004, 11:35 AM
LOL It's the photo, why don't you paint it for us???
Lisa

ps gotta go homeschool. Is going to the beach homeschool??? Can I possibly justify it today????

I homeschooled just long enough to be able to unequivocally say YES, the beach is homeschool. You can do science & meterology, for sure, not to mention making a painting of it! Have your kids write a paragraph, or make a collage. I could make anything school!

sooz, I used to ride my horse through the groves in Ventura, so I know. The dogs loved it--fresh avocado anytime. Those dogs were the fattest, sleekest animals I've ever seen.

Gotta go teach a class...contrast. See ya tomorrow!
Deborah

SweetBabyJ
05-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Shades of GREEN! Gorgeous shot, Lisa. I'd think geology for the beach- the crystalline qualities of sand, a bit of physics with "how does sand stick together when wet" and maybe some biology with "Why hermit crabs found at the beach should not be left overnight in the car". All good lessons.

Glad the shower went well, Sandy- and now you're ready to relax in Maine- right? Can't wait to hear how that show of the ice cream parlour goes- that's such a nice piece you did.

Congrats MIKKI! You'll do fine- truly- we all have great faith in you. Just don't let it interfere with the trip north- I'm looking forward to Chinese and Dan'l's.

I know I missed far too many people, and I'm sorry- Consider yourself given a wide grin and a laugh and maybe even an arched brow of wicked delight- and I'm gonna go try and get ready to go grocery shopping in the rain. Joy.

Be well, y'all.

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Lisa that's just a lovely photo...such beautiful spring greens!

Sooz, thanks for the info. I have looked a portrait sets and sort of felt there were a lot of superfluous colors there. glad you feel the same.

Sandy, thanks for the vote of confidence.

SBJ, no way the commission will prevent our trip. Hubby is already outfitting the trailer and we don't leave until the 6th! I'm so excited to be meeting you two.

I'm still working on this *&^%$%*& watercolor of a train. I keep asking myself why I'm doing this. Guess it's become a challenge. We are going to have showers today and full out rain tomorrow. Will be good for all the things I've planted this past week. Not to mention help out with the fire danger.

Maggie P
05-27-2004, 02:09 PM
It's amazing what you miss on WC! when you're gone even a week. I felt like I was just getting back into it after my month in the UK, then I had to leave again. Met my daughter in K.C., where I have a sister and son, and got to spend a weekend with the grandchildren. The baby is 3 months and just too cute, and her brother at nearly 3 years is great fun. But they wore me out. Home now, cleaning house, pulling the huge crop of weeds in the garden. Must start framing! Cleaned the studio instead. (That tells you how much I hate framing.)

Sounds like many people are off for various trips. Be careful out there. and if you're driving, be prepared for sticker shock at the gas pump! We drove our car instead of the motor home because of gas prices. Next weekend we go to Colorado for another family event, but it's only 200 miles away so we're taking the motor home. That way we have a place to sleep! Sister- and brother-in-law's 40the wedding anniversary, big party, 30 or so people coming for the long weekend. It's a lovely area and I plan to sneak out every day for plein air painting.

Hope y'all have a great week. It's good to be back.

Maggie P
05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Wow, this sounds yummy! Except....I loathe avodcados! I know, I know! I can just imagine you folks out there looking at me as if I'm an idiot, but the things give me the shivers just thinkin' about 'em!

I have a sister who hates avocados too. When I made guacamole, she came in, looked at it and said, "ugh! Yuck-a-moldy!" It's become a family standby joke.

E-J
05-27-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm having a good day!

Got into town in my lunch hour and discovered that the main art materials shop is starting to stock a wider variety of pastel papers: as well as Ingres and Tints, they now have Canson, La Carte and Velour! Of course I won't be happy till they've stacked the shelves full of Colourfix and Wallis, but at least this is a step in the right direction :) Then I went in search of lunch and found that Marks & Spencer's are selling a new range of low-carb egg tortilla wraps - this is hugely exciting to me as there are still very few lc products available here in the UK. I chose a Thai-style wrap and it was delicious!

A friend of mine has confirmed that she definitely wants me to do the commission we talked about a while back - a dog portrait, to be a gift for her mother. She's going to take plenty of reference photos when she visits her family this summer and we will go through them together and decide which one(s) I will work from. This will be my first commission!! I'll have several months in which to do it, which should take any pressure off. I intend to approach it Kitty-style - I won't expect my friend to pay unless/until she likes it. I have no idea about pricing, though ...

Kitty Wallis
05-27-2004, 03:30 PM
By all means, I'd use what you have! I was given a couple different brand sets of portrait colors and I must say....they must have been created for Martians or some other arcane species, definitely NOT for any human I've ever seen!

Khadres is right. Do Not use so-called 'flesh tones' in a portrait. They look like 40's pancake makeup. They are either best thrown out or used to depict dead things, like clay bricks or mud puddles.

On second thought mud puddles are live. So are Martians. I assume.

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Khadres is right. Do Not use so-called 'flesh tones' in a portrait. They look like 40's pancake makeup. They are either best thrown out or used depict dead things, like clay bricks or mud puddles.

On second thought mud puddles are live. So are Martians. I assume.
Kitty, you are so funny :D . Thanks for the info though. Dead things?????

Dyin
05-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Mikki...I wrote last nite concerning your commish, but must have hit the wrong button :mad: I'm really happy for you, you'll do a wonderful job. Nice morning pic, Lisa...congrats E-J! and welcome back Maggie...I just got back from a 200 mile trip to see my closest friend, was really nice and her mom fixed a special lunch...mmmm! Gotta catch up on posts...

Khadres
05-27-2004, 09:52 PM
I have a sister who hates avocados too. When I made guacamole, she came in, looked at it and said, "ugh! Yuck-a-moldy!" It's become a family standby joke.

Good terminology! I put avocados in the same class as tofu...and the big question is WHY did either thing ever survive to plague modern menus! The grandson calls the latter "tofooey". My sentiments exactly.

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks Sue! I'm glad your visit with your friend was a happy one. I need friends with Moms...seems everyone I know considers me Mom :rolleyes: Would be so nice to have someone cook a special meal for me every once in a while.

Khadres
05-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Kitty, you are so funny :D . Thanks for the info though. Dead things?????

Well.....I was thinkin' more of stuff like....cow patties? Beetle dung? Maybe dessicated toads...or that gunk that gets built up under the can opener wheel!

Mikki Petersen
05-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Ummmm...I'm so sorry I ever mentioned avocados :eek: I stand corrected.

Khadres
05-28-2004, 02:10 AM
That's okay....at least you didn't mention the unforgiveable....EGGPLANT!!! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

A beautiful thing to paint, but do NOT taste it!

Kitty Wallis
05-28-2004, 02:31 AM
From an acupuncturist teacher: Eggplant should only be applied externally.

Tofu and eggplant are both toxic, no kidding.

cjkelly
05-28-2004, 03:23 AM
....and apple seeds contain arsenic.

Hubby used to always eat the apple core, till we found out about that. :D

cj

Khadres
05-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Well, they say potato peel with the least bit of green has arsenic too...

But YAY, knowing that tofu and eggplant are toxic makes my day! The mum-in-law has this really NASTY eggplant casserole she likes to make....wait'll I tell her! :evil:

Deborah Secor
05-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Eggplant, for external use only. Just wondering what for...? Maybe I shouldn't ask! I won't eat the stuff, though. Let's just not talk about what it reminds me of--okay?

Our family standby is "jelly junk" for the cranberry sauce--not a negative comment, just descriptive. I often can't think of the real name for it now. Funny how those things stick in families. We also have the word "swuzzle" for what a dog does when he loves you and is so excited he can't stand still, so he sort of lowers himself and wiggles up to you, begging for attention. And "road puppies" for prairie dogs--of course!

I painted yesterday and it was one of those great days when all seems to swim along nicely! I think I'll try a thread with the painting I did in it and see if I end up with two of them. That's been happening to me lately--I don't know why. I look like an egotist or an idiot, neither of which I hope applies, but what can ya do???

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
05-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Boy, am I glad I didn't post my Ratatoille recipe! Maybe recipe swapping isn't such a good idea here unless it's to swap pastel recipes :confused:

It's raining here so my newly planted flowers are getting a lovely shower. The woods around us are all misty and mysterious looking. Hubby was looking at it, admiring it while I was looking at the mist wondering how I would go about painting it...think I'm addicted?

Daughter called this morning to say her hubby hurt his back so their plans are cancelled and we don't have to go down and babysit this weekend. Then she called back to say two of the kids are vomiting...eeeekkkk! I feel really bad for them, especially her having to care for them all. But we are off to Seattle in a week and I don't need any germs, thank you very much!

So my day will be spent curled in fron t of the fire with my book, I think.

Mary Robinson
05-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Hello Everyone :)

I've been hiding in the garden and the kitchen this last week. I don't cook, normally (Mainly because people tend to die a horrible death when I cook), but Wash State seems to be good for me. I've had to retire my black thumb, had enough radishes and green onions come up that I had to run around the neighborhood to try and get rid of some of them. I replanted onions, radishes and lettuce. Within days they had popped up also. The flower beds are bursting, zinnias, cosmos, bearded irises, dahlias, glads, black hollyhocks, sunflowers, big and dwarfs, peonies, and other assorted things. I'll have to wait til the bloom to figure out what they are though, I'm old, can't remember a dang thing anymore. And I've been cooking and baking, fried chicken, italian sausage, onions and sauce and I made chocolate cake, from scratch, with sour cream frosting.

I'd reply to all the posts, but I'd end up with a post all of my own and no one but me reading it :D .

Congrats Mikki (You do beautiful work, don't see how a portrait would dare come out badly for you) and Sandy (Hope your daughter and her soon to be hubby will be very happy). Lisa beautiful shot, can't wait to see it in pastel.

Maybe I can get back to painting, now. By the way, anyone get a email from a Richard Brooks associated with ArtReps through Art-Agent.com? I thought I remember something, but for the life of me can't find it in the threads.

SBJ, I called Jerry's, they said the paper should be coming in June 5th, so the order is still a go. Our Wallis roll should be here by the 15th, I'm guessing.

Mary

Khadres
05-28-2004, 03:28 PM
You could do a lot worse! Try some of your greyed colors on the mist!

Aren't you GLAD you didn't get mixed up in the bug going round your daughter's! I'm with you; none of us need any more germs than absolutely necessary. Viruses are definitely for the young!

Well, the darned wind is picking up here again....dry dry dry and the wind just makes it worse. We're real lucky to get 10% humidity these days. Looks like another long dry summer while the country east of us gets their share and ours both! Good thing I'm not a gardening buff....I'd be so disgusted after four years in a row of this stuff.

Deb, I love the road puppies and swuzzle thing. And just this morning I looked down at my smaller poodly thing as he sat making weird noises which he does when he's got something caught in his "goozle" -- anybody else use that one? Not sure where my mom got that one, but it's supposed to mean the swallowing part of the upper throat....so we had "strep goozle", "goozle-itis" and so forth. Funny the words families make up and hand down. The kids "invented" a new meaning for the word "mummify", which meant Mom was headed to her room to change into her fave muumuu-like house dress after a hot day out shopping or whatever. Now any time someone goes to change into more comfy clothes, they've gone to "muummify".

We should make up a Pastel Underground Dialect!

cjkelly
05-31-2004, 12:19 AM
...Thought I would show everyone at WC what is happening in my part of the world...I wish you could hear this as well!!... :D
Annette

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/39721-cicadas.jpg

Just squeezing this quickly on the end of this thread (even though it's Monday here :o )

Thought you might like to know that your great cicada event has even made the news here in Oz! Sounds like you have a real plague happening over there - but they said it was only once every 17 years! Is this true??? And people eat them????!!! :eek:

cj

Khadres
05-31-2004, 03:03 AM
Just squeezing this quickly on the end of this thread (even though it's Monday here :o )

Thought you might like to know that your great cicada event has even made the news here in Oz! Sounds like you have a real plague happening over there - but they said it was only once every 17 years! Is this true??? And people eat them????!!! :eek:

cj

EAT THEM??? I hope not! But then, those people back east will try anything, you know...:D

They're not that bad except for the noise, I think. And they can even be kinda soothing when they all get warmed up and sing in chorus. We don't have 'em here, darnit...just dusty little pesky moths everywhere. Ah, well.
And yeah, apparently there are a few every year, but the BIG event is a 17 year deal...kinda like a bug's family reunion and mating season all in one.

Kitty Wallis
05-31-2004, 04:12 AM
EAT THEM??? I hope not! But then, those people back east will try anything, you know...:D

They're not that bad except for the noise, I think. And they can even be kinda soothing when they all get warmed up and sing in chorus. We don't have 'em here, darnit...just dusty little pesky moths everywhere. Ah, well.
And yeah, apparently there are a few every year, but the BIG event is a 17 year deal...kinda like a bug's family reunion and mating season all in one.

AND, as an added benefit, they prune the trees. They climb high in the trees to lay their eggs, and chew off a foot or two of branch wth the eggs in it. The branch hangs there for a day or a week then falls with the eggs to the ground. When the larva hatch they borrow into the ground and stay for, yes, 17 years.

vanityfaire
05-31-2004, 06:18 AM
Hi everyone, it sounds so busy for everyone, cleaning, showers, bugs, avocado debates etc..Here we are getting ready for graduation, prom, parties. Sooooo expensive. I had to close the Co-op, we went for 2+ years. not bad. We just couldn't keep going our customer base is low in our town. Lot of people going out of business. Two of us are going to buddy up with the Women's Bookstore. She is leasing me the back room for a studio, teaching space. There is enough wall space to show a few pictures within the store front as well. Should be ok with the new set up. Lot of work moving though. New beginnings.
Recipe: You know that traditional fruit salad that everyone makes with whipcream/coolwhip stuff. Well take and zip it up with apples and snicker bars cut into very small pieces. When people eat it its fun to watch their expressions they can't quite figure out what it is. It comes out being like caramel apples. I like to use granny smiths with it. You can just make the salad with the APPLES AND SNICKERS. ( keep the snickers very small.) Have a good week. vanity :clap:

Khadres
06-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Recipe: You know that traditional fruit salad that everyone makes with whipcream/coolwhip stuff. Well take and zip it up with apples and snicker bars cut into very small pieces. When people eat it its fun to watch their expressions they can't quite figure out what it is. It comes out being like caramel apples. I like to use granny smiths with it. You can just make the salad with the APPLES AND SNICKERS. ( keep the snickers very small.) Have a good week. vanity :clap:

Sorry to hear about your co-op; it's awfully hard to keep things like that going in bad economic times like these. Spending money on art in a small town isn't high priority with most folks...sadly. Maybe the new setup will work out for the better. Good luck with it!

That recipe sounds COOL! I can really get into snickers and granny smiths! Thanks for sharing it!