PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 22 butterfly

stonewhiteclown
05-24-2004, 06:21 AM
Thank you for images Katju!
I took butterfly because I was into experementing with watercolour underpainting on Saturday and it looked like nice shape to put and not much fuss. Actually I got myself into trouble with background when dark green paint released kind of gray mud when I worked over it with pastel stick.
I painted kids from invitaiton early on Saturday too, but they are very much like 4 hours worth and even slightly smaller in size so I didn't decided yet whether and where to post them. Too small and not that neat for regular Oil Pastel Studio forum and way too much time into for WDE :confused:

Oil pastels with w/c underpainting about 5x6"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/30926-wdebutterfly.jpg

Gonna look at everyone works across the week!

Precious Mazie
05-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Beautiful Butterfly! :clap: Water color background and pastels two areas I would like to learn. Very nice!

Deano
05-24-2004, 09:58 AM
I really like the effect here of the mixed media. The background flowers are nicely subdued. The butterfly stands out, and the flower it is perched on is very well done with it's variations of color and tone.

FriendCarol
05-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Like your butterfly very much. Vivid, and not overworked despite mixing media.

Interesting to hear that OP's 'released' color from watercolor underpainting that made mud. I would have thought OP and watercolor could not mix! Just out of curiosity, was the underpainting definitely, absolutely dry? What pigment (what color green) was the watercolor, and what pigment was the pastel stick, if you remember?

Drumbeat-trish
05-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Love the subtlety of the background plants !!!!! and that lovely butterfly really glows . Very nice pic :clap: :clap:

katju
05-24-2004, 01:57 PM
It's really pretty, Alex. I don't see any mud.

Hey, who cares if you spent 4 hours, post those kid pics!!!

Kathy

roslyn
05-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Alex -- I like the subtleties of your background, leading up to the less-muted purple of the main flower and the bold color of your butterfly. Whatever problems you had with this background, you certainly overcame them well. :clap:

Roslyn

xreader
05-24-2004, 06:03 PM
I agree the subtle greenery in the background is very nice... love your bright butterfly, too! :clap: Was it difficult to get the bright yellow over the green underpainting? :confused:

ams
05-24-2004, 07:31 PM
I like how the butterfly stands out against the background. The butterfly is where your eye goes when you see the painting.

Anne

dabblerdot
05-25-2004, 02:14 AM
I think this is a beautiful background for the subject, you have menaged very well to vary all the green colours and shapes and keep it fresh and interesting throughout. The butterfly is luminous ! I really like this painting, swclown ! :clap: ps. couldn't see any mud here- you must have corrected it very well !

stonewhiteclown
05-25-2004, 06:08 AM
Thanks a lot, Precious Mazie, Deano, Drumbeat-trish, Kathy, Roslyn, Anne, dabblerdot!
FriendCarol, I doubt it's possible to overwork on such tiny piece ;) I cannot swear it was absolutely dry, a bit of rush, you know... And it was impossible to get out hairdrier at the time. All pigments were green, I promise :) Sorry cannot put fancy names of all of them, moreover w/c are russian made. One tube was light, phtalo green, that was good, another darker, maybe more yellowish, you can see both. Latter has "filler" mentioned in content, that's it I suppose.
xreader, you've got it wrong :p I drew pencil outline of the butterfly, then blocked it with yellow w/c and rest with washes of two greens. I think it's quite powerful technique, particulary with limited pastel set. Going to try more...

SwitzerS
05-25-2004, 08:07 AM
I like it! Your butterfly is floating beautifully (like it should)- real 3-D effect.

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 08:20 AM
There's a lovely feeling of light coming through the wings Alex - nice! :clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 08:22 AM
There's a lovely feeling of light coming through the wings Alex, - nice! :)

Sorry about doubling up - we're having a little argument about whether the post posted or not!!!!!!!! Obviuosly it's working overtime! :(