PDA

View Full Version : Dad's Boat

LisaArt
05-24-2004, 04:07 AM
An oil painting I just completed for my dad's 60th birthday.
The painting is 32 x 42 cm. The man in the boat is suposed to be my dad. :)

This idea came from a lovely painting that MaryAnn posted sometime ago in this forum called "On the wind". Maryann graciously let me use her painting as a reference to do this painting for my dad's birthday. Thanks Maryann.

The photo is a bit dark. The sail had some lovely warm yellows in it, with some good light.
I would appreicatel your comments. Is there anything I could improve on. Thanks everyone.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2004/40382-dadboat.jpg

Marty C
05-24-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi Lisa,
Great birthday present, your dad is just going to love this. Not only is it something very personal from you involving lots of thought and effort, it also has probably his favourite subject in it - him! :D
Love your sky in this and the way you have used some of the sky colours in the sail area. The yellow is still a little visible on my screen. I bet it's nice IRL.
You have done a very good job on the sea, good movement and blending.
Well done.

BermudaArt
05-24-2004, 08:16 AM
I'm sure your Dad will love this Lisa. Is that the name of his boat on the stern?
You can't beat a personalized gift like this one.

imlayte
05-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi there Lisa, Here's my take. We all have paintings that could be changed or modified but, " improved is the question". Changes to a piece can make ourselves happy but what does it do for the receiver? So I went to your web site to see your other work, which by the way the designs and colors are beautiful, and found this piece fits in as is. In other words it says "Linda" already whereas some changes might put it out of bed with your existing style and would that make the receiver like it more? So I guess it's a personal choice and either way I'm sure Dad will love it. Good luck.

Howard

LisaArt
05-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks so much Marty, Chris and Howard for you very kind comments. :o
Yes Chris those are my dad's initials on the stern (the name of his boat). My father's dream is to buy a sailboat when he retires.

2003maryann
05-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Lisa I like your style and I am positive DAd will love his present very much.
I am happy that I was able to be part of your gift. He will love sailing when he retires. Regards Mary ann

LisaArt
05-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks MaryAnn! :)

Alan Cross
05-31-2004, 02:13 AM
NIce work Lisa I saw this one on your web site and I am sure he will love it!
Alan :)

LisaArt
06-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Hi Alan. Thanks for that :)

1065tomh
06-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi Lisa
What a great birthday present! In some way this painting makes me happy :D Its a beautiful painting :clap: Well done

Tanilba
06-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Hi Lisa
Your dads going to love his present. Well done
Happy Painting Glenda

LisaArt
06-11-2004, 01:33 AM
Geez, thanks so much Tom and Glenda. You've made me a happy camper, or shall i say painter...:)

ripvanblair
06-11-2004, 05:42 AM
Your Dad will love it , plenty of action in this one--------well done--------Alan