PDA

View Full Version : Coin Collector - Pastel

RonReekers
09-18-2001, 11:06 AM
I don't care much for putting people in my landscapes, so this is a little unusual for me.

http://home.socal.rr.com/reekers/Images/landscape/Pastel/350coincollecter.jpg
Coin Collector, 24" X 28", pastel on paper

jerryW
09-18-2001, 11:13 AM
fitting figures into spaces is the same as fitting the shore edge in or a life guard tower.
most of the shape is natural and part is just fitting with the rest.

Luvy
09-18-2001, 11:14 AM
I like it *S* I love people in landscapes and seascapes Kind of leaves a message for those in the future of what we wore, what we did. Paintings are kind of a social history book *S*

bobsart
09-18-2001, 01:25 PM
Nice work Ron. You've embraced three of my loves in this one piece. Art, the ocean and my other passion, metal detecting. I own two detectors.:clap:

aaasp
09-18-2001, 01:37 PM
I like it. The figure in the distance works fine. The one in the foreground may be just a little too "put in"- the vivid trousers, the white socks. A suggestion would be just to fade him a little.
Best
Anthony

RonReekers
09-19-2001, 10:44 AM
Thanks you all for your comments :D

Jerry, I agree with you that composition is all a matter of shapes and balance. I always get an uneasy feeling when placing people in my landscapes though. They take on such a greater role within the artwork than the world around them and so appear more dominant and in my case intrusive. Don't get me wrong, I love the figure, I have a whole series of drawing solely dedicated to people. It's just that the landscape is so solitary and sacred to me. I don't think I'm alone on this, am I? :confused:

Bob, Never owned a metal detector but the guy was so interesting out there by himself that I couldn't help but take a picture of him. hahaha...He probably thought I looked pretty strange out there by myself too.

Ron

"Art is essential to the healing of our social sickness, in its every phase. But if the artist loses sight of the sources of his art in supersensible experience, our world is left hungering." --GLADYS MAYER

BlossomArt
09-19-2001, 03:33 PM
I just love seascapes, and this is a really lovely one! The two figures are great; the distant one is so far away, it's almost the more interesting of the two! Beautiful!

dornberg
09-20-2001, 08:11 PM
i like the color relation