PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 22 - Journey to the Edge

adamjw
05-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Acrylic on cardboard - 2 hours
I wanted to go more impressionistic then usuall and loosen up a bit. :)
modeling paste was applied with a pallet knife for road.
I wasn’t sure if the cardboard would start curving, but it did. :(

feel free to critique!

hopefulbucky
05-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Adam, very well done. Like the mood this painting creates. Your sky is wonderful.

Deano
05-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Very nice painting. I really like those glowing fields.

lorna12
05-24-2004, 04:49 AM
That looks like a really nasty storm coming! Great sky! I like the glowing fields, too. The only nitpic I have is I find the road too white, other than that I think it's a great painting! :clap: :clap:

Try putting a couple of coats of paint on the backside of the cardboard...it should take the curl out.

Precious Mazie
05-24-2004, 09:11 AM
With all the bad weather the country is having right now this picture just fits right in! This is beautiful, I love the colors. :clap:

FriendCarol
05-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Modeling paste, huh? I can certainly see why you wanted to use a palette knife on something for that road! (For some reason it reminds me of Doug's 'Venetian plaster' on Trading Spaces -- have you seen that show?)

I like the strong color contrasts (and economical palette), as well as that road (it's so Cezanne!). Hope you resolve your 'curl' issue, or find another substance on which to apply the knife for your mixed media approach. :)

guilliame
05-24-2004, 12:43 PM
This is a very good painting and has a very stormy feel to it,great technique in the sky,i agree with lorna the road is perhaps too white,but my nitpick is the field on the left slopes away and the whole pic doesn't have a sense of balance to it or is that the curl of the board.

Drumbeat-trish
05-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I quite like the way the field appears to slope slightly gives a sense of an exciting journey . Love the sky adam well done :clap: :clap: :clap: and glad you got here :)

Chiers
05-24-2004, 01:51 PM
I have to agree about the color of the road and the lay of the land but the sky and the fields are really terrific! :clap: :clap:

katju
05-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks for joining us Adam. your sky is really awesome. A testimony to how dangerous they can actually be. We had a huge hail storm over the weekend.

Kathy

xreader
05-24-2004, 06:38 PM
A seeming different , but very dramatic take on the reference photo. I really like it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

adamjw
05-24-2004, 07:42 PM
This painting is the story of my life right now. :(

The road is very white. I don't know why I went for a plaster effect,
I guess I saw it somewhere and liked it. Not sure what Doug's 'Venetian
plaster' is though.

I don't know how to add a sense of balance to the image and I don't
know if I should. Any suggestions?

The curl isn't too bad, hopefully adding some paint to the back will
fix it. :)

Thanks for your comments.

stonewhiteclown
05-26-2004, 06:34 PM
I love it! Extremely evocative painting. A song comes to mind "... The clouds are piled in mountain-shapes, there is no escape except to go forward ..."
The sky is die for, especially love those reds! The field on the left is good also. Do you think you went enough impressionistic? :) And what's wrong with your life? Curving? ;)
Don't know in which way it's considered unballanced, maybe tilted horizon? I'd not touch it at this point, except back side :D.

SwitzerS
05-26-2004, 07:03 PM
The colors are technicolor and the clouds are supernova strong.

dabblerdot
05-27-2004, 01:33 AM
My little eyes lit up when that sky revealed itself, it's absolutely gorgeous :clap: :clap: And I like the intensity of the field colours too. imho, I find the road in its starkness, and so wide at the bottom, wants to coax my gaze out of the picture rather than into the distance beyond. Maybe if it was toned down a bit at the bottom edge it it would encourage the viewer to remain engaged. But for overall effect, I really like it !! :)

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Crikey Adam, powerful stuff here! Lovely, vigorous painting. :) :clap: :clap:

Sharrm
05-29-2004, 04:31 AM
I agree with Dot, the sky is absolutely gorgeous, and the intense colors in the fields, I like how you did them. Really like your strong colors in this :clap: Sharron