PDA

View Full Version : Coming Storm

Ottersong
05-24-2004, 12:01 AM
The greyscale on this looked pretty good but the yellow in the clouds came out pretty bright on the scanned image, it is not that bright IRL.
this is at two hours, I still need to do something with the road. Thinking about whether to do asphault, gravel or dirt, any suggestions? Watercolor on arches CP, size 6"x9 1/2". C&C welcome. Loved this weeks pix, hard to choose one, but I love doing clouds even though these are sort of overworked.

Marymc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/37889-wde__COMING_STORM_1__001.jpg

roslyn
05-24-2004, 12:09 AM
I really like the texture and colors you have in the field, and the darker tones you used in the plants that line the roadway. Yellow notwithstanding, those clouds are cool.

Roslyn

SwitzerS
05-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Love those clouds!

adamjw
05-24-2004, 12:25 AM
I really like this. I like how you have defined the forground grass with dark
strokes and left the background as a wash. Nice well defined storm clouds. It looks like a storm is building up. I like how you altered the original photograph and made it yours. The wind through the grass further suggests an oncoming storm and adds interest.

Deano
05-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi, Otter. The fields, road and distant trees are very well done. But the true star of this painting are those gorgeous cloud formations! Very, very well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

hopefulbucky
05-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Mary, AWESOME clouds :clap: :clap: Sure does set the mood for this painting. Well done!

Precious Mazie
05-24-2004, 09:41 AM
I love dirt roads but blactop are nice too. Blacktop may be too much of a contrast. This is beautiful start and I love the clouds too. :clap: Hope to see the finish!

FriendCarol
05-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Another very good treatment of one of the most popular ref photos this week! This one seems more realistic -- the additional detail makes it less like a poster. It definitely looks like a "front" is about to move through here.

P.S. Since your clouds are concentrated in the distance, how about adding some cloud shadows to that bright road? ;)

guilliame
05-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey Ottersong,i like this version a lot,especially the colours in the fields and i love the build up of clouds :clap: .but i do find the yellow just a tad disconcerting :)
As to the road the only thing i can think of is to use some scrap paper and paint in 2/3 different types of road cut them out and lay them onto your painting or use photo shop to give yourself some idea of what looks best :D .

Drumbeat-trish
05-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Been wonderful seeing everyone's different versions of clouds - these are beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xreader
05-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi ottersong..your clouds are positively glowing! :eek: to tell you the truth , I prefer the road as it is...implies stark sunlight on the road. I realize you may have already changed it. Just my humble opinion. :)

adamjw
05-24-2004, 06:36 PM
I think a lite gravel road would be nice, just to add some detail that would keep things interesting. Make sure to post the finished one. :)

Ottersong
05-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Thank all of you for your comments and suggestions, still thinking, I will post when I decide.

Marymc

katju
05-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Mary,

I almost missed this. I'm glad that I didn't. I love it! This is actually what the sky was looking like yesterday. I don't know if you've been watching the news but Nebraska took a beating with tornadoes and hail Saturday and Monday. Omaha didn't suffer any damage but the skies were looking pretty scary... I really like the way you painted the raw sienna colored grass on the sides of the road. How about adding a tiny figure halfway down the road?

Kathy

Ottersong
05-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Kathy,great idea about the figure, thanks. If the painting were bigger I would have figures running towards home.

Yes, I have been watching the weather news, really scarey. I was cought in the edge of a small tornado in Florida one time, really scarey when I found out that is what it was. Worst weather I have ever been in. I thought about making the sky that "funny " color it gets right before awful weather but figured that wouldn't make a very pleasing painting. Thanks again. And may all of the tornados stop.

Marymc

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Mary, this is really lovely, the cloud formation is good and the yellow doesn't bother me. I also like the ground.
However, may I say something about the sky - and bawl me out if you wish, for I certainly don't mean to offend at all, but does the mid-line in the clouds give you the impression - as it does me - that the far clouds are actually in front of the bigger, near clouds? - instead of behind? I think it's because the bottom of the big clouds seem to disappear behind. I'm probably not being very clear! Apologies if you don't agree! :)
As far as the road is concerned, have you thought of a muddy track? (We have umpteen muddy farm tracks here! - I'll send you one!!!!) :D

Ottersong
05-25-2004, 02:55 PM
:eek: :o :rolleyes: Thank you Maureen, you would think that I would have noticed that about the cloud line. I suppose that one would see that particular cloud formation but it would be unusual. I do like to be reasonably accurate . Yes please, I would appreciate a pix or two of muddy dirt roads. It has been many years since I lived on the ranch and have sort of forgotten what they really look like and how clouds and things reflect in them. Thanks again.

Marymc

Dyin
05-25-2004, 05:42 PM
ooooh, talk about a road that never ends....I just want to go see!!!! I think your clouds are to die for too....I'm always impressed by wc...just a beautiful scene and can't wait to see it done!

dabblerdot
05-26-2004, 04:17 AM
These incredible clouds, with their strikingly different structures, are just the way I've seen them when I have crossed the Canadian prairies. :clap: The skies go on forever, just as you have painted. Beautiful treatment of the fields and roadsides. Up here, many of the backroads remain hard packed tan/gray gravel for countless miles, and nearly all the vehicles sustain rock cracks on their windshields. This isn't to be taken as a suggestion you put in a truck with a cracked windshield however ! LOL

theIsland
05-28-2004, 02:30 PM
This is a real stunner. Gorgeous clouds, and what depth! Even though you haven't done the road, it suggests gravel on a very bright day, as someone else already said. I like the look of an unpaved roadway, because a dirt or gravel road is more personal. If you're on such a road, you're usually close to home. It's where you walk, or ride a bike, or a horse, so you're able to study the landscape as you go. Asphalt gives another vibe, one of long distances traveled at high speed, with the fields a blur. Maybe I'm just waxing nostalgic for the ranch where I grew up in California. ;)

Ottersong
05-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Norma and all, I think that a lot of us are longing for the more open spaces, especially those of us who have lived in them. Life puts us wherre it wants us not where we want to be. DARN.........Ireally feel a need for elbow room.

I think I will do it as a dirt road with water puddles reflecting the sky whan I can find some in the library.

Marymc

Sharrm
05-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Mary, AWESOME clouds :clap: :clap: Sure does set the mood for this painting. Well done!
I also really like the way you did the fields, the texture and colors, they seem to be blowing in the wind of the upcoming storm. Will keep an eye out for when you finish. :) Sharron

Ottersong
05-30-2004, 03:19 AM
Here is the finish. I couldn't find a road with puddles in the IL so figured I had better not wing it. Hope this looks like a dirt road.

MArymc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2004/37889-coming_storm_finish__001.jpg

Leslie_Ann
05-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Marymc, what can I say?This is gorgeous! The clouds are lovely, but my eyes were drawn to the warmth of the field. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dyin
05-30-2004, 11:47 AM
wow...that's really good for out of your head! Yep, looks like a dirt road that's about to be a muddy mess. The touch of the sheen in the tire tracks looks like it could be a bit wet...it looks really great! :clap:

Yokovich
05-30-2004, 12:43 PM
I vote to leave the road very light. It was light in the reference photo. I did this one too and thought briefly about putting a figure in the road--but it would lose its mystery with the addition of a figure. that's my read. this looks great otter--you must be proud of it! :clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2004, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Ottersong]Here is the finish. I couldn't find a road with puddles in the IL so figured I had better not wing it. Hope this looks like a dirt road.

QUOTE]
It certainly does, and finishes the painting beautifully Otter! :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

xreader
05-30-2004, 01:28 PM
A lovely finish! :clap: :clap: :clap:

blondiedenise
05-30-2004, 04:24 PM
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your piece! Those clouds are beautiful! You can feel very proud of this work. It's very good.

Denise