PDA

View Full Version : WDE 5/15 Toby

ams
05-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I know I'm late with this but I just finished it yesterday. I have been working on it in small snatches. My father tore some ligaments in his shoulder and we spent several evenings at the hospital. He is home now and on the mend so I was able to relax with some drawing.

This turned out better than I thought it was going to but I'm not sure I like what I did with the background. I thought I would put him in a grassy area with some sky in the background but the value contrast between the sky and his white fur wasn't really strong enough.

If anyone has some suggestions as to what I might have done instead, please feel free to comment.

Neocolor II on Stonehenge, 5 x 7.

Anne

xreader
05-23-2004, 07:13 PM
This is really very nice. :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
05-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Terrific! :clap: He looks very happy here, for a change :) Interesting texture in the grass. Maybe a bit darker sky would do? I think it's great as is, though!

roslyn
05-23-2004, 09:00 PM
:clap: to this Toby picture. My beloved little terrier died of old age a few months ago, so this is the direction I'm coming from:

The background as you have it works for me. It puts the focus on the dog (which, granted, was your plan). I like what you've done with the colors: the purples of his fur blending into the blue/purples of the sky anchor him to his background but still make him stand out. Nice terrier texture to his hair.

I wish Toby many more years of good health, but this is a picture that a dog owner would love! Perhaps you were trying to achieve something else here, but this is certainly plucking a heartstring for me.

Best regards // Roslyn

dabblerdot
05-24-2004, 02:02 AM
You've captured his mischievious terrier face just wonderfully! I think your background works well- "light against dark, dark against light" as theory has it ! You should be proud of this ! :clap:

Precious Mazie
05-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Cute dog and great eyes. :clap: to you for job well done.

FriendCarol
05-24-2004, 10:39 AM
This looks really good to me, too! I'm not sure you needed to make the sky darker; it looks as if the edges of the fur around his head already provided all the contrast you needed to frame the center, where we focus on his eyes, nose, etc.

ams
05-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the comments, they make me feel better about the background.

Anne

sundiver
05-25-2004, 07:36 AM
I think it's adorable, and don't have any problem with the background.

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Ahh! A real cute terrier - love his quirky mouth! :)

Deano
05-25-2004, 10:56 AM
You have done Toby proud. Loads of cute character here. Good job.