PDA

View Full Version : WDE 5-22 Girls at piano (just a start)

ams
05-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Well, I really challenged myself this time! I didn't get past the pencil sketch stage. It's a little hard to see but I thought I would post it anyway.

I'm not real pleased with the likeness of the girls and the hands were certainly interesting. I think this will just be a learning experience! C&C welcome.

If I decide to finish it and add the color, I'll post again.

Great pictures, thanks for hosting katju.

Anne

roslyn
05-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I like the start that you have here. Especially the wonderful position of those hands -- just like little ones playing the piano. I look forward to seeing updates.

Roslyn

xreader
05-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Very nice beginning...please take it further. It will be great. :)

stonewhiteclown
05-23-2004, 07:47 PM
It's a perfect start, I think! I very much like their faces regardless of likeness :clap:
Maybe if you would not do colours, then graphite is an option?

FriendCarol
05-23-2004, 08:11 PM
They're so cute, and you sketched them with eyes wide open (theirs as well as yours, that is)! I didn't dare change that, was sure I'd get it wrong if I tried. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :clap:

SwitzerS
05-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Yes, yes, those hands are really worth finishing..

Deano
05-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Wow. Love that sketch. You've expressed so much with just a few lines. great work.

cmwynn
05-23-2004, 11:21 PM
This one was so popular, and rightly so with those darling girls, but even more challenging. But you did it well. That is a fine start.
Connie

dabblerdot
05-24-2004, 02:45 AM
In these few lines you have absolutely captured the whole feeling of the original photo ! The close crop really works, and the features of their little faces are wonderful ! :clap: This is SSOOOO worth taking further, I really hope you do decide to carry on, I'll watch for your post :) :)

Leslie_Ann
05-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Hi ams. I agree with the other members. :) You should take this further! It's a fantastic start.

Precious Mazie
05-24-2004, 09:31 AM
I like the start you have made here too. :clap: Hands and faces two really hard things to draw and you have a great start on both! :clap:

guilliame
05-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey ams,this is a really nice drawing,love the expression on the girls face far right looking over already,i hope you will progress with this,you have done the 2 hrs for the wde so now you can take your time,next week,next month :D
B.T.W.my pencil sketches show up light so i always enhance mine before posting.

Drumbeat-trish
05-24-2004, 01:47 PM
great start on this challenge :) I hope you do take it further -the hardest part is done now ;)

ams
05-24-2004, 07:49 PM
With all of this encouragement, it looks as if I will have to finish this. :)

Thanks for all of your comments. I'll post again when it is finished.

stonewhiteclown: I thought about graphite. I have done quite a few graphite portraits but since WDEs are a good place to stretch, I'm going to try some color.

guilliame: I did try to enhance it but this was all that my software would do. It actually is quite a bit better than the original scan.

Anne

sundiver
05-24-2004, 08:03 PM
This is very charming. I agree with the others that you ought to continue with it!

Yokovich
05-24-2004, 11:10 PM
great draftmanship ams!! the hands especially---really nice!! this whole thing reminds me of what my art teacher admired in a drawing--what he called "economy of line"---beautiful!! :)

katju
05-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Nice crop, Anne. I think you should definitely go for the color!!!

Kathy

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Nice start - economical and good. I really like that arm and hand on the foremost girl - excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap:
If it's any help, I found last week (with my pencil drawing) that scanning in colour, rather than lineart or greyscale, gave better definition - but you've probably already done this!!!!!!

Dyin
05-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Oh, i'm so glad to see you'll do more on this...it's a really nice start so I'm pulling up a chair with everyone else..can't wait!

ams
05-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Charlie'sMum: Yes, I did try the color. I thought that might work better as well but it didn't. I think the sketch was simply too light to scan well. I purposely didn't have it dark so none of the lines show through when I finished.

Thanks all for the comments despite the light scan. :)

Anne