PDA

View Full Version : WDEMay22,'04 Piano duet 'out of tune'

dabblerdot
05-23-2004, 04:10 PM
You'd think I'd recognize when I should just do a good-start-to-be-finished-later :rolleyes: , but no, I plunge into the deep end and end up "all wet". I am trying to learn to do children now, and it appears I can only improve ! :D :D These dear little girls, with their charming faces and beautiful arm contours captivated me, so I had to try. This is 2 hrs wc on Arches 1/4 sheet. Another one to put in the "Learn from this" file ! One of my favourite parts, the form of the littlest girl's left wrist, isn't to be seen here. Maybe next time ! Thank goodness there are so many 'next times' !! :) :)

hopefulbucky
05-23-2004, 04:16 PM
dabbler, I like what you did. Particularly the little girl (smaller one) behind. She has such an impish look on her face. LOL I know how you feel about children. I want to learn people as well, was fairly pleased with what I did until I saw Guilliame's. Whoa, his is really awesome, so back to the painting board for me.

I like your idea of "learning pile" rather than "trashbin" :rolleyes:

P.S. Very big congrats grandma. What a neat excuse for last week.

roslyn
05-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Dabbler -- I remember looking at this ref photo for quite a while, noticing the hands and arms (especially the foreshortening in the front girl's right arm) and being fascinated by the position of those hands. You did a very nice job of this! I like the colors you've used here, especially on the background girl's face.

Roslyn

Chiers
05-23-2004, 04:27 PM
I think you have done a great job on these two little girls. The faces are great.

Deano
05-23-2004, 04:35 PM
"You are your own worst critic." We've heard this phrase over and over again...and how true it is. I really like what you've done here, Dabblerdot. The children's faces are rendered softly and sensitivley...flesh tones are right on...the front girl's right hand is awesome. Very successful, I'd say. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ams
05-23-2004, 05:00 PM
You got a lot farther than I did! I didn't get past the pencil sketch.

I like the way you modeled the girl's faces, especially the one in the back. They have a nice, young look.

Nice job.

Anne

stonewhiteclown
05-23-2004, 07:47 PM
I love everything about this! Great movement, nice colours! :clap: I almost hear them singing 'la-la-la' to their errr music? :D Fun title, btw :)

FriendCarol
05-23-2004, 08:25 PM
It's great -- amazingly so for 2 hours' work! This pair was apparently irresistable for quite a few of us (but I knew I would get nowhere in 2 hours, so I used tracing paper). You've done a wonderful job! :clap:

In fact, I think I can improve my picture (especially the modeling of the girls' faces) better by studying your painting than by referring to the original ref photo. :evil: (Flash usually kills shadows, and I'm not experienced enough at portraits yet to put them back in.)

SwitzerS
05-23-2004, 08:44 PM
You have really done them justice so far - I like it.

cmwynn
05-23-2004, 11:09 PM
You may be learning, but you're far ahead of most of us. These girls are charmers and look very sweet here.
Connie

Drumbeat-trish
05-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Geeeeeez I'd call this a success - an absolutley delightful version of this wonderful little scene :clap: :clap: :clap:

xreader
05-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Very nice background and wood textures. I really like your handling of the shading on the little girls' dresses. That light green mint color is very crisp. :D

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
D/d you've captured the expressions so well and the hands and arms are masterful!
Sorry to be so late in viewing - too much gardening!!! Glad I found this though! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sharrm
05-28-2004, 10:30 PM
I agree with Maureen(Charlie's Mum) you have done such a wonderful painting, from a very hard subject to do. You have caught the expression on their faces very well. You should be proud of this one. It's a great start on painting children. :clap: :clap: Sharron

sundiver
05-29-2004, 04:15 PM
The little girl on the right is adorable!

katju
05-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes, the little girls are adorable, Hayley and Hannah :) I don't think you have far to go in your practice. The likesness look pretty good!

I can absolutely relate to your wet-in-wet problems as I have done the exact thing many times. Matter of fact, feeling that way about my painting this weekend. One for the round file or to use for testing colors :) Watercolor is one of those magnificently mysterious mediums :D I always have to remind myself to slow down and let it dry first but somehow my hand always goes right ahead and does what it wants.

Kathy