PDA

View Full Version : WDE 5 22 Dylan

Chiers
05-23-2004, 03:42 PM
I lost track but somewhere around 1hr and 45min so far. Digital painting done in painter 8. No trace, no clone, no any of the other digi stuff.
Thought maybe I should add...this isn't finished yet as if you can't tell. lol

Chiers
05-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Gee, this was about ready to slip off the front page without a single comment. :confused:

ams
05-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Glad you brought it back up.

I don't know anything about the digital techniques but the effects are interesting.

I like how the jeans came out. It reminds me of oil pastel.

Anne

roslyn
05-23-2004, 06:01 PM
What a cutie! Love those chubby cheeks, and colors you've put in his pants, jacket and hat.

Roslyn

xreader
05-23-2004, 07:27 PM
A very nice beginning! :) Please post the finish.

katju
05-23-2004, 07:50 PM
HI Sherry,

I don't know anything about digital painting but it seems like it might be harder than regular painting minus the mess. It's looking good, like a photograph, nice and crisp! :clap:

This reminds me that mine isn't done yet! I'm still working on an eye problem. I thought I should just paint a patch over it because when I cover it up I think I have a likeness :D lol

Kathy

stoney
05-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Gee, this was about ready to slip off the front page without a single comment. :confused:

Just now saw it. Excellant start! :)

SwitzerS
05-23-2004, 08:39 PM
This is going to be really cheerful - great job.

Deano
05-23-2004, 10:10 PM
A lot of character and personality in this painting. Super start.

cmwynn
05-23-2004, 11:15 PM
The look on his face is priceless. You have definite mastery of the technique.
Connie

Chiers
05-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Well it's done. About another hour into it.

I don't know anything about digital painting but it seems like it might be harder than regular painting minus the mess.

Kathy I guess it depends on who you talk to but in my opinion digital painting is quite a bit easier than traditional painting. Only because it's so easy to fix things until you get it right. Once you learn how to use the digital painting programs the rest is a snap. Providing of course that you are an artist to begin with.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

dabblerdot
05-24-2004, 02:50 AM
Ooooohhhh !!! This is delightful ! From the impish look on his face, to the texture of his pants, to that fascinating rockwork background, this is a visual treat ! :clap: :clap:

Leslie_Ann
05-24-2004, 03:02 AM
I love the feel of this. I really have to have another go at Painter soon! It's very moody. You've made him look like a very old, wise soul. :)

lorna12
05-24-2004, 04:42 AM
:clap: :clap: Wonderful, Sherry! I don't know how I missed it first time around! You sure seem to have good control with....what? a mouse?

I have tried a bit of digi painting since I have seen it in the WDE's, but I find I can't get the mouse to do what I want it to. :rolleyes:

Way to go! :clap:

Precious Mazie
05-24-2004, 09:21 AM
Yes the WDE's are getting really popular, I always look on page two just to make sure I look at everyones work! This was well worth looking at! He is to cute and so well done. :clap:

FriendCarol
05-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Neat work! Look forward to seeing a final version (later this week, sometime?). Will you put background color over that white area with colored lines, or does that represent something I've forgotten in the original ref photo?

Digital work seems easier to me, too. I've done very little, really: mostly just a few PSP images to illustrate Web sites (usually backgrounds for short poems). But being able to completely remove what's there -- then immediately put it back again with only slight changes (instead of starting over from scratch), seemed to help me see with more precision. When retouching a photo, for example, I can erase or lighten a single line and see exactly what effect that single change makes to the whole face. Or I can alter just part of an eyebrow line -- really very enlightening!

What other media do you like to work in, and does your digital art help you do any of it? I think if I had PSP on my online (with scanner) PC, instead of only on the offline PC, I would often preview a change digitally before actually putting it on a watercolor.

Chiers
05-24-2004, 01:18 PM
:clap: :clap: Wonderful, Sherry! I don't know how I missed it first time around! You sure seem to have good control with....what? a mouse?

I have tried a bit of digi painting since I have seen it in the WDE's, but I find I can't get the mouse to do what I want it to. :rolleyes:

Way to go! :clap:

Oh no Lorna, I don't think I would have had the patience to continue with digital painting if I used a mouse. I did when I first began but soon got myself a wacom tablet and stylus. It soon becomes just as natural to use as if you are using a real brush.

Chiers
05-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Neat work! Look forward to seeing a final version (later this week, sometime?). Will you put background color over that white area with colored lines, or does that represent something I've forgotten in the original ref photo?

Digital work seems easier to me, too. I've done very little, really: mostly just a few PSP images to illustrate Web sites (usually backgrounds for short poems). But being able to completely remove what's there -- then immediately put it back again with only slight changes (instead of starting over from scratch), seemed to help me see with more precision. When retouching a photo, for example, I can erase or lighten a single line and see exactly what effect that single change makes to the whole face. Or I can alter just part of an eyebrow line -- really very enlightening!

What other media do you like to work in, and does your digital art help you do any of it? I think if I had PSP on my online (with scanner) PC, instead of only on the offline PC, I would often preview a change digitally before actually putting it on a watercolor.

You must have missed the second pic I uploaded Carol. The finished one is there already.

I started painting many yrs ago with oils, but now I have experimented with almost everything. I play with acrylic a lot now. Yes, the digital programs often help me work out a traditional painting! From the colors I try to the placement of elements in the painting.

Psp is a great program, especially ver.8. It was my first program and I used it for quite a while before I discovered I could actually paint with it using the very same methods I do traditionally. I am somewhat a "purist" I guess when it comes to calling a digital work a painting. Digital programs have lots of great filters and effects that can be used for many things. I have and do use them but never call a work done while using them a painting.

I do use the color picker on occasion, and layers, and the undo but otherwise my digital paintings are created in exactly the same manner as if a literal canvas and brush were before me. Same techniques, just different tools but no filters or effects except for the very rare occasion I may use them on a backgrounds but seldom. I don't like painting backgrounds.

Drumbeat-trish
05-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Nice job on this little chap - you have really caught that impish grin :) :D :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2004, 05:30 PM
I found this on p2 Chiers - nearly missed it and glad I didn't!
Thought at first you'd chickened out on the feet - silly me! (smacks hand!)
I'm late in commenting - too much gardening - but perhaps it's as well, because this is now being bumped up to the top of p1!
I also chose Dylan - but in OPs.
Nice work here! :clap: :clap:

Sharrm
05-29-2004, 04:55 AM
I don't know anything about digital painting, but I know what I like, and this is very well done. You caught his impish look very well. :) :clap: Sharron

sundiver
05-29-2004, 04:12 PM
I love the color in this...very, um, Dutch Baroque maybe? Anyway it's very cool, very traditional looking for an ultra-modern medium.
I some ways digital painting may be easier - the delete function especially- but controlling a plastic stick on a plastic tablet takes some getting used to, as I'm discovering myself.

Jet
05-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Sherry,
i have no words, as you know i'm a big fan :clap:

btw, did you post this painting at the DigiArt Forum ?

don't recall :confused:
:cool:

Chiers
05-31-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone! :D

Jet....I just did.

katju
05-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Great job Sherry! Now, I think I'll have to post what I've gotten done. I think I'm going to redo the whole thing so I can include his feet which didn't fit on my paper. :)

Kathy

xreader
05-31-2004, 07:09 PM
I love the plaid(?) jacket, and the rock bg. A very fine painting! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yokovich
05-31-2004, 09:24 PM
this is great! he looks like he is planning a way to turn the hydrant on.
great work on this! exceptional "urban" palette --the background has a graffiti look :)