PDA

View Full Version : Melancholia

ArtBabe
09-18-2001, 01:59 AM
Hello good people,

First of all, condolences to all that have been affected directly by the tragedies in New York and D.C. I am heartbroken for you, as well as for our country and our world.

I have been lurking at WC for a couple of months now before posting, but had my first show last weekend and feel confident to share one of my paintings. This one has evoked very strong emotions in the few that have seen it, as I hoped it would. An expressive portrait of my brother during a very sad time in his life. It's the first time I've strayed from "pretty", so be kind! Been painting for less than three years, so very far from mastery.

By the way, Milt, I have looked at your site and showed it to others...beautiful, painterly work. Something I aspire to. And love that retro feel. Shades of Hopper, although totally original. If those are your friends, I'd love to party with y'all.

All the best to all of you from the hills of Kentucky! Barbara

4vincent
09-18-2001, 06:08 AM
Hi "neighbor" and welcome to WC;

You'll find a lot of nice helpful people here.

I like the colors and the moodiness of this piece; also checked out your site...a lot of nice variety...keep it up! Ken

teixman
09-18-2001, 06:10 AM
This is a very good composition that i like a lot.
Colors are bright and well contrasted, and a strong personality hides in each brush stroke.
If you are less than three years painting your technique can improve still a lot. To improve this painting, I will darken a little the background as it seems to have a pink hue, make some corrections to the table in order to have a plain surface, and blend a little the colors of the right arm.
Hoping to see more pieces of your work!

Luvy
09-18-2001, 09:30 AM
Welcome to Wet Canvas *S* Kind of scarey at first to post your work especially when you're a newbie like me to painting *S* But eveyone here has been helpful. I feel I've progressed because of the comments I've received here. Looks like you are well on your way. Checked out your homepage. Nice work *S*

Oh forgot something. I use to live in Ky until 11 years ago when I moved to Florida. I was from Florence Ky. Hello used to be neighbor *S* I love it here in Fl.

jerryW
09-18-2001, 10:14 AM
among the pictures I saw on your site I like this one best.
the others are often prettier and more accurate renderings of actual people and places, but here you break the mould more effectively and go for a totality of expression.

there is only a small problem on this one in the red area between the oval framed object and your brother's arm. In this space some diagonal treatment has been applied in the same direction as the forearm's diagonal. The space would come together a bit better if this were going the other way making the picture bind toghether as a whole better (a suble tension thing).

ArtBabe
10-02-2001, 01:21 AM
Hello all,

Ken:

Glad to be here, thanks for the welcome. Been told I need to get over this "variety thang" and settle on a style. ;-)

Teixman:

"Strong personality"
Boy are your right on! I see what you are saying about the pink, although it is not as bright in the original. Still learning to use the camera and (really cheap, read "free") editing software. Did you mean to blend the right arm or left? I was more concerned that the left was distracting, so was surprised by that comment. Wasn't too concerned with blending, as you can see by the rest of painting. I do see that the table might read as being "wavy".

Luvy:

Thank you for your kind comments. Yes, this has been very helpful, even the first time. I noticed in one of your posts that you were pleased to be in FL instead of KY. I have to tell you, your native land suits me well. Moved here 10 years ago and don't plan on leaving for awhile--love it! Green everywhere.

Jerry:

Ok, I think I'm in love. Only "one problem"? Doubtful, but thank you all the same. This is my favorite picture too, and over the weekend I gave the pastel study to my sister-in-law while I was a guest in her home. Now she and her daughter will have to fight over it. Oh, back to business, could you explain further your tension comment? Does it have to exist in a painting for it to be successful? Or just in this one?

Thanks all!

Impulse
10-02-2001, 02:02 AM
good light and shadow treatment
strong and engaging colours
nice touches on the table, bottle, glass
good expression and pose

welcome to wc

Cap
10-02-2001, 06:23 AM
Great painting! I love the colors you have used, the boldness is just my cup of tea!

Jerry is talking about the red diagonal in the mirror and the red diagonal in his arm. If one were going in a different direction it would give the whole a more tied in feel.
But only an artful eye would catch it me thinks.

Well done! You are going to go far!!

jerryW
10-02-2001, 08:10 AM
absolutely not required, merely mentionable.
don't fall in love too easily, I will get in a lot of trouble.

mame
10-02-2001, 08:31 AM
Hey ArtBabe, "i'm in love" is MY line. The competition for all the hot babes here is ruthless!

Expressionism's hard to resist. Red's a toughy to carry off. Think you did a bang up job of it. Try using less white. Experiment with color for light/shadow/variation in background.

AmyH
10-02-2001, 01:49 PM
rofl, mame.

welcome art, congrats on your show.

amy

cagathoc
10-02-2001, 01:53 PM
Welcome to WC!

I like the painting of the peppers from your site very much - very phallic... :D

important post script: everyone is in love with Jerry but he'll piss you off too - just wait!

Cap
10-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Lol caga!!!

AmyH
10-02-2001, 03:18 PM
um im not in love with jerry..im in love with;

oh yeah and *************

:p

i agree with the piss you off part ;) oh, uh, hi jerry, lol

amy

pampe
10-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Intensely delicious.....haven't been to your site yet, but welcome....

Pam

*feeling left out that she hasn't been pissed off by Jerry yet*

jerryW
10-02-2001, 04:13 PM
being nauseous is close to a religious experience
being pissed off is close to being in love
I apologize in advance for everything
course I don't expect to do anything

ArtBabe
10-02-2001, 09:41 PM
What spirit, y'all! You make me laugh...

See you soon with another!;)

allanom
10-02-2001, 09:59 PM
What nervy colour! And pulled off with panache! The rendering of the bottle, etc. on the table's a killer. I like this a lot.

YLCIA
10-02-2001, 11:31 PM
Wow! What a wonderful painting! The colors and expression are awesome.

Julia