PDA

View Full Version : Bush Babies.....clay sculpture

Sculpi
09-18-2001, 01:50 AM
Hi everyone
This isnt finished but it is drying.....it is done from clay and I will give it a bronze like finish.....
Hope you like it

Leila

wendee
09-18-2001, 05:43 AM
Hi Leila..this is gorgeous...will look great in bronze...:D Hugs

what sort of clay is it that you used...? does it need firing or is it air dried clay?? thanks

yogi
09-18-2001, 12:00 PM
You've captured the innocent look of childhood. This piece is nice. Thank you for showing it to us. I agree with Wendee...will look good with bronze coloring. Indeed, what clay did you use?

Sculpi
09-18-2001, 02:48 PM
Thank you for your kind remarks :)
I normaly use a medium fire terra cotta but I left my kiln and most everything else back in the States. I found this type of clay that a man makes locally. It is an air dry clay that has polymer in it. I have done a number of pieces in it so far and it seems to work well. The main problem I find is there is coarse bits in it that make details and skin hard to do

Leila

wendee
09-19-2001, 04:49 AM
Hope you dont mind me asking you another question Leila..but was wondering what Polymer is...I have some air dried clay but I dont think it has polymer in it....:D :D HUGS...thanks

Sculpi
09-19-2001, 04:35 PM
Hi Wendee
I enjoy answering ;)
Polymer is like liquid plastic......lots of household glues have it in it...that runny white stuff.
The only reason I knew it was in the clay was I talked to the man that makes the type I get. I assume your clay has it in it too. That is what makes it air dry.
The same man wants me to make some animals for him to make moulds of......that should be interesting.

Leila

wendee
09-19-2001, 09:27 PM
Leila..thanks so much for your reply...I wanted to do somethimg with the clay but was not game to as i dont know anything about it.....:D :D
wow good on ya ..about doing the animals...:D

I had asked on wetcanvas about air drying clay and was told that it was not a good Idea to use it as it cracked as it dried...so Thats why all the questions from me...lol..lol..HUGS

Sculpi
09-19-2001, 09:35 PM
No Problem :)
Any clay will crack if you dont construct it properly and dry it too fast...partially cover it a while to slow it down .....its so hot and dry in Sydney in the summer I think you have to.
Remember that the pro sculptors always are experts at repairing cracks :) :)
Sculptures put a lot of stress on clay so they are to be expected and are part of the building process

Leila

wendee
09-20-2001, 01:43 AM
Leila Thanks again for your advice...well now Iam going to do something in clay been wanting to get my hand on it...lol..lol..

yes a lady in the art shop told me that it should be dried slowly..so as soon as I get these projects finished...Iam jumping into my clay...lol.. thanks again for all your help...HUGS:D :D