PDA

View Full Version : Rudall Lakes

Marty C
05-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi All,
This is Rudall Lakes in Rudall River National Park, a very remote park in the desert interior of Western Australia. The lakes are rarely full, and fill usually after a tropical low or cyclone has passed over the catchment somewhere. The colours are amazing, this is from a friend's photo (thanks Simon) and I have tried to do the scene justice. This is 750mm by 1000mm (30ins by 40ins) on gallery wrapped canvas. C&C always welcome, X posted in Landscapes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2004/16809-Rudall_Lakes1.jpg

MonicaB
05-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Wow, the colors really *are* amazing. And that's a huge painting. Very well done!

ExpressiveAngie
05-23-2004, 11:17 AM
I really thought it was the reference picture for a moment. So beautiful, the sky so full of light, the distance so realistic and even the cracks in the foreground believable. Please tell me this took you a long time so I will feel better. :p
I really really love this :clap:

Eugene Veszely
05-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Another stunner!!! :clap:

I wish I had the funds to paint on big canvases like that. :(

Lady Carol
05-23-2004, 04:59 PM
It is amazing Marty how you can take nothing and make it stunning. I mean there is nothing there like most of Oz. The sky is brill.

artistjan
05-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi Marty - haven't seen you in a while!

This is wonderful - I wish I could see your paintings in real life :)

Anita Orsini
05-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Most amazing.
Anita :clap:

Marty C
05-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi Monica - Thanks very much, it's the colours that make this work, the landscape terrain wise is flat and boring.
Hi Angie - You are making my head swell something shocking! This took around 10 hours to do, not too bad.
Hi Eugene - thanks again. I make all my own canvases and one this size with frame and everything only costs around $15 - $20, which is not bad for the size.
Hi Carol - the real credit for this should go to Simon Neville, a friend of mine and a very good photographer who has kindly sent me some pics to have a look at and work on if I wish. He has the eye for composition and colour in this one.
Hi Jan - Thanks! I've been very busy travelling most of April for work and vacation and since I've been back I have been working, painting and hanging out in Marine art a lot too. I try to get here as much as possible, time is sooo short!
Hi Anita - much appreciated.

Eugene Veszely
05-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi Eugene - thanks again. I make all my own canvases and one this size with frame and everything only costs around $15 - $20, which is not bad for the size.

I wouldnt think you could get just the canvas for that little...

printzessofthenorth
05-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Marty,

Gorgeous use of color! :clap: I think I want to be one of your paintings when I'm reincarnated! :D

debbie

Marty C
05-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Hi Eugene - I buy the canvas in 4m rolls which gives me around six 1000 by 750 works. Have a look at my article in studio tips on how I put them together.
Hi Debbie - now that's a compliment I haven't heard before and very nice it is too. Thanks

Eugene Veszely
05-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Hi Eugene - I buy the canvas in 4m rolls which gives me around six 1000 by 750 works. Have a look at my article in studio tips on how I put them together.

I will...I must have missed it when a read it ages ago :rolleyes: :)

printzessofthenorth
05-26-2004, 10:01 AM
...Hi Debbie - now that's a compliment I haven't heard before and very nice it is too. Thanks

Most welcome. It was heart-felt.

debbie

HRH Goldie
05-27-2004, 05:55 AM
Hi Marty,
Well what can I say that hasn't already been said?
It is a superb piece and would love a dominant piece of work like this in my home.
The whole piece works so well, the wispiness of the clouds to the vibrant and stunning use of colour, right down to the barrenness (is this a word :o ) of the foreground and the superb rendition of the cracks.
Its weird because I was always told to unite sky and earth by trying to cross some of the colours on the pallette used for the earth into the sky. This painting proves that not to be the case and I love it all.
Only thing is it makes you thirsty looking at it lol! :clap: :clap: :clap:
PS If you want to donate it to charity - I will change my name to Charity!!!!! :D
Christine

RottenScoundrel
05-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Cool! Makes me feel far away from everything. I wish I could make clouds like that!

Marty C
05-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi Christine - charity begins at home so thats where it's staying, at home! :D
Thanks for the compliments but you do raise a good point in maintaining colour unity throughout the work. Larry Seiler is a stickler for it, with good reason as it really does help in making a work harmonious to the eye. In this case I have brought some of the sky colour into the mid ground through use of the whites and to a lesser extent some lighter areas in the foreground - sort of a reverse of ground colours into the sky.
Hi RottenScoundrel - I'm glad you get that feeling because at Rudall River you are about as far away from everything as you can possibly get!

Bioartist
05-28-2004, 10:41 AM
I feel like my feet are getting wet - beautiful job. :D

Marty C
05-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks very much, Bioartist.

HRH Goldie
05-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Martycharity begins at home
So it should ;)
Your family should be very proud :clap:
Christine