PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of lurking mode!

Merethe T
05-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new here! (well, sort of..)

Been lurkin' around here for a long time, am new to pastels also, and have learned so much from all the talented people in here! I really love working with pastels, it is really the first time I've worked in colors also, so there's just sooo much to learn! (A little overwhelming actually... :) )

Now I feel it's time to participate in this wonderful community, this is such a great place to learn,and since I live in a small town in Norway there are'nt many possibilities to meet other artists, or to take classes (none, actually).
I find WC an exellent way to meet others, and to get c&c to grow as an artist - I'm here to learn, and hopefully find my own style in time.

Before I go ahead an post my work I wanted to ask what the policy is, as my first finished pastel work is the work of another artist. To get started with my new set of rembrandts I chose the "old way" - learn by copying the masters - feeling rather overwhelmed by all the colors and choises, lol! Earlier I've just played around with graphite pencils, and colors opened up a whole new world to me.

I really don't want to break the rules here, so I hope someone can answere me - is it ok to post copy's of other artists work, when it is for learning purposes? I don't sell any of my work, and won't take credit for it - this was my way of getting started.

And - I hope I've posted this in the right section - love the new system, I've hoped for a re-organizing of the pastel section, makes it so much easier to find what you're looking for!

Cravia

Deborah Secor
05-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the neighborhood officially, Cravia! Glad you decided to stop lurking and join us for real.

I think it's fine for you to post your copied painting as long as you make it clear, as you already have, that it was for learning purposes and tell us who the original artist was. I've seen posts where people worked from the paintings of modern master pastelists, such as Elizabeth Mowry, for instance, and I know others have copied the masters--so show us what you did!

One thing to keep in mind, post your image in one of the studios, depending on whether it's soft pastels or oil pastels. Right now you're in Pastel Talk. If you post it in a studio people will see and comment on it more.

I can't wait to see what you have done!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
05-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Hey, welcome to the pastel forum! Glad to see you have "come out". I think it is ok to post work you have copied, as long as you say it is a copy. I think a lot of us learned that way. And if I'm wrong, I will surely be corrected!!
If you have been lurking, and reading here, you will know that everyone here is friendly and helpful. So just have fun. Look forward to seeing your work.

Merethe T
05-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the answeres, and for responding so quickly!

I guess it's ok than, so I'll just head on over to the soft pastels studio, and give it a go! Now I'll just have to figure out how to post an image, have never done that before! ;)

And thank you for the nice welcome, I'm sure I'll have a great time in here!

Ok, gonna find a thread on the uploader thingy - never done that before...