PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 22

stoney
05-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Acrylic on matboard 9-3/4 X 7-1/2 inches after about an hour.

My original thought was to turn the clouds into "two horses" with the title:
"Ghost Riders in the Sky." You'd see the reins in 'grasping position' and 'stirrups,' but no riders.

I decided to do more of a landscape, although I may merge the 'riders' as well.

The 'land' and the power poles and wire were all done using a toothpick. It's still the 'initial set' and once it is done then I can do subtleties on shading.

hopefulbucky
05-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Stoney, I can understand the power poles and fence with a toothpick but the grass and sand as well? Man how do you do that? What medium do you use? Will be interested to see if you do "ghost riders in the sky" LOL Isn't that an oldie song? Great job so far.

purplelizard
05-23-2004, 12:51 AM
omigosh, painting with toothpicks!? Silly me, and I think a 1/2" brush is small! :D

Anxious to see it finished - I love the "ghost riders" possibility! And I really like what you have so far! keep up the good work!

Dyin
05-23-2004, 12:55 AM
I like your idea! I like how you're using the red in the landscape part, can't wait to see the clouds...horselike or not.

stoney
05-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Stoney, I can understand the power poles and fence with a toothpick but the grass and sand as well? Man how do you do that? What medium do you use? Will be interested to see if you do "ghost riders in the sky" LOL Isn't that an oldie song? Great job so far.

Acrylic paint on matboard. Yes, the grass and sand as well. As to how I did it, ( chuckle ) put it down to ignorance as I didn't know it couldn't be done that way. I used a drop of paint and thinned it with about 4 drops of water and mixed it roughly with a toothpick. I wanted colour variances.

For the long drops I used a vertical stroke with burnt umber. For the short ones, I short scratched it in and varied the angle of the stroke as well as how much pigment was on the toothpick.

Same thing with the grass. It wasn't difficult, but it was somewhat time consuming.

Yes, "ghost riders in the sky" is an old Doors tune.

I had originally thought to have just a skyscape and title it "Riders on the Storm," which is an old Doors tune, as well.

I really didn't have anything planned with the landscape. It just turned out this way. I'm pretty pleased with it though, as it does look like somewhat rough terrain and erosion.

Yokovich
05-23-2004, 01:20 AM
this has great energy stoney!! great work!! :clap:

Deano
05-23-2004, 02:15 AM
I like the look so far, Stoney. nice variances. Didn't a group like "The Sons of the Pioneers" have "Ghost Riders in the Sky" way, way back there...(my daddy told me about them). Lol. :D :D

SwitzerS
05-23-2004, 08:43 AM
I would say this is definitely a different interpretation - great job so far...and I do think that "Ghost Riders in the Sky" is even older than the Doors for sure. But my memory has failed me before..... ;) :confused: :clap: :clap:

Precious Mazie
05-23-2004, 09:37 AM
I want to see this one finished. I have a similar idea rattling around in my head but having trouble getting down on paper. This is a great start and wonder idea. :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
05-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Nice toothpick work :) :) Now you know you got both those songs going round and round in my head :P lol

lorna12
05-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I think my mom had a record (remember them? ;) ) by Frankie Lane (sp) called Ghost Riders in the Sky.

I can't wait to see what you decide....it will be neat know matter which way you go. Good job with the toothpicks!! :D :clap: :clap:

katju
05-23-2004, 03:23 PM
HI Stoney,

You've got some nice colors and textures started. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the sky :)

Kathy

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:23 PM
omigosh, painting with toothpicks!? Silly me, and I think a 1/2" brush is small! :D

Anxious to see it finished - I love the "ghost riders" possibility! And I really like what you have so far! keep up the good work!

Toothpick is the only way I could think of to do the land part, especially the grass. It's a strong tool and speeds things up, imo. I don't know if I'll be able to work on it today, or not. If I'm doing better I will. Thank you for the kind words. :)

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:25 PM
I like your idea! I like how you're using the red in the landscape part, can't wait to see the clouds...horselike or not.

Thank you! :) I suspect once I get the landscape done I'll have a better idea.

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:26 PM
this has great energy stoney!! great work!! :clap:

Thank you. I think I'm making progress.... :)

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:28 PM
I like the look so far, Stoney. nice variances. Didn't a group like "The Sons of the Pioneers" have "Ghost Riders in the Sky" way, way back there...(my daddy told me about them). Lol. :D :D

Thank you, Deano. :) I'm sure there's been many groups who have used that, and other titles, in their various works.....

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:30 PM
I would say this is definitely a different interpretation - great job so far...and I do think that "Ghost Riders in the Sky" is even older than the Doors for sure. But my memory has failed me before..... ;) :confused: :clap: :clap:

Thank you. :) Sure, title(s) are used, amused, and abused over and over. The titles remain the same but the music changes. :evil:

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:33 PM
I want to see this one finished. I have a similar idea rattling around in my head but having trouble getting down on paper. This is a great start and wonder idea. :clap:

There's only a few I haven't finished, mostly when techniques I haven't learned yet are involved. I don't see anything to keep me from finishing. And thank you for the encouragement. :)

{well, I did warn everyone I had an off-beat sense of humour and everything was 'grist for the mill') :evil:

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Nice toothpick work :) :) Now you know you got both those songs going round and round in my head :P lol

Thanks....I kept picking at it... ;)

/innocent look
seperately, or merged version(s)?

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:37 PM
I think my mom had a record (remember them? ;) ) by Frankie Lane (sp) called Ghost Riders in the Sky.

I can't wait to see what you decide....it will be neat know matter which way you go. Good job with the toothpicks!! :D :clap: :clap:

The oldest record I've got is a single sided 78, about 3/8 inch thick and was pressed in either 1902 or 1906.

I was a pickin' and a grinin' at the same tyme! :)

stoney
05-23-2004, 03:39 PM
HI Stoney,

You've got some nice colors and textures started. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the sky :)

Kathy

Thank yea, kindly, and so am I!

Hmmmm.....ground hitched?
hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

stoney
05-23-2004, 07:51 PM
WDE after 100 minutes. Next thing is the trees and then work on the sky.

roslyn
05-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Now this one's a looker! Luscious sky you have going there, and I like the terrain. Working with a toothpick? Whew! I look forward to following your progress. Was it just two weeks ago that someone had all of us humming the "Hoky Poky"? I'll be humming the Doors for the rest of the day.

BTW, the first time I ever saw something done from a WDE was a WIP you posted on Drawing & Sketching that had you drawing a lighthouse from a very different perspective from what was in the ref pic. Did you finish it and post it somewhere and I missed it? If so, could you tell me where I could find it?

Roslyn

blonde_sanity
05-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Lovely work so far!

And YAY for the Doors song, 'Riders on the Storm'... one of my favourite bands, one of their best songs! :clap:

dabblerdot
05-24-2004, 02:19 AM
I haven't been around long, Stoney, but this is my favourite of your paintings so far !! :clap: :clap: The sky is glorious, the earth warm and rich ! Love it all! (And with a toothpick- are you a crazy-man ? :evil: :D (just kidding) This is a great, if exhausting technique !
As a baby in the late '40's Ghost Riders in the Sky " was my favourite song- too young to know to be scared of ghosts! And I thought Vaughn Monroe ( or Munroe) sang it... I thought I recalled the nasal drawl. Could be wrong, but I'll never admit it :D :D

xreader
05-25-2004, 02:51 AM
Very colorful, stoney...Am looking forword to seeing your trees. :clap: :clap: :clap:

stoney
05-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Now this one's a looker! Luscious sky you have going there, and I like the terrain. Working with a toothpick? Whew! I look forward to following your progress. Was it just two weeks ago that someone had all of us humming the "Hoky Poky"? I'll be humming the Doors for the rest of the day.

BTW, the first time I ever saw something done from a WDE was a WIP you posted on Drawing & Sketching that had you drawing a lighthouse from a very different perspective from what was in the ref pic. Did you finish it and post it somewhere and I missed it? If so, could you tell me where I could find it?

Roslyn

(blushing profusely) Thank you :) Yes, the landscape was all done with a toothpick.

Yes, that was the March 6 WDE I entitled "Through the glass darkly."
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172739

As an exercise, I rotated things so the viewer was standing directly in front of the window looking in. I did finish it and you can see things inside. :)

stoney
05-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Lovely work so far!

And YAY for the Doors song, 'Riders on the Storm'... one of my favourite bands, one of their best songs! :clap:

Thank you... :)

'Riders on the Storm' is excellant. 'C'mon baby light my fire' is another good one. They certainly had a heck of a lot of excellant work.

stoney
05-25-2004, 10:20 PM
I haven't been around long, Stoney, but this is my favourite of your paintings so far !! :clap: :clap: The sky is glorious, the earth warm and rich ! Love it all! (And with a toothpick- are you a crazy-man ? :evil: :D (just kidding) This is a great, if exhausting technique !
As a baby in the late '40's Ghost Riders in the Sky " was my favourite song- too young to know to be scared of ghosts! And I thought Vaughn Monroe ( or Munroe) sang it... I thought I recalled the nasal drawl. Could be wrong, but I'll never admit it :D :D

Thank you. I just started mucking about with art last december. This is all brand new territory for me.

Hmmm....am I crazy? (pondering) Must be.... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Well, I am ex-USN and a retired USAF 'electron pusher.' I've never heard of anyone either in the USN or in the electronics field ever 'playing with a full deck'......(monster grin)

Exhausting technique? I didn't find it to be.

stoney
05-25-2004, 10:20 PM
Very colorful, stoney...Am looking forword to seeing your trees. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Trees...(cringe) Virgin territory.......

stoney
05-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Final, I think, right about at 2 hrs. total time. For the trees I used a toothpick. For the clouds I used two different brushes.

Charlie's Mum
05-26-2004, 02:47 PM
I've heard about cows jumping over the moon - but dynosaurs in the sky????????? :D
Love the vigorous brush strokes in the sky and the ground work. :clap:
Will pop back later to read this thread!

lorna12
05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
For having just started 'mucking about' with art last Dec., you are really catching on fast! Love the Ghost riders! :D If you liked using the toothpick maybe pointillism is another thing you might like to try. Saves the step of dipping into the paint.

stoney
05-26-2004, 07:57 PM
I've heard about cows jumping over the moon - but dynosaurs in the sky????????? :D
Love the vigorous brush strokes in the sky and the ground work. :clap:
Will pop back later to read this thread!

Sure! :) They're even-tempered; soar all the time...(runs very fast) And they're always grazing (sometimes on airplanes).... :) And humans think airplane food is bad!...... ;)

Thank yea kindly. I'm glad to know it worked. :)

stoney
05-26-2004, 08:00 PM
For having just started 'mucking about' with art last Dec., you are really catching on fast! Love the Ghost riders! :D If you liked using the toothpick maybe pointillism is another thing you might like to try. Saves the step of dipping into the paint.

(blushing profusely) Thank you..... I've not heard of pointillism (/me bites tongue to head off a pun cascade) :) A toothpick was the best tool for me for what I was looking to do-no bent bristles.