PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Pigs

sassybird
09-17-2001, 09:00 PM
This is a multi medium piece. The base is stretched satin. The pigs and other objects are made by using different strengths of bleach and water. I also used gold acrylic for some of the line work, and topped it all off with cording apprx. the same color as the satin, but was laced with gold.

bug
09-18-2001, 04:46 PM
Sassy you just amaze me I bet you were one of those kids that mom had to chase around for getting into everything! (he-he) this is really amazing I love the lines all over! Now I'm wondering with all these idea's you come up with what do you do with all this stuff? or rather do you have any pictures of this type work displayed around the house? Your just fool of idea's!:clap:

colorme
09-18-2001, 08:38 PM
sassy i like everything about this piece, I love the the lines everywhere..very creative:)

sassybird
09-19-2001, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by bug
Sassy you just amaze me I bet you were one of those kids that mom had to chase around for getting into everything! (he-he) this is really amazing I love the lines all over! Now I'm wondering with all these idea's you come up with what do you do with all this stuff? or rather do you have any pictures of this type work displayed around the house? Your just fool of idea's!:clap:

Yes, I have to admit I was a handful when I was growing up, and I still am according to my husband ;) He has the patients of a saint. With some of the things I bring into the house I am surprised he hasn't moved to the shop so that I have more room.........lol I have a huge tumble weed on top of my kitchen cabinets, A 6' weed in my living room. My husband encourages me. I also have a wasp nest that is about 14 inches long and 12 across. The other day he brought home a huge sage brush that was weathered and dried. He said it was the largest he had ever seen then asked where I was going to put it. So, you see I still get into things only mostly outdoors these days. The desert is too much of a temptation. If you go to my website you can see some pictures of lichen encrusted lava and rocks. I have a few small ones I have brought home.

bug
09-19-2001, 06:40 AM
Cool sounds like hubby is right with you with your creativity.:)
I remember seeing that big bee's nest. (ha-ha) that was huge!:D
Keep posting I'll look forward to your next creation:clap:

impetuous
09-19-2001, 10:37 PM
Sass, I love this! It's a great idea.
A few questions... did you allow each strengh of bleach to dry before doing the next? how did you attach the cord?
I've done lots of tie dying, but the only bleaching I've ever done is to a pair of jeans ...about 17 years ago!
I love the description of your house, LOL, I want to come and feast my eyes on all the goodies that you've collected :)

Leaflin
09-20-2001, 02:39 PM
Hi Sass
I love this.
There is a lot of movement in it.
They really do look like they are dancing.

sassybird
09-20-2001, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by impetuous
Sass, I love this! It's a great idea.
A few questions... did you allow each strengh of bleach to dry before doing the next? how did you attach the cord?
I've done lots of tie dying, but the only bleaching I've ever done is to a pair of jeans ...about 17 years ago!
I love the description of your house, LOL, I want to come and feast my eyes on all the goodies that you've collected :)

You can handle the bleach either way. I prefer just working it all at the same time. Always put the weakest strength down first. The stronger will over power it.

I attached the cord with fabric glue which is archival.

We have only 1500 sq ft and after being here for 18 months I still have boxes piled everywhere...............lol

reynolds
09-22-2001, 06:03 PM
i really like this piece. i imagined what i saw in the lines running over the top. to me it looked like a lady with wild hair watching over the happy pigs.
i have never thought of using bleach so now i wonder what bleach does to acrylics etc. it is so amazing to think of all of the artistic opportunities out there.
i love tumble weed. i think it would be great spray paint onto a canvas through it and see what happens.
gentle and peaceful blessings to all and thanks for sharing this work. i am working up my courage to share a few of my recent peices.

sassybird
09-24-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by reynolds
i really like this piece. i imagined what i saw in the lines running over the top. to me it looked like a lady with wild hair watching over the happy pigs.
i have never thought of using bleach so now i wonder what bleach does to acrylics etc. it is so amazing to think of all of the artistic opportunities out there.
i love tumble weed. i think it would be great spray paint onto a canvas through it and see what happens.
gentle and peaceful blessings to all and thanks for sharing this work. i am working up my courage to share a few of my recent peices.

Thank you for your compliments. I learned that little trick with the bleach from my fibers prof in college. I know one way to use bleach and acrylics. Water the acrylics down and put them in little craft spray bottles. Spray your colors on lightly, allow to completely dry then use your bleach. The medium or hard mix works best. Afterwards you can go back when the bleach is dry and take a stop out made for using with materials block out the portions you want to remain the same then either bleach more or add more color for variety.

Hope I have given you some ideas. Try working on satin, the brighter the color the better the bleach shows up. If you live near a Wal Mart go to the fabrics and arts and crafts dept. There is usually a big bin of left overs from the bolts that you can get dirt cheap.

gsb
11-13-2001, 09:49 PM
Wow! Sort of reverse batik crossed with etching. Sometimes the bleach
might eat right through the cloth - and that could be interesting too.

Too good to leave behind!

Georgia

Gisela
12-02-2001, 11:08 PM
This just tickles me silly! :D :D :D

Dancing, happy pigs! What could possibly be more fun than that?

Gisela

Sparky
12-24-2001, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by sassybird

I know one way to use bleach and acrylics. Water the acrylics down and put them in little craft spray bottles. Spray your colors on lightly, allow to completely dry then use your bleach. The medium or hard mix works best. Afterwards you can go back when the bleach is dry and take a stop out made for using with materials block out the portions you want to remain the same then either bleach more or add more color for variety.

Wow! Some great ideas come to my head with all this... but I missed a point or two:
What do you mean by "the medium or hard stuff works best"?
and "Take a stop out made for using with the materials" - is this some special material I can buy to mask an area?
And have you had bleach eat holes in fabric?

Thanks for sparking more creative ideas for us!

sassybird
12-24-2001, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Sparky

Wow! Some great ideas come to my head with all this... but I missed a point or two:
What do you mean by "the medium or hard stuff works best"?
and "Take a stop out made for using with the materials" - is this some special material I can buy to mask an area?
And have you had bleach eat holes in fabric?

Thanks for sparking more creative ideas for us!

Sparky,

Medium and hard refer to the strenght of the water/bleach mix. I use three strengths, the hardest being the strongest mix. When you work it on satin you bring out other colors in the satin with each strength. I started out with a stretched piece of medium turqoise satin. When I applied the bleach the shade of peach came out, lighter where I used the stronger bleach and darker with the lightest mix.

I will have to get out my catalog to check on the name of the stop out that I buy. It is just like using a stop out or mask with watercolors, only it is made to be used on fibers. You paint it on where you want what is underneath to remain unaffected by your next step. A little soap on a sponge takes it right out when you are ready to remove it.

I work on some pretty sturdy fabrics, but I have seen people use the bleach on silk and other delicate fabrics. You just have to use a weak bleach mix, and not let it sit for long before you rinse the bleach out.