PDA

View Full Version : WDE 5-22-04 Skyscape

Dyin
05-22-2004, 06:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2004/19147-WDE_5-22-04_Skyscape.jpg

I'm pretty excited about this...I am horrid at landscapes so figured the WDE is a good place to practice and these were wonderful pics :clap: this one seemed safest...not much land, lots of sky which I like and do well. But didn't get to work the cloud as much as I wanted what with teeny skyholes and trying to figure out how the heck to get aerial perspective lol! But all in all I think it's the first official landscape I've done...everything else has been a bin liner :p

9x12 dark red art spectrum Colorfix paper
Caran d'Ache and Holbein oil pastels and a little acrylic texture gel to help get the foreground grass to pop a little.

lorna12
05-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Beautiful color in this, Sue. You did a great "1st" here! I chose this one too....love that sky!

Precious Mazie
05-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Beautiful Sky! :clap: I love your use of color!

purplelizard
05-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Gorgeous colors! Amazing for a "first attempt" at landscapes! I think landscapes are easy - people are difficult (to draw, that is!) :)

You need to do more of these!

Bertoni
05-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey Dy:
I love the way the colors meld on the land right under the trees!!! :clap:
Great color!!!! :)

Andrew Rance
05-22-2004, 07:34 PM
This is great for a first attempt at landscapes! It has a vibrancy and immediacy that I think is quite hard to achieve.

FriendCarol
05-22-2004, 07:46 PM
It's great having the WDE for trying new things, isn't it? Your landscape (skyscape) is very appealing; hope this starts you off in a new direction you will come to enjoy!

Dyin
05-22-2004, 07:53 PM
you are all so nice! I really have been frustrated and almost gave up trying landscapes but I've been reading a ton of critiques and trying to understand, so thanks so much for the encouragement, it's going to make it easier the next time! Now I'm off to see everyone elses!

Lanita
05-22-2004, 08:01 PM
This is a gorgeous landscape, your color choices are fantabulous!
Lanita

Drumbeat-trish
05-22-2004, 08:08 PM
this is fabulous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

katju
05-22-2004, 08:09 PM
You know, I kind of feel the same way that you do about landscapes, but I've had a couple of successes here lately. This painting is definitely not a bin liner, Sue. It's overflowing with color and texture. :clap:

Kathy

Yokovich
05-22-2004, 08:11 PM
sue---you don't "do" landscapes?? can't tell that by the look of this!! this absolutely rocks sistah!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dyin
05-22-2004, 08:46 PM
well...if it's mud I can 'do' them :p Thanks again...will keep trying, saw some ones to strive for in other threads today!

bogbeast
05-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Sue, this is wonderful!! Ijust don't think you can claim to be horrid at landscapes after producing this in 2 hours!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Libby

SwitzerS
05-22-2004, 09:07 PM
You done gooood - I love your clouds - and all the rest too. This was my second choice - but printer pooped out, so will save it for later.

Dyin
05-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Sue, this is wonderful!! Ijust don't think you can claim to be horrid at landscapes after producing this in 2 hours!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Libby

dyin....formerly known as horrid :p

hopefulbucky
05-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Congrats on your first landscape. I really love the texture you obtained in your foreground grasses, they look great. But like the plowed fields behind. Love all the colors you put into this painting. Great job, you should be very proud of it.

Dyin
05-22-2004, 11:55 PM
thanks Judy! For the first time ever I'm looking forward to seeing if there'll be landscape refs on the next WDE! Hopefully I'll do better, but I'm fairly pleased...glad you liked the colors because I really tried lol!

stoney
05-23-2004, 12:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2004/19147-WDE_5-22-04_Skyscape.jpg

I'm pretty excited about this...I am horrid at landscapes so figured the WDE is a good place to practice and these were wonderful pics :clap: this one seemed safest...not much land, lots of sky which I like and do well. But didn't get to work the cloud as much as I wanted what with teeny skyholes and trying to figure out how the heck to get aerial perspective lol! But all in all I think it's the first official landscape I've done...everything else has been a bin liner :p

9x12 dark red art spectrum Colorfix paper
Caran d'Ache and Holbein oil pastels and a little acrylic texture gel to help get the foreground grass to pop a little.

Nicely dun!! :clap: :clap:

Deano
05-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Very fine landscape, Sue. You've achieved just the right texture in all the right places. Great color also. :clap: :clap:

YYcat
05-23-2004, 04:22 AM
I love this landscape :clap:

cmwynn
05-23-2004, 03:12 PM
This is so good. I don't do pastels, but am interested that you used gel for texture. Do you use it first, after or with the pastels?
Connie

Dyin
05-23-2004, 03:23 PM
It will work any of those ways. I usually put down a base color and then the gel so I can just skim the highlights over but I also use it thinly as a last coat for a sort of jeweltone effect sometimes. Oil pastel doesn't sit the same way as soft pastels do, so this gives it a layered rather that top blended look.
Thanks Connie, YYcat, Stoney & Deano!

Chiers
05-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Very nice....and your first! I wish I could do as well with op's.

Dyin
05-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Very nice....and your first! I wish I could do as well with op's.
thanks! We have a new oil pastel sub forum over in pastels now...so drop in and maybe we can help! Course, it will be others that help with landscapes :p

roslyn
05-24-2004, 12:26 AM
I can completely identify with the search for a "safe" picture! Great textures on the grass, and the receding fields. Those clouds are cool. :clap: :clap: :clap: on your first landscape.

Roslyn

guilliame
05-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Hey Sue,excited and so you should,that sky and especially those clouds are absolutely wonderful and i love the grass and fields :clap: not sure about the 3 little trees tho :D

xreader
05-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Dyin...As a first landscape, this is a great success. Your colors are so vivid, and the differing textures reallly sing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ams
05-24-2004, 07:15 PM
I tend to shy away from landscapes as well but you inspire me to try one. WDEs are such a wonderful place to experiment and grow.

Beautiful job!

Anne

Dyin
05-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Anne, never thought my landscape would inspire someone else lol! Good for you..it's worth the try. Thanks xreader, Roslyn and Guilli..what, Guilli..you don't like 'lollipop' trees??? teehee

dabblerdot
05-25-2004, 02:31 AM
Great clouds, as all have agreed, but my favourite place is the trees and cropped field adjacent- absolutely delicious colours and suggests so much information about the earth. I gotta admit, I could sure enjoy seeing a whole lot more ground/earth/crops just like this- it's absolutely wonderful ! :clap: :clap:

sundiver
05-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Gimme an "S"!
Gimme a "U"!
Gimme an "E"!
Whattya got?
Sue the o.p.landscape painter! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hope you enjoyed it, because it turned out great.

Ottersong
05-25-2004, 03:01 PM
It turned out great, keep going you definately have a feel for landscapes.

Would you believe that when I looked out the window yesterday that I saw a group of clouds that were almost like what you painted? I was amazed.

Marymc

Dyin
05-25-2004, 05:10 PM
thanks dabblerdot, Ottersong and sundiver....hey, those are 3 cool user names...could be a cool song title!!!! Awww, Wendy...you had me ROTFL...Sue the landscaper!!! Gotta love ya and they were sure smart having you be guide/cheerleader here! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Sorry to be late this week. Saw this earlier but no time to look properly!
It's lovely - particularly the ground I think - so landscapes are no longer off the list for you!!!!! - and get that sky! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm looking closely to see how you use those OPs and try to emulate you a bit with my ancient cheapies! Will also check out the new sub-forum you've mentioned - I'm determined to achieve even a little of your standard!!!!!!!

Dyin
05-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh, do come over...we just started a monthly technique thread and this first month is about learning to get used to and learn to use those OPs different ways. Thanks for your sweet words too!